Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

2005 400 manual shift

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2004, 04:21 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 400 manual shift

oh yea , he screwed you over, my local dealer insulted me to my face and to this day will call me "touble and bad company" to anyone who acompanies me there (not in a jokeing manor) and still I got the winch deal , bracket and all for $69 , and Iam financing,

about tires though, I was thinkin bout sum 27"-28" tires like MudLites, or Super Swampers, or ITP 589 M/T's #1 which do ya'll sudjest ? #2 what can i do to boost more power out of this thing as in cam,big bore kits, carb jet kits, etc. any ideas are welcome,

P.S I know from experience you will never push this 4 wheeler outta anywhere with your 2 hands, maybe a truck or 2 other 4 wheelers, warn 2500ci has saved me count less times , and my AC is only 3 months old

Old 12-23-2004, 12:05 PM
Trailblazer

Yea sounds like your dealer stuck you, but keep trying worst case just get the winch and install it your self just make sure your get the winch plate. It's not that hard. Good thing is I've never needed to use it.

Tires, well the stocks are good for just running around but you will want a good set. I just went throught this with my cat, I took the odd route and bought Swamp Witches in stock size for using the stock rim. All I can say is dang it rides so much easier now I can turn on a dime, so depending on what you want to do, but thats according to you. I trail ride, play in the mud oh and snow so I picked out 3. I couldn't get the DD anymore untill next year due to the dealer but I found the SW for 190 shipped to my door and I really like them. I took a leap of faith because no one uses them or never posted, when I asked but so far so good. I have a pic of them next to the stock tire incase you wanted to see. I would stick with the stock tire size, I've heard horror stories when people go with 26's on the 400, but like I said I didn't need that big so I stayed with the stock tire size.

Swamp witch
dirt devil
mud lites

Old 12-23-2004, 07:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

yea , i had the odd idea of up gradeing....everything.....
I dont keep stock stuff around much lol
engine,trans, drivetrain (front rear axles and diff's),plastic (already changed out the graphics), wheeles tires, and exhaust

Old 12-27-2004, 06:43 PM
Trailblazer

Well I have called Arctic Cat 5 times and have not gotten a live rep or a call back. Maybe the Holidays are the issue or maybe Cat is not what I thought. I luv the 400 and if need be will buy a winch at full price and install myself. Learning lesson![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Old 01-03-2005, 01:53 AM
Pro Rider

I had a very hard time choosing tires. As it turns out, there are WAY too many good choices out there. I looked at what I rode my AC in the most (mudd, sand, rocks, water, gravel roads, hills), Then looked at the cost of the tires that performed the best in what I rode. I chose the 26inch Mudlite tires as they had the taller lugs and are a 6ply tire.

I would defintiely make sure whatever you get has a 6 ply rating as it improves handling and steering over the stock tires.

Also, a side note on your winch. If you are going to sit on you machine while you use the winch be very careful. As a friend of mine just removed the right front fender of his new Suzuki King Quad when his which cable broke while pulling another machine out of the mud and up a hill. He said it snapped back and ripped the fender off like a weedeater cutting grass. Luckily he was not injured as he was leaning in the opposite direction. I use my wich most of the time with me either on the machine or standing next to it. Just check that winch cable for defects and replace it.

And don't let the fact that the dealer is screwing you over the winch deal ruin the fact that you have a new great machine to ring in the new year with.

SJ

Old 01-03-2005, 11:57 AM
Weekend Warrior

Nats, I purchased an 05' 500 Arctic Cat Dec. 23rd. When I asked about the $69 Wench my dealer told me he didn't participate in the nationally advertissed deals. He said that in order to honor such a deal he would have to ask closer to the MSRP for the quads. In which case he couldn't sell them in our area for that amount. That last part I'm quite certain he was correct on because we also have a Honda dealer that sells at vey good prices. Anyway, he hold me that the Dealers were paying the difference betweent he $69 wench and the dealers cost. He said if I wanted the wench he would sell it to me at his cost. I didn't get the exact price but he told me it was around $200 for everything but installation. Maybe as a last resort you can try this option with your dealer.

Maybe I got screwed to. I didn't have any reason to think they were lying to me. I've known this guy for alot of years (however not real close), I"m good friends with his brother actually, infact they built my house for me 8 years ago. Just out of curiosity, I would like to know where some of the other guys got their information on how the wench deal works for the dealers. If I'm going to consider confronting my dealer I would like to know exactly where this infromation came from. Thanks in advance for the info.

Old 01-03-2005, 01:50 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: rosmith
Nats, I purchased an 05' 500 Arctic Cat Dec. 23rd. When I asked about the $69 Wench my dealer told me he didn't participate in the nationally advertissed deals. He said that in order to honor such a deal he would have to ask closer to the MSRP for the quads. In which case he couldn't sell them in our area for that amount. That last part I'm quite certain he was correct on because we also have a Honda dealer that sells at vey good prices. Anyway, he hold me that the Dealers were paying the difference betweent he $69 wench and the dealers cost. He said if I wanted the wench he would sell it to me at his cost. I didn't get the exact price but he told me it was around $200 for everything but installation. Maybe as a last resort you can try this option with your dealer.

Maybe I got screwed to. I didn't have any reason to think they were lying to me. I've known this guy for alot of years (however not real close), I"m good friends with his brother actually, infact they built my house for me 8 years ago. Just out of curiosity, I would like to know where some of the other guys got their information on how the wench deal works for the dealers. If I'm going to consider confronting my dealer I would like to know exactly where this infromation came from. Thanks in advance for the info.

Your dealer is a liar. The dealer is reimbursed by AC for thewinch, it cost him nothing except install if he provides it. What he does is tells AC you got the winch then it cost him $69 and when he sells it he make a major profit. His cost was $69 and the rest covered the install. When will people wise up that these dealers will tell you anything to make a bigger profit. That includes cheap and lie. My dealer actually sold me mine at cost, I saw the invoice and I still got the $69 winch. However he will not install it unless you pay for the install. Did it myself.

Old 01-03-2005, 06:43 PM
Trailblazer

[quote]

You have the correct info according to Arctic Cat who called me last Friday afternoon. The story is the dealers are independent and can choose to participate if they wish. The dealers would in fact pay the difference or pass it on by selling closer to MSRP. The lady from Cat was really helpful and made me feel better about my buy. The dealer called me Friday too! He is sorry about my confusion and is willing to sell and install a WARN 2.5 for $400 flat. I am thinking the lady from Cat placed a second call to keep me happy![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I am not sure of what other dealers have done for some of you...I think bear did really well but I am going to put out $400 to have the winch installed.

Old 01-03-2005, 08:11 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

[quote]
Originally posted by: Nats

You have the correct info according to Arctic Cat who called me last Friday afternoon. The story is the dealers are independent and can choose to participate if they wish. The dealers would in fact pay the difference or pass it on by selling closer to MSRP. The lady from Cat was really helpful and made me feel better about my buy. The dealer called me Friday too! He is sorry about my confusion and is willing to sell and install a WARN 2.5 for $400 flat. I am thinking the lady from Cat placed a second call to keep me happy![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I am not sure of what other dealers have done for some of you...I think bear did really well but I am going to put out $400 to have the winch installed.
In Washington state, if the deal is nationally advertized, the dealer has to inform you that he doesn't participate in the deal and it better be in writing. So either a sign or a written letter is necessary. Any dealer worth a damn is gonna participate because it is part of the draw to get the customer thru the door. By not participating it is very close to the old "bait and switch" scam and that is illegal.

Old 01-05-2005, 02:32 PM
Range Rover

Question to all? Since this winch thing is a "national program" and doesn't cost the dealer, could not John (Nats) go to another dealer (presumably more willing to get business) and work a deal with him. The dealer should be able to verify this with AC via the VIN and sales slip and get him the winch. Yes/No?

Andy - When you paid $5500 for your new machine I hope you went back to the previous dealer and told him (w/out throwing it in his face) that you went with another dealer and cut the deal he would not. Doing that helps keep dealers honest and must be done with the owner, and in front of the salesman that wouldn't deal with you. Sometimes they forget that every person that walks through the door is a potential buyer, regardless of age or looks.

Jim