Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Winch Killing Motor

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2004, 01:28 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winch Killing Motor

weez, If the short is that bad it will burn the insulation off a small gauge wire. The big wires will handle the current. Pull first one wire off the winch then try the control switch, if no problem reconnect that wire and disconnect the other. If neither causes a problem then it might be the winch motor. Jumpering a battery to the winch motor and see if the winch runs ok or smokes or slows down.

Old 12-22-2004, 04:21 AM
Pro Rider

Weez440,

I had a similar problem to that which you described except my winch relay or celinoid (what evern its called) would click and the which would not turn and if you kept trying to do it the engine would stall and quit. I have the Arctic Cat warn 2500 winch.

I discovered that I had a couple of connections (actually all of them) on the relay or celinoid were very corroded. I cleaned them and put some dielectric grease on them and it has not happened since. I also found my engine idle was too low and my bike was running rich. I do not think either of these had as much to do with my problem as the bad/corroded connections.

That darn relay is located in the rear fenderwell on my 400i and it is a bad place for it as it gets a lot of mud, saltwater and such thrown right onto it.

Since you out in the snow you might have gotten some snow stuck in just the right place to effect it. It is worth a look anyway.

Hope this helps.
SJ

Old 12-22-2004, 06:35 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

All electrical connections on your ride , if not in a plug or connector, should be covered with liquid neopreme. It's cheap, easy to apply and keeps your connectiond free from water, dirt and corrosion.

Old 12-22-2004, 08:24 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Bear, thanks for that last suggestion. I didn't even think of that on mine. Next time I get the ATV out, I'll put some of that stuff on the connections. I seem to forget that even though we're in the high desert, we DO get into some 'spray' once in a while, and sometimes even some snow. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-23-2004, 01:29 AM
Pro Rider

thank you for your comments guys they are very much appreciated. if it ever gets above 0 here anytime soon i will drive it in the garage and try it out i am thinking it might be the solenoid but bear could be right with it possibly being the winch itself but whenever i get to it and find out the problem i will post it as to what it was [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] thank you everyone