Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

'99 AC radiator (user error big one)

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 07:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '99 AC radiator (user error big one)

Well this is my first time posting here.

I have a 99 AC 500 4x4 Manual. All I can still say to this day is WOW! She is a beast. I have had no major issues with my Cat. Well this one but it was my own fault. I am tring to find out where I can find a radiator (Aftermarket or OEM). I have been searching all over and I really do not want to go to a dealership unless I absolutely have to. I was riding down a path that I did not know with some friends got throttle happy and popped a tree. My winch was pushed back against my radiator and popped a hole about the size of a quater. I was thinking about patching it, but then thought I want to fix her up not patch her up. Any help would be great.

My AC has been a aggressive trail making, work doing, mud killing monster. I have never had any major problems from her other than wearable parts. I perform all work myself with the aid of a few friends that are mechnics and a trusty very detailed service manual. I keep her clean and mean. The group I ride with gave me some grief when I first brought her home because they are die hard yamaha and honda riders. But that all stopped once they saw how capable she was in any terrain. They were marveled by how smooth the suspension travel was and how even though there was no lockin diff. the suspension allowed the tires to get traction (most of the time). But anyway hope to post again soon and thanks in advance for any help that anyone can offer a loyal AC fan.

Old 01-06-2005, 07:49 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Take it to a radiator shop and see if he can fix it for you. He might even be able to recore it and you will then have a new radiator.

Old 01-06-2005, 07:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks I never even thought about that. This just happened to me over the weekend. I have not talked to my friends about it yet because I am sure my they will give me greef about popping a tree. I have already gotten the bike torn down to a rollin chassis (damage assessment). And the new front fender is on the way but just couldn't find a radiator. Any Idea about the price to recore it? this was my first big mistake since I have had the bike and believe me I hope it never happens again.

Old 01-06-2005, 08:22 PM
Trailblazer

you can try this its not cheap 191.
http://www.alpha-sports.com/arctic_cat_atv_parts.htm

Old 01-06-2005, 11:31 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: sysdrake
Thanks I never even thought about that. This just happened to me over the weekend. I have not talked to my friends about it yet because I am sure my they will give me greef about popping a tree. I have already gotten the bike torn down to a rollin chassis (damage assessment). And the new front fender is on the way but just couldn't find a radiator. Any Idea about the price to recore it? this was my first big mistake since I have had the bike and believe me I hope it never happens again.

I have found that when you pull a real bonehead stunt (we all do sometimes, the 2 types that don't either sit on the porch or are liars)that it is best to tell the story on yourself. It seems that if you laugh at yourself then no one cares about the error anymore. You hide it and they find out about it, and they will, you never hear the end of it. So tell the story and laugh with everyone and it's over.