Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Belt Drives ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2000, 09:27 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Winston:
It's funny you mention that. I would love to go riding with you as well as a bunch of the guys on here. I'm currently working on a plan to do just that. See, after a couple years off, I'm back in school again, and scheduled to graduate for good from WSU in December. I was thinking that a good "gift" to myself would be to take a trip across the states to the highlights of the riding areas. Places such as Moab, Paiute trails in the Utah area, area's in Colorado, on back towards Minnesota, etc. I think it would be an awesome trip, one of a lifetime. I'm currently trying to estimate how much fuel it would take, as that would be the biggest expense in trailering my 'Cat across the country. If it happens at all, if I'm able to do it, it won't be till the spring, early summer months. I want the snow to be melted out of most areas to get a more pleasureable ride, but early enough to keep the bugs, and heat down, like Trailboss mentioned. I'm really hoping I can get it all put together, and actually make it happen, that would be something I would never forget. I've already talked to several people on here about it, and by the sounds of things, there is some interest in the idea. It doesn't sound like I'll have any trouble finding somebody to ride with, and that is great, I was kind of hoping that as I travel through the various states, that those on the forums in the area's would be willing to ride. I'll just have to wait and see if I can come up with a fairly close guestimate, see what my funding looks like, and go from there.

As for the elk meat, well, I'm counting the days!!! Season starts Oct. 28 and runs till Nov. 5th. I'm a little worried though, as deer season opens Oct. 14, and runs till the 27th. As a result, with elk opening the vary next day, the animals will be spooked already due to the number of hunters in the area. Could lead to more work than before and thus harder to find the spikes. I wasn't able to draw a cow tag this year, neither was my partner, so we're stuck with the spike only rule. They are really fairly difficult to locate. Last year, I only found one, but was at a dead run through the thicker cover, and couldn't get a clean shot. I'm not one to throw shells around. I like to know exactly where I'll place it, then take the shot. I'm also kind of picky too, I will only take "kill" shots, nothing else matters. If I can't get a good kill shot, then I won't bother. I would rather let it go then to have to track something that could possibly run for miles before anybody ever found it. Elk are very tough animals, and will do just that. One year my partner went out with a bunch of guys. I think the youngest one was probably around 40 years old or so, but anyway, one of them shot a cow elk. It was a gut shot, and didn't kill it. They tracked the thing for all of one day, and part of the next. They couldn't find it, only blood. Just as they were about to give up the search, my partner saw something that didn't look right, up above them. There were two trees, only a little over a foot apart. Well, the wounded elk had actually wedged herself in between the two trees, and somehow managed to climb up the tree. When they actually found her, according to my partner, she was about 15' above their heads. At that point, she was dead, so they ended up wrapping a rope around her, and dragging her out of the tree with a jeep. It's stories just like these, ones you would never believe in a lifetime unless you'd actually seen it for yourself, that I won't take a shot unless I know for sure it will go down. Call me crazy, soft or whatever you will, but I just won't do it.

I have seen a lot of sign up in the area though, and tons of cows, so I'm sure I'll find a spike milling around with them somewhere. Just a matter of being in the right place at the right time I guess. I'm hoping to break in my 'Cat with a fresh kill this year, we'll see if it happens. If it does, and I can put the trip together, I'll definately bring you some elk meat!

Enough of my soap box for now, time to go lift weights! Take care,

Mike

Old 09-24-2000, 12:27 AM
Weekend Warrior

The Cat uses a watertight billet aluminum belt housing with an inner and outer support bearing to keep the pulleys alligned while under load. The Polaris uses a plastic cover that will distort due to heat. It uses the main bearing on the crankshaft as the only support. Idling in gear is the brand P's worst enemy. The clutch will eventually self destruct due to the vibration.

Old 09-25-2000, 01:21 AM
Range Rover

have a 98 Sportsman with 2100 miles Lots of plowing and pulling logs No belt problems yet should be good for another 2000 miles.

Old 09-25-2000, 01:10 PM
Pro Rider

Snosnake:
Where abouts do you ride down there? I used to go down into the Tucannon area, then up towards Godman, and skyline area's, go off out in the back country up there. Had a forest service guy tell me I couldn't do that anymore. Do you ride the Blues much, or go elsewhere? Now I mostly head north to ride, no troubles up that way.

Thanks,

Mike

Old 09-25-2000, 10:17 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Testing my signature. Sorry

Old 09-25-2000, 10:26 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

once again

Old 09-25-2000, 10:46 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Someday I will learn how to make this an active link hopefully.

Old 09-26-2000, 12:36 AM
Range Rover

I ride mostly on private property in the area adjacent to the Nat'l. forest Once in a while in the forest in the Chase Mtn area and N. Touchet area Have a riding friend who lives in Pullman and has a cabin about 3 miles up the road from where i live. He has 2 Kodiaks Name is Larry Morgan e mail...lmorgan@pullman.com I am retired and do some riding almost every day. Never have to trailer, just ride from my house which is on the Wolf Fork about 12 miles SE of Dayton.

Old 09-26-2000, 02:37 AM
Pro Rider