Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Suspension Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 11:08 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension Adjustment

I just realized that the suspension on my '04 250 4X4 is not adjustable, as it is on some other models. Does anyone know if it's possible to replace the spring retainer/adjustment sleeve to make it so? It would require the shocks to be the same diameter I guess.
Thanks in advance for any help that you can provide.

Charlie

Old 01-11-2005, 01:54 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!

Welcome to the board!!!!

I had no idea the 250 wasn't adjustable [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

A member named Bear also has a 250, and he should be along shortly to awnser your question

Old 01-11-2005, 02:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks, Catterman.
I, too thought that it was adjustable. The spring retainers kind of look like the adjustable type, but they have no "steps" to provide any more or less spring tension as they are turned. It's funny becaue my manual shows them to be adjustable, and doesn't say that it is model specific.

Charlie

Old 01-11-2005, 04:52 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Nope, the 250 is not adjustable. So far I have had no reason to want to change the setting anyway. My '05 400 has adjustables and so far haven't changed anything there either. Let me do some research on swapping out the spring retainers for adjustable ones and get back to you. I thought about it right after I got the 250, but never saw a need to do it.

Old 01-11-2005, 05:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you, Bear. I appreciate any info that you can give me.

Charlie

Old 01-11-2005, 05:40 PM
Pro Rider

My Dad just bought a 03 AC 250 after Christmas and I believe it doesn't have adjustable springs either.

Funny thing is Even on my 400i once I got the new tires on and set the springs I haven't had a need to adjust them. Same thing with my 500TRV. Once I found an adjustment I like I haven't changed it.

I think the bigger machines are adjustable but I don't know too many people who adjust them very often. So Non-adjustable should be a non-problem for you.

SJ

Old 01-11-2005, 06:07 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I'm not sure you will thank me. First off the shocks and springs for the adjustable system are larger in diameter and better than 2" longer than the 250s so a spring and shock swap are out and you can't just get the adjusters and install them on your shocks. So the simple way is no can do. It can be done, but it involves having some steel sleeves made for the lower end of the shocks and installing the adjusters over those. Probably have at least $100 in the sleeves if not more, the adjusters are $5 each. If there was enough interest in doing this to about 25 or more 250 and 300s the cost of the sleeves would be cut in half or even to a quarter of the original guesmate. I know a guy with a machine shop who could do it. But one offs are very expensive, where the more you make the cheaper it gets.

Trending Topics

Old 01-11-2005, 06:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

Bear,
You didn't have what I wanted to hear, but it sounds like you went to a lot of trouble, so I'll still thank you.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
I work as a metal fabricator, so I could make the sleeves, but I'm not too interested in tearing it apart, at least while it's still under warranty. It rides real well on the factory setup. The only reason that I would want any adjustability is that the front end dips a little low when I put the plow on. No BFD, I just thought stiffening it up would help hold it a little more level under the weight of the plow.
Thanks again for all of your help.
Charlie

PS- I love the "Old age and treachery" signature that you have. How true!

Old 01-11-2005, 08:03 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: MarylandHunter
Bear,
You didn't have what I wanted to hear, but it sounds like you went to a lot of trouble, so I'll still thank you.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
I work as a metal fabricator, so I could make the sleeves, but I'm not too interested in tearing it apart, at least while it's still under warranty. It rides real well on the factory setup. The only reason that I would want any adjustability is that the front end dips a little low when I put the plow on. No BFD, I just thought stiffening it up would help hold it a little more level under the weight of the plow.
Thanks again for all of your help.
Charlie

PS- I love the "Old age and treachery" signature that you have. How true!
Thank you to you too, For your comments and for filling an hour of a day that's to cold out side to play out there. You could alway just make some spacers and put them on when plow time comes and remove them in the spring.