Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Spark plug question

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 06:09 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark plug question

Bear or anyone else who cares!!!

Alrighty just changed my spark plug and still not turning over. Now I haven't drained the carb of the old gas. I talked to some guys here and they said "ah gas doesn't go bad...", well after a year isn't it pretty much water? dunno!! So shall we go back to square one of draining the carb? New battery, new spark, old gas, HELP. Trying to do this myself and I am a pretty handy woman if I do say so myself!!! I want to get this thing fired up so we can start riding before the heat starts down here. Thank you all for your replies and help.

Marla

Old 02-01-2005, 06:30 PM
Elite Pro Rider

does the quad have a new battery or a fully charged battery?

Old 02-01-2005, 06:50 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!

Originally posted by: thomar
Bear or anyone else who cares!!!

Alrighty just changed my spark plug and still not turning over. Now I haven't drained the carb of the old gas. I talked to some guys here and they said "ah gas doesn't go bad...", well after a year isn't it pretty much water? dunno!! So shall we go back to square one of draining the carb? New battery, new spark, old gas, HELP. Trying to do this myself and I am a pretty handy woman if I do say so myself!!! I want to get this thing fired up so we can start riding before the heat starts down here. Thank you all for your replies and help.

Marla
Hey Marla, does the ATV turn over and just not fire or doesn't it turn over at all??? Maybe try hooking some jumper cables to it! Here is what I would do, don't know if it is right or not but it always worked for my snowmobiles. Put new gas in gas tank (now always remember to use fuel stablizers next time!) then take out the spark plug, put a table spoon of fuel down the hole, put spark plug back on, and it should fire right up. It might start, then die a few seconds later, but after 3-4 times of doing this our old snowmobiles always stayed running then. God bless and Good luck!!!!

Old 02-01-2005, 06:56 PM
Elite Pro Rider

if it has a pulll start try that, and if it doesnt even turn over, maybe try to pop start it with like a car or another quad?

Old 02-01-2005, 07:01 PM
Elite Pro Rider

but that is if it is the starter or the battery low. but i dont know if it is seized up or anything. is it even turning over when u pull, hit the starter button?

Old 02-01-2005, 07:04 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks Gabe & Garrett-

OK to answer your question new battery and I bought a tender so that's on it now plugged in all the time. So it's new and fully charged, better be. Gabe I will try the new gas thing, someone said they always run premium through their toys that way if it sits for a while the gas doesn't break down to nothing! I will try that though. Would you recommend draining the tank now? There is little less than a half tank. It just won't turn over fully.

Old 02-01-2005, 07:07 PM
Elite Pro Rider

if it wont turn over fully and it is only trying and it is real slow then it is usually a low battery. if the quad has been sitting for a while then i would drain the tank and out in fresh gas. also, check the oil level.

Old 02-01-2005, 07:53 PM
Elite Pro Rider

to drain the tank, you could either follow the fuel line to the carb and the turn off the gas, take it off at the carb and drain it or you could either take the line out right at the fuel shut off, but if u do that, the gas will come straight down, so it is sort of easier to drain it at the end of the fuel line so that you can kinda get it into an oil pan eaiser. either way will work

Old 02-01-2005, 07:54 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: garrett5462
if it wont turn over fully and it is only trying and it is real slow then it is usually a low battery. if the quad has been sitting for a while then i would drain the tank and out in fresh gas. also, check the oil level.
I thought putting the tender on the battery which is new is to eliviate any problems. I can't pull start it, compression way to high and I am not that strong. Where would I find the gas tube to drain the old? And do you put premium in or just regular with an octane booster as someone has suggested? Thank you all for your help, we'll get there!!!

Old 02-01-2005, 07:58 PM
Elite Pro Rider

well, it will run no matter what gas, but it would be better the put in suoer or premium. as i said, the fuel line is a black line that goes from the gas shut off to the carb, near the bottom of the carb. also, there should be a little lever near the top of the cynlinder, and if you press that down, it will make there be less compression and it is easier to pull. the lever is sort of hard to push down, so dont think yur breaking anything. the lever should be near where the spark plug is. good luck:-)

Quick Reply: Spark plug question