Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Spark plug question

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 12:17 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark plug question

Thanks to all of you. Sounds like I have my work cut out for me!! I will get out there today and dink around with it and see if I can at least get the gas drained. I have a friend here who has the same ride, just a couple years newer so maybe he can help me with the carb and that. I will keep you posted on how it goes.
Marla

By the way Bear, when growing up in Bend we had friends that lived in Cresent and we would go to their place and go hunting, walk right off their front porch, and back then you always got what you were looking for!!! Great country there. I hope you enjoy it.

Old 02-02-2005, 01:49 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: thomar
Thanks to all of you. Sounds like I have my work cut out for me!! I will get out there today and dink around with it and see if I can at least get the gas drained. I have a friend here who has the same ride, just a couple years newer so maybe he can help me with the carb and that. I will keep you posted on how it goes.
Marla

By the way Bear, when growing up in Bend we had friends that lived in Cresent and we would go to their place and go hunting, walk right off their front porch, and back then you always got what you were looking for!!! Great country there. I hope you enjoy it.
Thomar; We have friends down there and already enjoy it everytime we visit. Yes the same deal with hunting, the National forest fronts his property on the westside and we have seen elk, deer, bear and even mountain lions from his deck while in the hot tub. It's too cool to believe in this day and age that you can still find that kind of thing.

Back to the motor, does is crank slow? Have you tried it with the spark plug out, is it alot faster? Could be a bad connection or solenoid or starter as if I remember right you replaced the battery. Make sure all the big connections are tight by loosening them and then tightening then down again. Use jumper cables to jumper around the solenoid and also to the starter. I have seen bad wire cause this without looking bad on the out side. Wires were corroded on the inside and until we cut them open you couldn' see it, this would be a last resort thing.

Old 02-02-2005, 03:02 PM
Trailblazer

OK boys here's my play by play. I am so excited I FINALLY found my gas line got the gas tank drained. HOLY MOLY did I have some gas[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] About 2 1/2 gallons +, so now I am going to go get some new gas, super? premium? just to get it through, if that doesn't do it, then it's carb time, but I will have to wait for help with that. Aren't they tricky in the sense there are a lot of springs and such? Just wanted to thank all of you for your help.

Marla

Old 02-02-2005, 06:35 PM
Trailblazer

OK- new gas is in. I can now get it turned over and it spits and sputters a bit, but will go. BUT when I push on the throttle it dies on me. Is that because it's been so long? Also where my gas line enters the carb, there is a black plunger that pulls in and out, my choke like all the others is up on the left hand , so what is that some other gas flow regulator? Not sure, if you know let me know. So I am still at it, but making head way. Can't thank you enough for all your help and it's so beautiful out here right now, great riding weather[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-02-2005, 09:42 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Thomar; You have a PM and a regular e-mail.

Old 02-02-2005, 09:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

That black plunger is the primer for the carb.

For mine I only have had to use it is when its below 30 degees cold starting it., 2 - 3 pulls to get a little gas into the intake and full choke and it fires right up. when it is still warming up mine will spit and sputter (backfires) but once it warmed up its fine.

Old 02-04-2005, 04:14 PM
Elite Pro Rider

if u just take off the carb to clean it there shouldnt be many springs...

Old 02-04-2005, 04:26 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: garrett5462
if u just take off the carb to clean it there shouldnt be many springs...
Thanks Garrett

Bear actually sent me the specs and all that to tear the thing apart and clean it and put it back. SOOOOOOOOOOOO hopefully that will do it. We plan on doing that tomorrow, Saturday so I will keep you all posted.

Marla