Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Spark plug question

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 09:57 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark plug question

The 01 400 4x2 does not have a decompression lever. First try the simple things, When you turn the key on is the "N" light on? and is the fan running? (the fan allways is running with the key on). If the engine still isn't turning over try taking the plug back out and them pull the rope to see if the engine will turn. If not the rings rusted to the walls (not likely). But give that a try. Good luck.

Old 02-01-2005, 10:11 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: garrett5462
well, it will run no matter what gas, but it would be better the put in suoer or premium. as i said, the fuel line is a black line that goes from the gas shut off to the carb, near the bottom of the carb. also, there should be a little lever near the top of the cynlinder, and if you press that down, it will make there be less compression and it is easier to pull. the lever is sort of hard to push down, so dont think yur breaking anything. the lever should be near where the spark plug is. good luck:-)

Thomar; Gas does go bad, it won't even smell like gas and the motor will no run. A year is to long for gas to sit without a fuel stablizer in it. Get rid of it. On the inside of the fuel shiut off valve you will find several black fuel lines. One goes to the carb. Pull it off the carb and route it to a container. Turn the valve to reserve and let the fuel drain until it won't any more. Reinstall the hose and put new gas in the tank. I would suggest premium this one time. Normally you should only run regular as the premium will make your engine run hotter. You still need to get the carb bowl drained. It you can't get the screw loose, the the carb needs to come off and the float bowl needs to come off. Clean the bowl out. Probably a good idea at this point. Also I don't believe the 400 has a compression release.

Old 02-01-2005, 10:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

I forgot about the handle bar switch. make sure it is on "run". I've for to turn that on a time or two [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] Like bear said take the fuel line off from the carb put into a container and drain the old gas out and put new gas in.

Old 02-01-2005, 10:54 PM
Elite Pro Rider

yes, as bear said, clean the float bowl and then try. i doubt that it is seized up, but do as mudcat said and try to pull it over with the plug out, or with the compression release on. the fuel line is a black line that goes to the bottom of the carb. take it off and drain the gas. u will have tot ake of a clip before the line will come off and it will probably be on the carb pretty good, if it has never been taken off before.

Old 02-01-2005, 10:55 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: MNmudcat
I forgot about the handle bar switch. make sure it is on "run". I've for to turn that on a time or two [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] Like bear said take the fuel line off from the carb put into a container and drain the old gas out and put new gas in.

MNmudcat is oh so right. That's why I never use that switch and disconnect them whenever I get the chance.

Old 02-01-2005, 10:57 PM
Elite Pro Rider

yes bear, the gas will go old, but what i meant was that she did not have to use premium because it will run with anything. she said should she get a high octain boost or premium fuel, and i was saying that she did not have to. and sorry about the compression release, didnt know that they didnt have one.

Old 02-01-2005, 10:59 PM
Elite Pro Rider

mudcat and bear, i dont think that the engine cut switch is the problem because i think earlier she said that it was turning over, but really slow. but, im not quite sure. if it is turning over slow, it has to be a battery.

Old 02-01-2005, 11:04 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: garrett5462
yes, as bear said, clean the float bowl and then try. i doubt that it is seized up, but do as mudcat said and try to pull it over with the plug out, or with the compression release on. the fuel line is a black line that goes to the bottom of the carb. take it off and drain the gas. u will have tot ake of a clip before the line will come off and it will probably be on the carb pretty good, if it has never been taken off before.
After the clamp is off, take a pair of pliers and rotate the hose in the nipple on the carb. After you rotate it is will come off easier and not tear up the hose as much.

Old 02-02-2005, 12:22 AM
Range Rover

If the fuel was sitting there for a year, I'd for sure drain the tank (like everyone else has said), as well as the entire fuel system, ie. all lines, reserve and main and carb. I would pull the carb apart and check the jets for gum and varnish deposits as you will probably have some build up on the internals. If the motor is turning over slow, there might not be enough juice to create a powerfull enough spark. I'd would 'flush and fill' the fuel system and hook up a known to be good 12v power source and go from there.

There is no decompression release? What were they thinking?

Old 02-02-2005, 12:45 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: lownrangr

There is no decompression release? What were they thinking?
They were thinking "only a fool would try to hand start a 400cc 1 lunger" would be my guess. Hell kick starting one isn't for 90 lbs weaklings.

Quick Reply: Spark plug question