Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Help!.....my 500 won't start.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2005, 09:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!.....my 500 won't start.....

How's it going everyone?
I have a 2001 Arctic Cat 500 ATV. I haven't been able to ride in a few months so my machine hasn't been used in a while. I was jumping it with my lawn mower but using cables made for a car. The one cable slipped off the battery on the mower end and shorted out on the frame. Since then the quad has no power what so ever. So far I've checked all the fuses even the master next to the starter solenoid. All are intact but nothing happens when I put the key to the ON position, no lights, guages, or the cooling fan. What else can I check? Has anyone done this before.....belive me I'm emberrassed to share this story.......Thanks to all who respond and hope to talk soon.

Old 02-14-2005, 12:11 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!.....my 500 won't start.....

charge your battery and hook it up......be sure that nothing is shorted out when you do this or you will see some serious smoke. Hook up the + and then just hold the - on the post. There should be very little if any visible arc. If sparks fly you have serious problems.

If that checks out ok then get a volt meter on the fuse block and start reading volts to determine where your problem starts......pull the fuse and see if there is power coming to it.....oh, and did you ohm the fuses or just look at them....sometimes looks can be deceiving.....

let me know if you get er running....

hopefully it's nothing major......but a dead short to the frame is never good