Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Snowmobileing with TRV

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2005, 10:23 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snowmobileing with TRV

We had close to foot of snow the other day. Was out riding my TRV , had a blast. ITP 589 tires worked awesome. Plenty of power climbing , problem is I seem to run low on power on top end seems to kinda level off and bog a little when crossing long stretches in fields. Motor, trans all stock, 26" tires and alum wheels only mods. Im not really lacking power on low end ( yes more would always be better) I read a clutch kit from Dalton would maybe help but ( i dont want to lose my top end i have) . What about K+N and a Jet Kit? anybody do any of these mods? Want to try and go everwhere a snowmobile goes without buying a set of Tracks (kinda expensive) but plenty awesome though.

Old 03-03-2005, 10:48 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 2ridercat
.... Want to try and go everwhere a snowmobile goes without buying a set of Tracks (kinda expensive) but plenty awesome though.

They definetly are not snowmobiles...lol. Around here if you get caught on the snowmobile trails your looking for trouble.
I would suggest a winch on each end and a good amount of heavy rope. Hard snow and ice is fun, but deep snow will only get you a sore back.

But good luck with it!

Old 03-03-2005, 11:02 PM
Trailblazer

im not looking to ride the snow mobile trails, just be able to get around in the snow

Old 03-04-2005, 06:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi On hard pack snow you will not have a problem but when the snow gets deep you will be stuck on your skid frame.Tracks and deep snow are the way to go but the price is what you will have to deal with. plus in WI they are not under 48 in. witch tkes them out of the atv reg. class. Try low range when the machine is working hard you will lose top end but get a lot low power. I tried a KN filter and took it back lost power and gas mileage it was a 2001 500cc AC.

Old 03-04-2005, 10:46 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

for the $ of thos tracks just buy a snowmobile

Old 03-05-2005, 07:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have tracks on my trv. has a track width of 54" you lose power in deep snow and i can still get it stuck glad i have winch on both ends. gets real heavy when ice and snow builds up under and on tracks. use mine mostly for ice fishing.

Old 03-06-2005, 08:11 PM
Pro Rider

what tracks? - not those $6,000 snow-cat like treads? OMG - you have way - too much money!
But then, we havn't had enough snow here in 5 years to use the snowmobiles more than one or two weekends.
I had the sled paid for before it had 100 miles on it. (3 years)
Maybe I'm the one who is spoiled. lol
We ice fish all the time. I use the lighter honda for early and late ice on the local lakes and the TRV when there is 8+ inches before
the Explorer can go out on it (16inch personal minimum for that)
over 60 degrees today - the lake - turned into a lake! We rode the TRV around a couple lakes talking to
fishermen and watching the water rush into the fishing holes left behind and still open.
I cleaned 48 fish this weekend - so today I just watched!

Old 03-07-2005, 07:17 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have Traxion by AD Boivin 3000.00 . yes a lot of money for extras for the toy. I have pulled a pickup out of the ditch with it. next thing is the high lifter springs.

Old 03-07-2005, 12:23 PM
Pro Rider

got any pics of those treads? email whodatwiddapitts@yahoo.com
Who knows - maybe I can talk the wife into a combining the next 30 years Christmas and birthday gifts into some tracks!

THanks!

Old 03-07-2005, 05:28 PM
Range Rover

we had plenty of snow on the ground this past weekend in northern michigan. Almost too much in fact for a Honda Foreman. Unfortunately I didn't have my Cat, so we were stuck with the Honda that was at the cabin. That thing gets stuck in snow real easy and is a PITA to dig out. We for sure could have used a sled this weekend! Oh yeah, the Foreman can't go over a 4' pile of snow either! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] If my AC was there I would have been able to bail out the Honda with my winch many times! Bummer. I knew I would regret not bringing it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]