Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

Officials recommend snowmobile ban for Yellowstone by 2003

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2000, 12:20 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

By Traci Watson
USA TODAY

Federal officials recommended on Tuesday banning the 70,000 snowmobiles that rumble through Yellowstone National Park every winter. The move delighted environmentalists but dismayed enthusiasts of the sport and local communities that depend on snowmobilers for winter income.

Observers say the National Park Service is likely to follow the recommendation when it makes a decision in November. Without snow-mobiles, winter tourists could see the park on snowshoes or cross-country skis. Or they could ride in snow coaches, van-like vehicles that carry 10 or more people.

The ban wouldn't take effect until the winter of 2003-04, to give time for snowmobile-rental companies to switch over to snow coaches. The larger vehicles would have to meet emission and noise standards yet to be specified.

Park service officials say snowmobiles spread noise and air pollution, startle animals and create a safety hazard. ''By having fewer vehicles in the park and . . . more trained drivers, you'll have fewer problems,'' Yellowstone spokeswoman Marsha Karle said.

Exhaust from snowmobiles was so thick at a Yellowstone entrance station several years ago that park employees were suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning. In Yellowstone's 1998-99 season, snowmobiles brought in 63,000 tourists.

Environmentalists said the recommendation was long overdue.

''People wanting continued snowmobiling are saying this (plan) is extreme,'' said Jon Catton of the Greater Yellowstone Coalition. ''To our view, what's extreme is a park with dirty air, stressed wildlife and disappointed visitors.''

The park's neighbors, who rely on snowmobilers for winter income, fear for the future of their businesses and communities. In West Yellowstone, Mont., for example, 28-30% of resort tax revenue is collected in the winter.

Before snowmobiling, ''We had many families who just summered here and left'' in the winter, said Marysue Costello of the West Yellowstone Chamber of Commerce. With a ban, ''What happens to the fiber of our community?''

A snow-coach tour could never replace the freedom of riding a snowmobile, said Christine Jourdain of the American Council of Snowmobile Associations. And snowmobiles could meet any noise and pollution standards, she said.

The Park Service and others say snowmobile makers have failed to develop quiet, clean vehicles. But riders and manufacturers say they're already on the market.

Old 10-12-2000, 12:27 AM
JRM
Pro Rider

The ban already passed last year. I was at a friends house on the boarder of yellowstone and noone was able to ride snowmobiles in the park last winter. Sad but true

Old 10-12-2000, 03:17 PM
Pro Rider

I saw the article on a the snowest snowmobile forum yesterday. I took a copy of the article to my snowmobile meeting last night. I made copies for everyone & was amazed that several off the people in the club didn't realize what was going on.

I couldn't believe it.................

:O

If all ORV users, motorcycles, 4x4's, jeeps, quads, snowmobile don't pull together we will lose the battle that is one thing you can count on.