Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

A/C 400 Oil Cooler Design Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 04:44 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C 400 Oil Cooler Design Problem

Wait a weekand reread your replies...it might be enlightening. The guy you replied to who said "But my wife found the infamous AC 400 oil cooler flaw on Sunday" was obviously joking by using the word "infamous". Anybody with a thread of common sense and responsibility knows that OF COURSE running into trees is going to break something, and is nobodies fault but their own. Oh ya, and I have this argument with my GF all the time. I wasnt CALLING you a dick, I was saying that you were being one. BIG difference. But thanks for the lesson in being a man.

Old 04-05-2006, 08:46 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: Bear4570
As to the clearence from the winch and the cooler, ever looked at any rig with a front radiator or cooler and the winch, there just isn't room to give you enough clearance to ram into trees. Just can't be done and still have a small enough machine for good trail riding.
I'm sorry to hear that. Guess that means my latest mod will foul this machine up for good trail riding.

I took the oil cooler in to a local radiator repair shop & he said they can fix it for an hours labor. They are going to set the mounting nipples forward an inch, which will position the oil cooler back from the winch about an inch, gaining a little bit of clearance between the cooler & the winch. I hope it doesn't make the machine unrideable. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-05-2006, 09:25 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: AirJunky
As to the clearence from the winch and the cooler, ever looked at any rig with a front radiator or cooler and the winch, there just isn't room to give you enough clearance to ram into trees. Just can't be done and still have a small enough machine for good trail riding.
I'm sorry to hear that. Guess that means my latest mod will foul this machine up for good trail riding.

I took the oil cooler in to a local radiator repair shop & he said they can fix it for an hours labor. They are going to set the mounting nipples forward an inch, which will position the oil cooler back from the winch about an inch, gaining a little bit of clearance between the cooler & the winch. I hope it doesn't make the machine unrideable. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

That mod should not effect the cooling at all. If you moved it clear back to right in front of the motor would probably not be good. Glad to hear the shop could fix you up. All an oil cooler is just a radiator for oil instead of water.

Old 04-06-2006, 07:49 PM
Range Rover

whooo! enough switchbacks and quotes in this thread, my little brain is spinning. but anyway, thanx to that first guy[whoever he was ] that mentioned the problem[ uuhhh,lets say situation ,so we dont offend anyone or attract any lawyers to this forum]. i had to run out to the shop and look at the tbx 400 and i have to agree that it does kind of does hang out [in an unprotected fashion], had the eiger sitting right next door so i looked that over too; in comparing the locations of the 2 coolers the suzukis does seem more protected[tucked up higher and to the rear, although in the right situation somthing could reach it so its not quite perfect either[ and for some reason is a whole lot smaller, which is interesting as both units use the same powerplant-400cc] . anyway ill be responsible and make up some little guards[non-patentable] to go around the affected area[just somthing to deflect a stray twig or corn stalk[i ride a lot of corn fields in deer season and have found them[stalks] stuck in some wierd places] and will probably be easier that r/r'g the cooler[post damage]. on the subject of user responsibility, ill confess im a conservative and believe if you break somthing ,own up and take the heat and just plain fix the dam thing ---[guarantee it'll be a lot easier than trying to get a manufacturer to pay or admit error,lawyers again], but on that score you could contact AC as a responsible owner, and say "hey mr AC , why dont you change this thing or the other, for whatever good reason....", HELL, they might listen and then you'd have the satisfaction of knowing you helped some other poor boob somewhere down the line......

Old 04-06-2006, 08:01 PM
Range Rover

[quote]
[quote]

. .. oops! misfire

Old 04-06-2006, 08:03 PM
Range Rover

excellent suggestion, AJ, noticed the same prob on my partners 04 400, a little breathing room would be a good thing and i will be doing that little mod on the tbx,thanx....

Old 05-28-2006, 06:40 AM
Pro Rider

Please tell me im not going to make a mistake on buying a AC 400 4x4 manual. The price is right and i kind of like it i heard there bullet proff guy told never really has to work on them unless operator error. Know im thinking BRP OUTLANDER but the price sucks. I really like the size of the AC will some one tell em this wuad will last me it has the same motor that in the suzuki eiger there proven bullet proof ?

Old 05-28-2006, 01:21 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: craw8101
Please tell me im not going to make a mistake on buying a AC 400 4x4 manual. The price is right and i kind of like it i heard there bullet proff guy told never really has to work on them unless operator error. Know im thinking BRP OUTLANDER but the price sucks. I really like the size of the AC will some one tell em this wuad will last me it has the same motor that in the suzuki eiger there proven bullet proof ?

Well, I have 1600 miles on my 2005 400 i manual and haven't had a single oil cooler problem yet. The bike has rolled once and end over ended once and plastic repairs and a bumper have been the only thing replace. Each problem was rider induced and otherwise no real problems. There is a reason the 400 is AC's best selling model, it works and works well. At least if you don't run around crashing into thing.

Old 05-29-2006, 04:13 PM
Range Rover

Craw - I have the 2006 400 4X4 LE (automatic) and I've had no problems except the rear fender is cracked on both sides...MY error...thought I could fit between trees and couldn't. The engine and gear shifting is getting better as I put more miles on as people have indicated it would on this site. I looked at the bombardier, but too much money and dealer was too far from me. I've also found the AC user forums very helpful since ATV'ing is new to me.

Old 05-29-2006, 09:43 PM
Pro Rider

Is the rear end striaght axle ? and is your all the time 4x4 ? I was wondering is it tippy can i break lose and fish tail with out being a pancake cause of the all the time 4x4 ? Also dealer told 55 was top speed is the correct he said his dad has put this model through hell and back. I also heard the rear shocks can be adjusted ? please let me know about the overall ride want to know if i can trust a turn on it dont want to go 10mph all the time. Oh does the all the time 4x4 use more gas ??