Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

dynatek or vdi cdi box????

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2005, 06:54 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dynatek or vdi cdi box????

was going to get the dynatek but have been reading about the vdi. it also sounds good but seems like the dyna offers more such as getting rid of limp mode and making the engine run cooler. i know the dyna is MORE money but is it worth it????

Old 04-03-2005, 07:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

Both of the CDI's do the same thing...No matter what they publicise.Big price difference though. I personally have the VDI module and I am very pleased with it's performance..If you read the info on it, it tells you exactly what you are getting..more on the bottem end and this is what you are truely after..also look at the snorkel kit and get somes jets as well for increased mid range and then the next step would be primary/secondary springs to take full advantage of the mods.

Old 04-03-2005, 09:18 PM
Trailblazer

yea, i just put the springs in yesterday, cdi i will order this week, snorkel i just orderd from vdi. how do you know what size carb jets to use.

Old 04-03-2005, 11:47 PM
Pro Rider

getting rid of limp mode is worth the extra money i heard good things about vdi and it probably produces the exact same horsepower gain as the dynatek does all at the bottom and some in mid range but i love not having limp mode problems anymore.

Old 04-04-2005, 08:20 AM
Weekend Warrior

If you look in the printable version of the snorkel kit installation guide from VDI, there is a jet size chart in there for Kehin and Dyna..Either module will get rid of the limp mode because of the basic programming within the unit..If you are still getting the limp mode before the CDI goes in..have the dealer fix this under warrenty first, and they will adjust your belt and possibly put a noise filter on it for you and then your belt will be perfectly set up to get its new springs and you wont have to mess with shims..

Old 04-04-2005, 10:22 PM
Trailblazer

hey weez and cheez, thanks for the info.

hey weez, the dynatek is supposed to make the CAT run cooler, what is your opinion???

Old 04-04-2005, 11:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

That statment is a load of dung..The module effects the curve on your timing which gets rid of the low end restriction programmed into the stock CDI from the factory as a safety feature..Computer programming which makes the motor less resticted..To increase your mid-range add the jets,shims and snorkel..

Old 04-04-2005, 11:46 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: CHEZZ650AC
That statment is a load of dung..The module effects the curve on your timing which gets rid of the low end restriction programmed into the stock CDI from the factory as a safety feature..Computer programming which makes the motor less resticted..To increase your mid-range add the jets,shims and snorkel..
yo, chezz, that stament about the dynatek is somthing i have been reading alot about. i am going to call vdi when i get home tomorrow and get more info. i want to get everthing orderd so i can put it on this weekend. rode mine today and i can start to tell i diff in the springs and can only imagine what the rest will do. thanks for the input.

Old 04-05-2005, 11:59 PM
Pro Rider

it does seem to make it run a lil cooler. the stock cdi actually retards the timing so you aren't getting the true horsepower what the dynatek doew is advances the timing thus making it run cooler and i wasn't aware that vdi's cdi took care of the limp mode as well. i dunno if vdi does this but dynatek also takes care of the override button when going in reverse which is very nice for me anyways.

Old 04-06-2005, 01:01 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: weez440
it does seem to make it run a lil cooler. the stock cdi actually retards the timing so you aren't getting the true horsepower what the dynatek doew is advances the timing thus making it run cooler and i wasn't aware that vdi's cdi took care of the limp mode as well. i dunno if vdi does this but dynatek also takes care of the override button when going in reverse which is very nice for me anyways.
With our CDI, you can turn on/off the limp mode as well as the reverse override. We offer dual maps (you can switch on the fly). One map can be stock, with the limp mode, and reverse override, the other can be a hot map, with no holds barred...... Just to be clear, our "limp mode" will only come on if the belt switch is truely tripped, and once the switch is reset, limp mode is gone. It's just plain retarded that the OEM unit crimples the machine until you take it in for service (or reset it with some bizzare ritual).

I was at my dealer today, and the new AC650's actually have a tag on the handlebar that informs you that power glitches from lights, winches or whatever can put the unit into limp mode, so they supply the reset key, FREE OF CHARGE! Don't fix the problem, just supply the bandaid. I was sadly disappointed when I saw that.

Quick Reply: dynatek or vdi cdi box????