Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Arctic Cat vs Honda

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 08:45 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Arctic Cat vs Honda

Specta: The 500 auto is a great piece of gear. Mine is used by everyone from my 70 year old father to my teenage nephews. It's built like a brick. I have had zero problems except for a very minor linkage adjustment, which I took care of myself.
Gas mileage depends on where and how you ride. Either way, don't expect too much.
The engine braking works great, better than some manuals. I was amazed how slow I eased down a steep slope the first time.

Old 04-04-2005, 08:49 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

another thing on auto's. (and granted I've had zero problems out of mine in 4 years time, but knock on wood) I've heard this bull crap "last resort to win an argument" line a lot of times that reads "rather replace a belt than a transmission/clutch/torque converter/etc." and its pretty much a lame statement.

Not very often does it happen that a belt drive auto will shred a belt on you, and almost never does it happen that you will be replacing the transmission or whatever on the non-belt quad, so thats such a far reach of a statement that it shouldn't have any merit.

Probably 98% of all serious atv problems are directly related to user abuse.

Old 04-04-2005, 11:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

I own both an 03 500I auto and a 03 400I auto. No problems what so ever. I have run them through a lot of water and have never had a belt slip. One thing is true though.... with an auto you have to know when to use low range. If you don't you'll probably start slipping/burning your belt. When I bear bait I'm running with weight, at slow speeds, and on narrow trails. The terrain is always very mixed and challenging and I almost always use low range during this, just in case.

From what I've seen and experienced, the AC auto/belt is very touph and I think anyone who has had numerous probs either has a lemon or is doing SOMETHING WRONG.

Old 04-05-2005, 12:44 AM
Pro Rider

I've had Polaris, Arctic Cat, and Hondas. They are all great machines. They have been to the top of the mountains and bottom of lakes - (doh!) stuck in swamps to the handle bars, bounced off of trees and rocks and have about 10,000 miles of trailer riding on their shocks. There are all still great machines going strong. They get used most every weekend plowing snow, moving trailers around the yard and ice fishing etc.

I'm not a fan of manual trannys as its hard to let a novice ride the quad without cringing a lot. On a multi quad ride someone is always holding up or pulling over because they are in the wrong gear.

As far as flat out performance - who cares - thats not what I ride a utility ATV for. For me it comes down to accessories, options, and features. I want to mount tools and gear and stuff. I could care less how fast it goes.

Abusive riding is the #1 failure generator.

Arctic Cat wins hands down for the accessories and options vote. That MRP rackage system is great! A quick look at my pics and you will see why I feel that way....lol

You'all have a great day eh!

Old 04-05-2005, 12:58 AM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Again, thanks for the input.

TTaylor, does your ATV have stainless steal brake lines? You make me laugh. LOL Cute comments.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-05-2005, 10:00 AM
Trailblazer

ttaylor, I understand what your trying to say, but what you said is not true. The Honda Rubicon does not have the automotive transmission. It uses the Hondamatic, which in my opinion, is the very best auto on the market today, and has very few problems. The Honda Rubicon has not been around since 1995. I think it was first introduced in 2001. And in addition to that, the 2005 models do have front disc brakes.

Back to comparing the Rubicon to the AC 500. As I stated above, I have both. Although my AC is a manual because I don't want the problems associated the belt drive trannys, and I'm running 27" Bi/Tri Claws, and I do alot of mud riding.

Both bikes are great, and if your going to be mostly trail riding, then I would go with the AC because you get more comfort & options for your money. If your going to be using the bike for farm & ranch type work, I would go with the Rubicon. I believe the Rubicon is more of a workhorse because it has a solid rear axle, and a more durable transmission.

Old 04-05-2005, 11:14 AM
Pro Rider

I probably should have posted "Why did you buy and AC", sure don't want to start any wars.

I am a die hard loyal Honda fan and it would be near impossible to get me to ever buy anything else. However, I do want my friends to buy what they want, not what I want.

I am not a belt hater, ACRider is 100% correct and I do think AC has by far the best belt drive on the market, sure makes a lot of sense to me.

I appreciate the input, even a hard head like me is learning a few things.

Old 04-05-2005, 03:58 PM
Pro Rider

TTaylor, does your ATV have stainless steal brake lines? You make me laugh. LOL Cute comments.
Why do you laugh and think its merely a "cute comment"? Apprently you don't understand the benefits of stailess steel braided brake lines. AC started placing them on their quads since 2002. Polaris has been doing it since 2001. Stainless steel braided brake lines along with disc brakes give unbelievable stopping power. A heck of a lot more then merely a rubber hose or cable and drum brakes. If I need to bring 800-1000 lb machine to a stop in a hurry I want to know that I have the power at my fingertips to do it. Does this provide increased value? sure it does so whats your problem? "only fools laugh at things they don't understand"

ttaylor, I understand what your trying to say, but what you said is not true. The Honda Rubicon does not have the automotive transmission. It uses the Hondamatic, which in my opinion, is the very best auto on the market today, and has very few problems. The Honda Rubicon has not been around since 1995. I think it was first introduced in 2001. And in addition to that, the 2005 models do have front disc brakes.
I am fully aware that the rubicon itself wasn't introduced until 2000/2001. However take a look at the frame, suspension, brakes, steering geometry, and other features and tell me that Honda isn't selling you the same thing they sold back in 1995 under a different name and a smaller motor. heck you could probably go clear back to 1987 when they released their first 350 4X4. Essentially Honda has remained stagnent while everyone else has improved and updated their machines. I am also fully aware that Honda finally put disc brakes on the front this year. What happened to the rear? I think Honda makes a decent machine but everyone else is offering so much more at a lower price. Why buy a Honda?

Old 04-05-2005, 06:15 PM
Pro Rider

[If I need to bring 800-1000 lb machine to a stop in a hurry I want to know that I have the power at my fingertips to do it. Does this provide increased value? sure it does so whats your problem? "only fools laugh at things they don't understand"]

I very well understand the advantages of stainless steal brake lines and just don't see the need on an ATV. I am not the fool who is trying to stop some over weight 800-1000 pound atv. Does your 300 really weigh 800-1000 pounds?? Disc brakes do stop better and I think on a sport bike they would be very important. On a utility that sees an average speed of 8-10 mph, average speeds taken from a pole here a year or so ago, they just aren't that important.

When the Rubicon was introduced in 2000 it was an entirly new ATV. New frame, new drivetrain, new suspension, and new style. The 05 does have your badly needed disc brakes.

ttaylor, I think it is pathetic when a ATV manufacture has to go to another ATV manufacture and buy their ATVs and put their own name on them. Can't they make their own stuff??

Part of my original question was "Why did you pick the 500 auto??". ttaylor, why did you pick to buy your AC 500 Auto?

I didn't come here to start a war. If I wanted to listen to people bash Honda, I would go to the Honda forum and read what other brand owners come over and post.

I do apperciate all the constructive comments and have passed the info to my friend. I will let you know what he gets, should be in the next couple of days. He told me if he had known AC was using stainless steal brake line he would have bought it on the spot!! LOL

WhoDatInDaMud, how do you like your ?TRVs?? My friend looked at those too. He thinks he is going to just wait a couple months and get his girlfriend her own ATV. We looked at them when they first came out and liked them. I thought I carried a lot of stuff!! Looks like you enjoy this as much as we do. Thanks for the input.

CatWithClaws, the Hondamatic is why we bought the Rubicon, love that trans.

Andy, a friend of mine in CO has a 500 manual and loves it, ZERO problems.

Thanks

Old 04-05-2005, 07:29 PM
Pro Rider

I am not here to bash. You asked why; which involves perceptions. I gave you my perceptions and you tell me they are inncorrect, silly, and otherwise wrong. who's the one being critical of the responses (bashing)? To me AC offers a lot more for my money then Honda. This is known as VALUE. Stainless steel braided brake lines aren't the only thing. I mentioned several other things too like extra large fuel capacity, IRS, 10" suspension travel, comfortable seat (yes I think AC has the best seat of any manufacturer).

If you are only doing 8-10 mph and remain on level roads then you're correct good brakes aren't needed. I don't have a 300 and where you obtained that information I don't know. Considering dry weight of a quad is between 600-761. Add fuels and lubricants at approx 6lb per gallon. then add gear of about 50-80 lbs and finally add a rider at about 200 lbs then you can see that you're easily at 800-1000 lbs. Considering these machines top out at about 55mph then having the ability to stop is important to me. again this is for me. I may only average 10 mph per hour but that doesn't mean thats my top speed. I may be on a road doing 45-50 then drop into a wash or a tight twisty trail that only allows for 5-10mph speeds. Yes my speed will average out to be 10-20mph.

I wish your friend luck in his decision and I'm sure he will enjoy his quad because it will be the one he perceives as the best fit for him

Quick Reply: Arctic Cat vs Honda