Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Arctic Cat vs Honda

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 09:36 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Arctic Cat vs Honda

Me neither Mr. Taylor, and sorry if I got a little testy.

Funny thing, I get home today and there is my new ATV mag with a test on, AC 500 Auto.

Great riding, I'll let you know.

Old 04-05-2005, 09:38 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WhoDatInDaMud, how do you like your ?TRVs?? My friend looked at those too. He thinks he is going to just wait a couple months and get his girlfriend her own ATV. We looked at them when they first came out and liked them. I thought I carried a lot of stuff!! Looks like you enjoy this as much as we do....
Well, I liked the TRV's to buy a 2nd one after the first. And several of our friends have switched to the TRV as riding as couples for a day on the trail is one heck of a good day with friends and family. Given all three in the garage I always go for the TRV. Maybe because of all the stuff I have bolted on it...lol

You'all should give it a try some time when you get the chance. Aint bad with a cooler full of sandwiches and a soda, with the wife on the back to hand things forward....lol

Old 04-05-2005, 09:54 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: Specta
A friend of mine is looking at the AC 500 auto and a Rubicon. He is asking me for help so he can decide. Power is not the issue and neither is the "locking front diff". He really like the looks of the AC and the lime green color and the racks. Those have to be the greatest racks of all.

Don't want to start a war or bashing. Are there any problems with AC ATVs? Anything he should be aware of??

Why did you pick 500 auto??

Thanks

Had to edit, he is looking at the 500 auto, not the 650, sorry for the mistake.
SPECTRA:

i had a 2002 500 w/manual trans, it was my first wheeler, it was between it and the honda. got better deal on AC. know have 04 650 A/C. i have rode past to weekends with 15 riders all to the man on honda's. when i asked them why they all rode honda's they all said they were "bullit proof" and i had to agree.

but after riding with them they were way impressed with the A/C, i could go more places because of ground clearance and the loved the mrp rack system. i know you were asking about the 500 but the 500 and 650 are pretty close in size. the 500 has suzukie motor, just as " bullit proof " as honda and way more options.

hope this helps

Old 04-06-2005, 12:16 AM
Pro Rider

my parents both have honda foreman's and they bought them so that they would have them 30 years from now and dad's 2000 honda foreman 450 has about 2000 miles on it with no problems. but when it comes to us out riding all day long through rough terrain i am comfy and they get the crap beat out of them i know you are asking bout the rubicon but my experiences have showen that arctic cat has a better ride. and in one year i have put about 1400 miles on my 650 and have had 0 problems other then those lil kawasaki things on it. the 500 arctic cat is bombproof i had a 2002 and a 2003 never had any problems with either and can't complain with 12 inches of travel. during deer season this last year it was wet getting to our stands and dad burried his honda in the mud (he has the same tires i have on my 650) i drove up to him in my ruts hooked on the winch put it in reverse and backed out pulling him so when mother nature throws you them lil curve ***** the ground clearance is nice. don't get me wrong i like the honda i just like my arctic cat a heck of alot better.

Old 04-09-2005, 02:01 AM
Pro Rider

My friend bought a new AC 500 Auto 4x4 LE. He said it was a tough decision between the Rubicon and the AC. He said sitting on both of them felt right. He liked both. Why did he pick the AC LE???? He liked the lime green and the polished aluminum wheels.

Its about time he bough an ATV. We bought ours 4 years ago because he was going to buy one!!! LOL. The fun begins.

Old 04-09-2005, 08:53 AM
Weekend Warrior

I just got a TRV last week....it was the right choice for me. I have three kids and my wife all wanting to ride...so for me being able to SAFELY ride 2up, was a major influence in my purchase decision. I read the reviews and hit the forums....and it was hard to find negative comments from AC owners. I'd say 99% of them are very happy with what they got. This TRV of mine is like a tank best that I can tell so far with my limited experience with it. The MRP is great and soooo versatile. BTW....I liked the booger green too! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-11-2005, 11:13 AM
Pro Rider

i would go with the rubicon also.
and the main reson i would do that is because of the new body plastic on the cat.
i have a friend who has an 05 650 cat and every time we go into the bush he brakes or cracks a fender.
the plastic is so stiff and wont bend like the 03s and 04s.
and if you cant fix it it looks ugly.
and to replace it would cost to much.
also the headlights are mounted on plastic and dont hold up very good eather.
my friends is held in with a bungy cord.
and he cant fix it without spending a bundle.
and then how long will the new one last.
cats have to much plastic that can brake and it costs a mint to replace.
every time we go out hes worryed about braking the plastic.
if your friend does alot of off road riding and tight trail riding i would go with the honda its a better trail quad and the plastic wont brake like the cats do.
and the top speed is the same.
i know because i had an 03 500 cat and i own an 04 honda and the top speed is the same.
plus the honda costs less and with the money he saves on the honda he can get a nice set of tires.
i see all the time what the cat can do in the bush and the honda also, and the honda will outdo the cat no sweat on the trails.
if you dont go on that many trails that might catch a fender and brake it then he might like the cat.
the cat has a better ride and more GC and locking front diff but it sucks on the trails.
its more of a cruiseing and mudding quad.
the honda is a great trail quad and will never let you down.
and the tranny is sweet with the d1 d2 and manual shift moads.
plus its way more nimble then the cat and easyer to ride.
honda all the way.
AND im not kidding when i say the cats plastic will brake not bend like the hondas will.
and dont cut me down saying that its not true because if you havent cracked or broke a fender then you dont ride it very hard.

Old 04-11-2005, 12:46 PM
Pro Rider

UnStOpPaBlE, we looked real hard at the TRV when they first came out. We ride 2-up on our Rubicon and have for 5000 miles. When the TRV came out we just couldn't justify selling our Rubicon and getting another ATV, not a smart money move.

When our Rubicon reaches 10,000 miles we will look again. The only thing I don't like about anu of the 2-up ATVs is the added length. Other than that I think they are great.

My friend rode his new AC yesterday and seems to be quite happy. He likes the ride and went through a couple big rutts quiote fast and was surprised how well it took them.

He too looked at the TRV, but then decided he will just buy his girlfriend her own ATV.

Thanks,

Old 10-04-2012, 10:25 AM
Weekend Warrior

I'm new here, new to atv riding. I started searching this topic because I'm going to make a purchase. I was more concerned with trying not to made a brand purchase that would result in more "down time and wrenching on" than actual riding. I guess that either way I go I'll be fine. Independent rear looks like my way to go since I'll be riding, not working on a ranch. This thread had great posts and info.

Old 10-04-2012, 03:10 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

I knew this was a old post when the guy said the AC did not have diff lock. I think everybody has diff lockers now or a true AWD system of some kind . Honda is the last hold out with 3x4 only.

Quick Reply: Arctic Cat vs Honda