Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

I'm a proud new owner of a TRV!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 10:13 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm a proud new owner of a TRV!

whodat, lol

Old 04-11-2005, 10:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

HEY 6040,

I had some concerns myself before purchasing the beast, some said heat tape some said to make sure it is not running too rich, I have had some heat from the exhaust also. So far it is not too bad, Lets hope it does not get worse, Should someone find this tape or resolve
please let us know.

Old 04-12-2005, 09:52 AM
Weekend Warrior

I've noticed too...she runs hot. Get's hot quick too. I've got about 120 miles on it. The manual says to change the oil and filter at this time. What kinda oil would be the best, someone said synthetic's make it run cooler.... is that what ya all are using? I can handle 1st and 2nd degree burns...but I don't think a 3rd degree burn would be that attractive![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img] Anyone ever had a problem running the engine hot then hitting a nice cold creek and having any breakdowns?

Old 04-12-2005, 10:47 AM
Weekend Warrior

I can't remember if it was on this board or another - but someone said to wait until the 600mi mark before using Synthetic ( I thought I read it in the manual it was about the same time as the second oil change). I have 350 on mind now. So in another month or 2, I'm going to change it to synthetic. Tape might not do too much. We should figure out on how to make a detachable heat shield for that side - Hint, hint Whodat..........

Old 04-12-2005, 09:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

Synthetic oil,
Well I do agree that synthetic is a better choice for theses machines, it should helps with the heat issue it worked in my 91 ford one ton auto-trans, Dropped the temp a lot! no need to wait change it on the 1st oil change! A heat shield would be nice and better yet for cat to address the heat issue and supply a sheild for those of us that have this problem. Funny thing is I know other folks that say they have not had an issue???????

Old 04-12-2005, 11:06 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: UnStOpPaBlE
I've noticed too...she runs hot..... I can handle 1st and 2nd degree burns...but I don't think a 3rd degree burn would be that attractive![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img] Anyone ever had a problem running the engine hot then hitting a nice cold creek and having any breakdowns?
On a warm dry summer day we will get the quads pretty hot going up the winding mountain trails in the Absaroka-Beartooth Range of the Rocky Mountains in southern Montana just above the nothern boarder of YellowStone National Park. We cross ice-cold streams from the melting ice pack that form the Boulder River with water nearly to the tops of the tires as we cross the rocky bottomed creeks. There is a roaring current with white water rushing enough to push us sideways at times. We drag ropes along that are tied off to the quads and the trunks of the giant pine trees to provide a rescue line should the current get to strong. Once on the cool crisp summit we sometimes get stuck in the shadowed pockets of pure white snow hidden from the briliant sun by the surrounding peaks even in the heat of July. On a good day....

ahemmm.... No issues noted.

Old 04-12-2005, 11:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: WhoDatInDaMud
Originally posted by: UnStOpPaBlE
I've noticed too...she runs hot..... I can handle 1st and 2nd degree burns...but I don't think a 3rd degree burn would be that attractive![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img] Anyone ever had a problem running the engine hot then hitting a nice cold creek and having any breakdowns?
On a warm dry summer day we will get the qauds pretty hot going up the winding mountain trails in the Absaroka-Beartooth Range of southern Montana just above the nothern boarder of YellowStone National Park. We cross ice-cold streams from the melting ice pack that form the Boulder River with water nearly to the tops of the tires as we cross the rocky bottomed creeks. There is a roaring current with white water rushing enough to push us sideways at times. We drag ropes along that are tied off to the quads and the trunks of the giant pine trees to provide a rescue line should the current get to strong. Once on the cool crisp summit we sometimesl get stuck in the shadowed pockets of pure white snow hidden from the briliant sun by the surrounding peaks even in the heat of July. On a good day....

ahemmm.... No issues noted.
Glad to hear that, I figured they could handle extremes like that. Hey...I worked out in YNP for two summers, and I know where you're talkin' about! I was there in 1988 and 89. 88 was the year of the fires! I worked on a fire crew for a couple of months after my other job had ended. YNP is a gift from God lemme tell ya. But the animals can be meaner than $hit! I figure I got chased by about everything out there. Got tree'd by some Bison one time...seems they REALLY hate when you throw sticks at them! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I spent some time in Glacier too, beautiful isn't strong enough words for those two places.

Old 04-13-2005, 10:23 AM
Weekend Warrior

Yeah, talk about mean animals. I was in Glacier Nat'l in '91 and was chased of a switch back by a 8 point. Ran into him again little farther down the trail and he started to charge again before leaped up the mountain about 15yard in front of me. I have a pic of him in the air. Try to dig it up and scan it to post.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 07-26-2005, 01:07 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hi there TRV owners. I've been looking at a 2005 650 H1 but have recently been thinking about a TRV. I'm new to ATV's and live in AZ where I here they ticket you if you ride two up on a one up machine. Can you have just as much fun on a TRV as you can on a "one up?" I know the TRV's are only 500's so how's the power. I'm planning on my son riding with me (he's 7) and ocasionally my wife. What do you think? I was going to go put some $ down to hold the H1 this weekend until we get back from vacation toward the end of August. Should I choose the TRV instead?

Old 07-26-2005, 04:51 PM
Pro Rider

If your going to safely carry your son, wife or anyone else as a pax - the TRV is the way to go.
Is it as much fun? - Depends....
If doing 70mph runs down the road is your idea of fun - then nope
If doing wheelies or getting air-time is fun - then nope again

There is nothing more fun then riding 2up comfortably and safely. The TRV has enough power to climb a tree IMO. Fast it is not. 2X fun it is.
I carry a half a ton (it seems) of gear and supplies up mountains with my wife on the back. We both love it.
I have friends with the 650. Big deal as far as I'm concerned. I don't know ANYWHERE a 650 can go that the 500 can't. Speed is the only difference.
Actually the longer wheel base makes the machine more comfortable to ride and the steering is not as strenuous as the 650.

We ride the public forest trails in MN and WI. The average speed on our group rides is about 20 miles on a 5 hour ride. Do the math.

Good luck on making the right decision. It sounds as if you have answered your own question...lol

Quick Reply: I'm a proud new owner of a TRV!