Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

I gotta ? bout tires & TRV's

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2005, 06:33 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I gotta ? bout tires & TRV's

Anyone with a TRV know what the max size I can just bolt on to my TRV without any other mods? I'm gonna get a set of Zillas or Mud lites, haven't flipped that coin yet as to which.

Old 04-17-2005, 07:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

since its between them 2 i would go with the zillas
but it depends on how much muddin you will be doing

Old 04-17-2005, 07:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the reply. That's the thing...this time of year there's lot's of mud...come June and July, mud is a distant memory. So I'll probably keep the stock wheels and tires for dry months, and get some Zillas for rainy season. I just was curious if 28x12x12(rear) & 28x10x12(fronts) will be OK to just bolt on, and not have any rubbing occur. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 04-17-2005, 08:51 PM
Pro Rider

go with the 27 inch tires if your not sure

Old 04-18-2005, 12:06 AM
Pro Rider

i think that as long as you go with 10" fronts you can run 27's with no problems and 28's will prob rub on the fender.

Old 04-18-2005, 05:30 PM
Pro Rider

I am not sure of the largest tire size that can fit but I can tell you that when I put the 26 inch Mudlites on my TRV and ride through the mud it creates what someone on this forum adequtely describbed as the "manure spreader" effect.

The passenger gets just plastered from the rear tires and the riders gets it from the front tires.So if you go with larger ties you will need to entend the fender flares to stop this problem.

As always if you go with too large a tire size you will cause premature wear on axle components (bearings, axle, etc)

SJ

Old 04-18-2005, 07:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: swampyjunior
I am not sure of the largest tire size that can fit but I can tell you that when I put the 26 inch Mudlites on my TRV and ride through the mud it creates what someone on this forum adequtely describbed as the "manure spreader" effect.

The passenger gets just plastered from the rear tires and the riders gets it from the front tires.So if you go with larger ties you will need to entend the fender flares to stop this problem.

As always if you go with too large a tire size you will cause premature wear on axle components (bearings, axle, etc)

SJ
Thanks for the warnings. I can assure you that getting plastered with mud is something that's gonna happen when I'm behind the wheel! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] With the bigger tires...I'll just add a few more pounds of mud to me, and any brave passenger that happens to be riding along. Now axel problems are something I definately don't want... so maybe I should be a little less aggresive and get 26 or 27's.

BTW...how do you like your 03 TRV? Anything about it that you feel I should know about mine?

Old 04-18-2005, 09:31 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you could go with 26 GBC gators...alot cheaper than the zillas and will last longer than the mud lites...i remember this one website that had them for $54.00 a tire you buy 4 tires they get shipped for free

Old 04-19-2005, 03:50 PM
Pro Rider

I think the TRV is the same frame and stuff as the TBX and I have not heard much about any axle problems with TBX machines. Heck I haven't heard much of anything bad about them except that they have had a gas tank recall here recently. I was just figuring tha AC would not tool-up special axles for the TBX or TRV so they have the same as the 400 and 500's. People who "go large" on tire sizes are having some axle problems.

My only problem was with my analog speedometer. The speedometer driven gear seized up and snapped off the end of the counter shaft in the transmission. The entire engine and transmission have to be taken apart and the case split open to replace the counter shaft. It happened after my warranty expired but AC was willing to pay parts if I paid labor. But since my nearest AC dealer is over 700 airmiles away (no roads from here to there). I have chosen to just drive it W/O a speedometer. I am still looking for an aftermarket speedo that is driven off something else. I have seen a few that appear to be driven off the front or rear wheels but I haven't had time to look at them closer yet.

The larger tires on the TRV are some what dangerous W/O entended fender flares. I broke a pair of my gogles and got a pretty good bruise on my nose from a rock that the front tires threw up and came back and got me. Mud is one thing, rocks are something different. No troubles and I think I have about 1500 miles on it. I run synthetic oil too. I put that in on the second oil change (about 500 miles).

Do the new 2005 TRV's have a front diff lock? (looking at getting a second TRV)

SJ

Old 04-21-2005, 03:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

My 05 don't have a diff lock....wish it did. It has extended fender flares but that only keeps half the mud off. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Another thing I wish it had is the look of the 05 TBX and 650V2.... I don't have the "cat's eye" headlights and new grill, etc... Those cosmetic changes really make the 05's look killer.

Quick Reply: I gotta ? bout tires & TRV's