Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Warn 2000lbs or extended warr.

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2000, 10:32 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey im getting a 500 auto this week and do you think its a better deal to go with the winch or the ext.

Old 10-03-2000, 12:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

Since I've used my winch three times in the first 160 miles, haven't had any trouble with the cat, and hear lots more about their reliability than problems, I'd opt for the winch.

Old 10-03-2000, 03:27 PM
Pro Rider

Stitchzr2:
That's a tough decision of which requires little thought. While it is true that Honda's have the best reliablity factor, AC's are right up there as well. Very few problems in comparison to others across the board. I think the cost of the winch vs. the cost of the extended warranty is about the same if you buy outside of the special promotions AC offers. As a result, $69 for the winch is a great buy for the promotion.

I personnally believe that as long as you take care of your machine (i.e. keep up with regular maintenance such as oil changes, air filter, etc.) you'll be just fine, and probably won't need the warranty. I also believe that a winch is the absolute best improvement you can make to a quad. Sure performance kits will give you more speed and power, tires will give you more clearance, and better traction, and everything else just looks cool but the the fact of the matter is, you'll still get stuck. Add a winch on the other hand, and while you may not need it every time you ride, eventually you will get stuck, and it will then become your best friend.

Winches are not only handy for those nasty situations, but also for various chores along the trail as well. I've used mine more times than I can count to remove fallen timber from roads or trails when I didn't have my chainsaw with me. Sure, you could just go around the tree, but in regards to other wheelers who would possibly be using that trail, I figure it is best to just clear the trail properly rather than making a new one. This also prevents the eco-***** from having something else to bitch about.

Also, occassionally while out riding, I've encountered full sized rigs (trucks, suburbans, vans, etc.) stuck. While the drivers of these vehicles may think you're crazy, they too will be amazed when you pull up on the big 'Cat, hook the winch up, and pop them right out. A few of them are even willing to pay for this "gesture of good faith". (keep in mind I'm not suggesting you go out and start charging people to free them from a sticky situation, but rather, you have the ability to do that, should the need arise with a winch-free them I mean)

I also use my winch up at our property for fence mending and stretching. This is also a great job for the winch. Makes less of a hassle for you as well. If you hunt, they're also great for hoisting animals up on to the meat pole for skinning or hanging. Basically, the possiblities of a winch are endless.

I would recommend though, that should you go with the winch, you also pick up a good ****** block as well. A ****** block to a winch is like aftermarket tires to an atv. Sure the stock tires will go many places, but with the added benefit of taller, more aggresive tires, you have far superior traction, and greater ground clearance. With the ****** block, you've now doubled your pulling power, and have gained the possibilities of angled pulls, hoisting, weird positions, and the like. Definately a tool of which it's usefullness out-weighs it's small cost.

Anyway, hope that gives you something to think about. Best of luck with your decision, and hope you enjoy your new machine!

Mike

Old 10-03-2000, 08:07 PM
Pro Rider

Haveing owned a Cat for 2 1/2 years and never been in the shop I would go with the winch. I also have a winch and use it often like Cowboy was saying. I use it to pick my snow plow up and down, pull 250lb Moose quarters up a meat poles, pull stuck wheelers out the mud, ect. If you can afford it though it wouldn't hurt to have the extended warranty and the winch. Good luck with your new machine!

Old 10-03-2000, 09:12 PM
Pro Rider

If you are very hard on your bike like I am you MIGHT want the warranty, but otherwise it takes alot of hard riding to hurt these cat. I get 6ft of air comming out of canals, I've drowned my cat twice, pulled 8000 lb trucks, etc. All in the 2600 miles that I have owned my cat.

So far I have had it in the shop for the rear end going out(water in the rear end causeing bearings to go out and lose rear wheel power), waterpump gasket( caused by thermostate going out), and I now need to bring my cat in the shop cause I THINK The carb is dirt (drained about 5seconds of muddy fuel from the float bowl).

Other wise My cat has been very good to me, it has never left me straided to far from home(when I drowned it I had to walk a 1/8 mile home).

Bottom line is that if you are good to you Arctic Cat it will be good to you, if not you are just asking for trouble.(I'm all ways looking for a good time, most of the timeit's trouble).