Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

03 400i

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2005, 08:56 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 400i

Well, I haven't been here for a while. Well, I haven't been on my bike for that long also. Some of you guys might remember last time I was here I was changing the head and cam & cover $1200.00. Now looks like I will need a new piston and cilinder#%&*&^%$@. I started to get a knocking coming from the motor and it started to use up oil #%&%$#. Not liking my 03 400i at all, for as many bearings I put in and the head now piston and not to mention all the other stuff this bike cost me. I will next time by something different. Cat can contact me any time I will explain.

Old 05-15-2005, 09:46 PM
Trailblazer
Default 03 400i

What happened to it?

Old 05-15-2005, 10:17 PM
Range Rover
Default 03 400i

Sound's like you've had an oiling problem for a while did you ever have the oil pump checked........man that sucks.....did your dealer tell you why your cam wore when this problem started?

Old 05-18-2005, 05:35 PM
Pro Rider
Default 03 400i

Anton,

If I remember correctly you had the timing chain or cam wear away something in the head right? If so that would put a huge amount of metal particles inthe oil and since the engine is a wet clutch system. If it was not flushed or cleaned correctly that may have caused your current piston and cylinder problem. Also if you did not replace the piston and cylinder from before that might also be a factor.

I know a guy who had metal shavings from something in his engine and he basically had to replace the entire engine (on a Honda) due to the oil and transmission being in the same case and sharing the same oil.

Sorry to hear of your troubles. I think someone posted on here about knowing someone in who deals in used AC parts if you are interested. Don't remember who it was though.

SJ

Old 05-18-2005, 07:46 PM
Trailblazer
Default 03 400i

Ok here is the scoop. When the head and cam went the dealer told me I put the wrong oil in? Not a chance. Then he said I must of started it when it was cold and didn’t let it warm up? I don’t think so. I fixed the problem but replacing the top end. $1200.00 parts. I inspected the piston at that time. It was good had a second set of eyes look at to be sure.
Flushed the system 4 times. Put good oil in checked to see that the pump was working, all good. Now with out sounding accusing talked to some guys and seems to be a common problem at this place. That’s all I’m going to say about this place. Then now I’m getting this knocking seems to also be common at this place. Was also told that AC knows about it and is not looking in to it. That’s fine when this bike is gone I will buy a different brand. And told all my friends about this also. I am not going to get into too much detail at this time. You asked.

Old 01-13-2006, 01:09 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default 03 400i

I bought an 05 400 manual back in march of last year. The airbox cover kept coming loose (the seat was pushing down on the airbox and would bend the mounting brackets, causing the cover to deform) I got into a mud hole and it sucked a bunch of mud into the airbox. (Yes, I know the manual says not to take it in water over the foot pegs) [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] After I got it started it was smoking ALOT. I took it back to the dealer that I bought it from. He had it for a couple of weeks. I called him and he told me that something was wrong with the valves. And that the Arctic Cat wouldn't pay for it because it had been in water. After spending an hour on the phone talking to some custumer support person, who told me that the airbox was not really waterproof and that I had taken it in water over the foot pegs.......The dealer said he felt bad about it, them not paying for the engine work (Arctic Cat did pay him to repair the airbox) all I had to do was pay him for parts.........anyway, I got the cat back after three weeks or so. The motor was making a really loud noise, not the normal knock that the engine had always had. This was more of a ticking sound. When I picked it up from the dealer he said it would get better after I ran it awhile. Well after 40 miles of riding it was twice as loud as before. This time I took it back and went in the shop and watched the mech take it apart. Once inside the valve cover I noticed the timing chain was loose. I asked the mech about it and he said it was normal. So I started asking the mechanic questions and come to find out all that was wrong with it the first time was the rings. But they had the valves ground and alot of other things done that was not needed. The mechanic did not adjust the valves after having them ground. So the auto compression release streched the timing chain.........I had the mechanic put it back togather and I brought it home and replaced the chain myself......it's running great now...............But I will NOT own another Arctic Cat. My wife rides a 99 Honda 400 foreman, daughter (17) 87 350 foreman, daughter (13) 87 Suzuki LT80.

Old 01-13-2006, 02:09 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default 03 400i

Originally posted by: Wilburnga
I bought an 05 400 manual back in march of last year. The airbox cover kept coming loose (the seat was pushing down on the airbox and would bend the mounting brackets, causing the cover to deform) I got into a mud hole and it sucked a bunch of mud into the airbox. (Yes, I know the manual says not to take it in water over the foot pegs) [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] After I got it started it was smoking ALOT. I took it back to the dealer that I bought it from. He had it for a couple of weeks. I called him and he told me that something was wrong with the valves. And that the Arctic Cat wouldn't pay for it because it had been in water. After spending an hour on the phone talking to some custumer support person, who told me that the airbox was not really waterproof and that I had taken it in water over the foot pegs.......The dealer said he felt bad about it, them not paying for the engine work (Arctic Cat did pay him to repair the airbox) all I had to do was pay him for parts.........anyway, I got the cat back after three weeks or so. The motor was making a really loud noise, not the normal knock that the engine had always had. This was more of a ticking sound. When I picked it up from the dealer he said it would get better after I ran it awhile. Well after 40 miles of riding it was twice as loud as before. This time I took it back and went in the shop and watched the mech take it apart. Once inside the valve cover I noticed the timing chain was loose. I asked the mech about it and he said it was normal. So I started asking the mechanic questions and come to find out all that was wrong with it the first time was the rings. But they had the valves ground and alot of other things done that was not needed. The mechanic did not adjust the valves after having them ground. So the auto compression release streched the timing chain.........I had the mechanic put it back togather and I brought it home and replaced the chain myself......it's running great now...............But I will NOT own another Arctic Cat. My wife rides a 99 Honda 400 foreman, daughter (17) 87 350 foreman, daughter (13) 87 Suzuki LT80.
Sounds more like a bad dealer than a bad machine. So you blame the machine for your poor choice of dealers.

Old 01-13-2006, 03:55 PM
Trailblazer
Default 03 400i

Well customer service is a big deal, I've switched cell phome companies, cable companies due to poor service. Yea it sucks on my part because I have to call and start over but I feel better standing my ground, when wronged. I agree with bear you can't blame AC for the dealer's problem, it's a great machine but I know good dealers are hard to find. I switched dealers because I was unhappy with my current one. Same as yamaha dealer I switched on them to when the feed a bunch of crap to my GF when she had her's in the shop.

It's your money fix the cat and trade it in on a honda, but don't be surprised if it breaks as well.

Old 01-14-2006, 11:46 AM
Pro Rider
Default 03 400i

I'm sure we're all familiar with the old "Monday and Friday" car thing. This sort of thing is true with everything, and more importantly, every brand. And then there's the "bad dealer" problems, and that too, is not brand specific.

It's easy to condemn a whole company and everything they make because of one bad experience, regardless of whether it's dealer or machine related. I'm as prone to that as anyone, though I like to think I've learned from my past experiences and look a little closer at what the real problem is.

We have two 04 400i's and have well over 1300 miles on both - and not a LICK of trouble out of either of them. The only mod we've done is, a winch on one. Mine...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-16-2006, 10:49 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 03 400i

Sounds more like a bad dealer than a bad machine. So you blame the machine for your poor choice of dealers.

No, I don't blame the machine. I ride the heck (probably called abuse by some) out of my 4 wheelers and expect them to brake. The dealer I used does not have a very good 4 wheeler mechanic, from talking to him he seems like a great boat motor mechnic [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]. My problem was with Arctic Cat, they payed the dealer to repair the airbox but wouldn't pay for the engine damage the airbox caused. But no, I do like the machine. Just got a sour feeling dealing with the customer support people.

Quick Reply: 03 400i