Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

don't know what to do

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2005, 11:36 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default don't know what to do

I would like to now all of the upgrade and mods I cad do to my 04 650 cat and would like to know if anyone used the Goliath cdi box and if it is a good one and does that box stop the limp mod I had it happen 4 times in 500 miles. Took it back to dealer and he said the belt was good. But really need help with the mods I realy don't know what to do.

Old 05-16-2005, 11:36 PM
Pro Rider

either the dynatek or dg3 cdi will get rid of limp mode and gain ya some nice horsepower. never heard of the goliath cdi before. and i would get the black secondary and pink primary springs for the clutching to tighten it up and you have to remove a shim on the secondary clutch. heard people using the red primary spring as well. i think it is speedwerks has a tuned exhaust system. and i know there is a cam mod you can get i wonder if it is through highlifter. you can also get an airbox upgrade but can't think off the top of my head who makes it again it is at the tip of my tongue. and one of the first things i would do is get rid of the radial tires and get some 6-ply tires i know alot of people either got the itp 589's or mud lites but there are many other great 6-ply tires out there as well. well i hope this answers more questions then creates.

Old 05-17-2005, 04:32 PM
Trailblazer

I have about 1300 miles on my '04 650 V2. The most noticable change was to get rid of the radial tires and changed to mud lites. The difference in handling was like night and day. I also changed the air intake snorkle (Velocity Devices, Inc.) and rejetted for that and installed a EPI black secondary spring and removed one shim for the clutching. I am seriously looking at ordering a new CDI module from VDI when they come out. My wife and I have really enjoyed the bike (riding double) and look forward to another great summer. I have had a great winter vise for many years (snowmobiles) and have now found my summer vise. The seasons overlap and I love it.

Old 05-17-2005, 04:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

what should i do first and what would be the most bang for the buck thanks

Old 05-17-2005, 05:10 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!

Originally posted by: packercat
what should i do first and what would be the most bang for the buck thanks
Tires and a Dynatek CDI are what you need. I think the Gators would look nice on that 650! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 05-17-2005, 06:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: m74me
I have about 1300 miles on my '04 650 V2. The most noticable change was to get rid of the radial tires and changed to mud lites. The difference in handling was like night and day. I also changed the air intake snorkle (Velocity Devices, Inc.) and rejetted for that and installed a EPI black secondary spring and removed one shim for the clutching. I am seriously looking at ordering a new CDI module from VDI when they come out. My wife and I have really enjoyed the bike (riding double) and look forward to another great summer. I have had a great winter vise for many years (snowmobiles) and have now found my summer vise. The seasons overlap and I love it.
Forgive my ignorance as I am pretty new to being an owner.

How was the handling different? What are the complaints on the radials? I've heard widely varying opinions on bigger tires (noise, vibration, etc.)

Clutch spring: What exactly do different springs do? Change the power placement (rpm vs speed?) What effects do different springs have on top end?

Is the snorkel kit worth it? I realize it is inexpensive but is there a noticeable gain?

I thirst for knowldge [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 05-17-2005, 08:56 PM
Pro Rider

The radials roll under real easy making handling "mooshey" at best and down right dangerous out higher trail speeds. Even a nasty knobby mud tire handles better.

I longer spring in the secondary slows the upshift rate and drastically inproves backshift/downshift. Depending how much longer you go, you may lose some top end speed bcause the secondary won't shift out all the way. The EPI Black secondary spring is a very good choice for most riders, myself included. The EPI Red spring has a lot more "oomph" (real long) and really works if you're in the mud all the time, but it makes the engine rev a lot all the time causing really poor mileage and cost me 7 or 8 mph top end.

Changing springs in the primary affects the engagement RPM and the RPM at which the engine stays when under full power. I tried a Prairie 700 spring and a EPI pink. Both have the same engagement RPM as the the stocker but have higher finishing rates. I settled on the pink spring for its slightly higher revs.

Opening up the airbox really helped the AC. The stock jets are 122 compared to the P650 stockers of (I think) 138/142......the only difference being the airbox restriction.

Old 05-17-2005, 11:31 PM
Pro Rider

the main reason for the clutch springs and removing the shim is that kawasaki sent the motor clutching combonations over here with the belt set at the loosest setting which in turn makes it very easy to slip the belt specially with larger tires. probably 95 percent of the people did clutch work for that reason. lol i was watching atv television the other day and our buddy doug meier was bragging about how well the radial tires work and how much safer they are. well i was yelling IDIOT at the tv i have 1450 miles on my fourwheeler and i maybe have 50 miles on the stock rims and tires and the rims are all chewed up from the rubber rolling under the rim. i would say best bang for buck would be the cdi.

Old 05-17-2005, 11:58 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So if I wanted to firm up the clutch without rearranging the power placement what would be best?

So basically the radials suck because they have a very soft sidewall? Is there a tire with a stiff sidewall that doesn't have such extreme mud traction?

Old 05-18-2005, 06:35 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

There are a lot of good tires out there that aren't mud tires. And for a decent price on them as well. Bear Claws, Dirt Devils, 489's, to name a few. I believe that the Bighorn radial should hold up a lot better than those sucky stock tires, though it does have a fairly aggressive tread. But not actually a mud tread.