Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

400 Manual Slippage - Clutch adjustments?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2005, 02:59 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 400 Manual Slippage - Clutch adjustments?

well when it gets cold out I'll set the carbs for you, don't like to here I sold you bad a deal, it ran fine before I tore it down last summer and it was warm when I reset the carbs.

yeah I know this is a atv web sit, and will get harassed for talking about sleds, but in cold states it fun to ride in the snow. (you can do this on an ATV as well) time to sign off, contact our handi-colored-capped friend and we will work out the details on the Low Range Reverse.

Old 07-23-2005, 07:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok, back on topic. I know what I need now. The reason I couldn't find it in that online parts list is because it is not sold as a seperate part. It is sold only as an assembled unit. It is the starter clutch that I need, part number 3446-290, and the housing for it. I bought the housing today at the AC dealer, but they didn't have the starter clutch in stock. Plus, it was about $200 for it and I think that's a lot of money for what actually needs to be replaced. I just need the shoes, but nobody just sells those.

So, my next question. Is there a good place to find aftermarket parts? Specifically, the starter clutch? I've looked around on the net all day and have not found much. Just wondering where you guys buy aftermarket parts from.

Thanks for your help.

Old 08-04-2005, 01:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

Just joined this forum and saw your question. If you haven't already found an exploded parts view, I believe the front hub assy. would be the primary, or centrifigal clutch assy. The small , spring loaded clutch arms will engage the outer drum ID when sufficient engine RPM is reached to overcome the spring tention holding the arms collapsed away from the clutch drum. As you look further back towards the rear of the machine, you should see the secondary clutch pack assy. This is the clutch that you use to shift the atv. It will have a mechanism to release the clutch tension as you depress the gear shift lever and it is the clutch that you can adjust. hope this helps a little.

Old 08-04-2005, 02:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for writing back. Yeah, I did find it. The reason I couldn't find an exploded view is because the manuals didn't show that. I had taken the primary apart. I was looking for pictures of the shoes themselves. The only views I could find was with that assembly. I suppose this is because that's the only way they sell it. They do not just sell the individual shoes. I ordered the parts last week for it and they showed up two days ago. Got it slammed back together and it seems to work "ok". I think I need to readjust something though because the gear shifter is so touchy now. When I'm shifting up, if I accidently so much as think about shifting, it will go up another gear. It also doesn't seem to have the 'snap' or power that I had thought it had before. Seems to lose power very quickly now. I was in about 6 inches of mud going up a little bump that was about a foot high. It coudn't even spin the tires in 1st gear high range. Had to shift down to low range to get out of it. It was not thick mud either. It was more like just dirty water.

Old 08-04-2005, 02:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

DID YOU PULL THE COVER ON THE SECONDARY CLUTCH ASSY. AND INSPECT THE FIBER FRICTION PLATES FOR WEAR. IF THETHEY ARE BURNT AND SLIPPING, IT MAY SEEM LIKE LOSS OF POWER. ALSO, IF THE ADJUSTMENT IS TOO TIGHT, IT WILL CAUSE THE CLUTCH TO SLIP. ANOTHER THOUGHT, SINCE YOU NOW HAVE A MORE POSITIVE LOCK UP AT THE PRIMARY CLUTCH, THE ENGINE WILL TAKE UP THE LOAD AT A LOWER RPM NOW.

Old 08-04-2005, 03:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

No I didn't do that. I had thought about that too with the new shoes taking up more power since it's actually hooking up better.
I will play around with the adjustments on the clutch again. I just took it out again and it shifted from 4th to 5th without my foot even on the shifter. That seems to be where it normally does it, between 4th and 5th. All other gears are fine.

Old 08-06-2005, 03:10 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: eshocked
No I didn't do that. I had thought about that too with the new shoes taking up more power since it's actually hooking up better.
I will play around with the adjustments on the clutch again. I just took it out again and it shifted from 4th to 5th without my foot even on the shifter. That seems to be where it normally does it, between 4th and 5th. All other gears are fine.
My 400ac manual was sliping in 4th and 5th lower gears seemed ok tryed adjusting clutch and was no better....had to replace clutch at 700 miles(must be bad fiber or springs) 1000 miles on new clutch and not a problem..............warranty coverd mine..