Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Brakes!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2005, 11:57 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes!!!

I have a 2000 A.C. 400 4x4 It only has 850 miles on it. I bought it new.

I recently needed brakes pads. I brought it to a A.C. dealer. He put the new pads on it = $200.00

When I got it back, the brakes just didn't feel right. Spongy and just wouldn't stop fast enough to be safe. I brought it back and he said it was fine and that I just had to "break in the new pads".
I did the break in as he suggested even doing it over two weekends of riding with the brake lever on long enough to get the brakes hot. They still were not right.
I brought it back again and left it there this time.

This time he said i needed a new master cylinder. I said ok, go ahead = another $200.00 or so.

Got the atv back and still the same. Soft, spongy, and the parking brake would not even hold the ATV!

This time I decided to try a different dealer. I figured the first one was just missing something. Probally something stupid.

The second dealer took it in, went through it and said the pads were good, disks were good, and it has to be in the master cylinder. He wanted to use one from the '03 model year. Said it was a better master cylinder than the '00 year. I said ok....go ahead....$150.00

Called me up and said it was better, but still not right. I went there and it was hardly better at all. He said all that was left was the calipers. Three of them. again, Using '03 calipers. I said ok....go ahead. ....$250.00

Went back and a noticeable difference, but it still could not stop fast enuf to be safe and the parking brake still wont hold it on a hill.

He now calls A.C. to see if there was any known problem. They tell him to replace the hoses??? Replace the hoses???

So that is where I am now. I told him to go ahead. I have not got it back yet.

If this dosent work, is there any suggestions????

I have used two different dealers and $1000.00 on brakes?!?!?!

What could it be????

Old 08-06-2005, 03:30 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Brakes!!!

Sounds to me like there is air trapped in the system and bleeding is not getting it out.

Old 08-06-2005, 10:51 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Brakes!!!

try using a vacuum bleeder.

Old 08-07-2005, 01:19 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brakes!!!

Hoses could have been your problem all along. Some units had this problem because the hoses expanded when brakes were applied and acted like a shock absorber. That is the main reason they went to braided line so they would hold their shape.

Old 08-07-2005, 02:57 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Brakes!!!

Originally posted by: TORK
Hoses could have been your problem all along. Some units had this problem because the hoses expanded when brakes were applied and acted like a shock absorber. That is the main reason they went to braided line so they would hold their shape.

Seems like the dealers should know about this. I would contact AC Customer Service about how much you have spent and not gotten a fix yet. The worst they can says is "too bad".

Old 08-09-2005, 12:11 AM
Pro Rider
Default Brakes!!!

Yes, dealers were told about this, aleast we were told at our update when I worked for a Cat dealer.

Old 08-09-2005, 01:24 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Brakes!!!

Then it sounds to me that somebody doesn't know how to do their job. I would think the dealer would be responsibile for not fixing you machine properly if there was a service notice on this.

Old 08-10-2005, 03:19 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Brakes!!!

Hey Trailblazer your not alone, I have the same problem with my 2000 AC 500, I have replaced the brake lines, brake pads and rear disk, and replaced the the master cylinder plunger, Hey I even hooked up a 1/4 hp pump and pumped fluid through all the lines and calipers and still low and behold, very little brakes, My last step was to hook just the front brakes direct to the master cylinder and still have little brakes, I think I will try to hook up another master cylinder just to run the front or back brakes

Old 08-12-2005, 10:03 PM
Pro Rider
Default Brakes!!!

Did you replace hoses with the braided hoses or the original style? The rubber hoses won't fix the problem.

Old 08-13-2005, 12:31 AM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!
Default Brakes!!!

same problem here with my 2002 500I . ive had mine in the shop 6,goin on 7 times after this week for the brakes. every time i get it back it either barely works or works for about 5 miles on the trail then goes to a spongy feeling, yep its been bleed and everything else you need to do with it. still not working. im starting to get a little pissed now. on top of that my rear brakes NEVER worked. they even tried the newer model brake lever assemblys and they told me it doesnt work. im dropping it off tomarrow and telling them i dont want it back till they can gaurentee that the brakes work properly,and im calling customer service. my buddy just bought the H1 and his already does the same thing.

Quick Reply: Brakes!!!