Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

500 steering problem !

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 10:29 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 500 steering problem !

my 2003 500 has a steering problem .... ive checked the wheel aligment and thats not the problem. While im turning the front of the atv wants to go down and has a tipping effect even when im not using the brakes. anyone else have this problem ... any tips ??[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 08-09-2005, 11:13 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Stiffen the front shock setting up a notch at a time untill you get the front end stiffness you are looking for. Some of this body roll is caused by the Cat's lack of an anti-sway bar. The up side is you have better independent suspension travel because of the lack of an anti-sway bar. I would rather have the suspension travel as this is an off road vehicle.

Old 08-09-2005, 11:19 PM
Pro Rider

I put heavier springs on my two TRV's to stop the nose dive and roll out. On the Polaris also. It made a huge difference. Not everyone wants that squishy Honda ride. It must be hard to engineer something that works for the 16 year old 100 pounder and also my adult scandinavian weight. Highlifter sells the HD springs. Get the kit with the spring tool if you dont have one for ATV springs.

Old 08-10-2005, 10:47 PM
Pro Rider

I had the same problem with my 400 irs 4x4, almost to the point of rolling the machine over, (scarry to say the least) after counless hours of trying different things, I went to a logical approach (going back to the approach of setting up stock cars for handling good in the corners), First the machine was understeering, which means the suspension on the front was too stiff, (it wanted to go straight and/or sink the front down and lift the rear) so I set the front at the lowest setting (keeping the front soft so it would grip) and kept upping the rear suspension (so it would come loose), worked really good but it still wasn't where I wanted to be with it. The front still wanted to dive and roll under, then it came to me the sidewalls of the front tires were rolling under and causing more weight to be transfered to the outside front while turning, so here is what I did and the machine is excellent

1) front shocks on lowest setting
2) rear shocks on second lowest setting (can go higher for more slide)
3) air pressure of 9lbs in the front and 6lbs in the rear. (this is what really cured it). In checking with some friends with other brands I found that some manufactures actually recommend 7 or 8 lbs in the front....

The maximum tire pressure from the tire manufacture is 36lbs so 9 or 10 is not even close to creating a situation. Even though the manual says only 5lbs. With 9 or 10 lbs in the front gives just enough bounce and stiffness in the tire to have the suspension behave and do what it should be doing, and also it keeps the sidewalls of the tires from rolling under causing an unpredictable situation.

My 400 handles like a dream now... I can run hard into the turns (jam the brakes on if needed) and gas it in the middle and it will slide the rear around and not dip the front.

I have actually gone so fast around a turn that it will loft the inside front tire off the ground and the outside front doesn't even hint at rolling under and the back just slides around.
Being a 4x4 is not really what you would call a hot-******* machine but it now gives the sensation of being one.

Old 08-10-2005, 10:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

ill try the 10lbs in the front and 6lbs in the back and see how it works out

Old 08-10-2005, 11:33 PM
Pro Rider

Hope you have as good luck as I did. I was so discouraged for a while, but walla, now I have a machine that handles good and also is articulate in the rough.

Life is so good when I get what I want..., hehe...

Here is another though for you, while running mud I generally set my suspension way up to 5, (helps maintain 12" of clearance and pushes tires down hard to good traction surface), I also run the heavy stock rims and heavy tires, just like a tractor will liquid fill their tires for better traction, heavy tires will sink down to solid ground for better grip. When running over bolders and logs I give up a little clearance for more articulation, softest setting on all 4 springs. (helps keep all 4 tires on the ground).

Wishing you good riding!

Old 08-11-2005, 08:57 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Mart
ill try the 10lbs in the front and 6lbs in the back and see how it works out
Curious if this made any difference.

I'm not so sure about the differential shock settings and tire pressures. I would think the center of gravity being so significantly higher on a ATV that car type suspension principles would not be applicable.

But I wont argue with success. Please post and let us know the outcome.

Old 08-12-2005, 06:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

I put 10 lbs of air in my front tires and 6lbs in the back and i have to say it made a big difference !! the cat now feels alot lighter and turns alot better .... thx for the suggestion .... front shocks are on the lowest and back are on 2nd lowest. ( stock )

Old 08-12-2005, 08:02 PM
Pro Rider

Glad it worked for you, better than spending some bucks on new tires and getting frustrated...

Old 05-09-2020, 07:48 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Over sensitive Steering

I just purchased a 2003 Acrtic Cat 500 TBX and it has crazy sensitive Steering. Whether I turn left of right it dives into the turn almost taking the handlebars out of your hands.
I adjusted the toe which was slightly out to the 1/4" toe in each side. It helped but still is bad. I then lowered the tire pressure to 4 lbs front and back. Better but not right. I also
I then made sure the front and rear shock adjustment was the same. Everything I have done has made it better but it is still dangerous to drive. The front end is tight.
I must be overlooking something. Any ideas would greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,

Jim

Quick Reply: 500 steering problem !