Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Thumb Warmers

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2000, 06:49 AM
JKB
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anybody use thumb warmers. I will be doing lots of cold weather driving this winter and will need something to keep my right hand from freezing. I was out early the other morning and had to keep stopping to warm my right hand up. Any suggestions would be great.

Cheers Jim

Old 10-20-2000, 08:30 AM
Range Rover

I dont know if you are wearing gloves. Here in New England i plan on riding in the winter for the first time. i have bought a pair of ski glove shells by De Kine. they are waterproof, windproof and breathable. i hope they work great. they also came with a removable fleece liner!

Old 10-20-2000, 08:44 AM
Pro Rider

Thumb warmers and hand warmers work great. I just recently put them on before a 6 day outing and was it ever nice. The temp never went above 30 during the day and down in the teens at night. Cold hands were never a problem. We didnt need them on the slow trails but out on the dirt roads heading home at night they were priceless. I dont like wearing heavy gloves when riding and the warmers allowed us to use thin cloth and have no problems.

Old 10-20-2000, 09:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thumb warmers work great. I have used one since 85. I bought it for about 25 dollars from Canadian tire. We do a lot of late season Moose hunting and ice fishing. Just bought a set of hand warmers for my Foreman. They work real well on the snowmachine so thought I would try the on the atv.

Old 10-20-2000, 11:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have had two sets of the hand warmers one on my big bear the other on the Rubicon. They are probaly the best mod I can think of for cold weather comfort. If you do use them be sure to use the slow cure hight temp epoxy that they recommend most other glues and silicone will let go when they get warm. Another neat idea my dealer told me about on the thumb warmer was to use heavy wall shrink tubing to help keep it in place seems alot of poeple were having trouble with the adhesive backing coming lose. Pay close atention to the wiring diagram on my new hot grips it is just the oposite as the older model one is in parallel the other is in series on the older style if you wire them in parallel they get way hot and things start to melt. The new hot grips were about twice as much as the old ones but are a lot softer and easier one the hands after a day or two of riding. Hope this helps dont be afraid to try them you will love them if your riding were its cold

Old 10-21-2000, 12:56 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the tip on the epoxy and the heat shrink for the thumb warmer. This is the type of good information that makes the form worth visiting.