Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

AC 650 Pro reviews

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 05:04 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC 650 Pro reviews

Yep! Here's another newbie (or in my profession "probbie") with an AC 650 question!

I'm in the market for my very first 4X4 quad to be worked hard around my 5+ ach.'s, and play, and I've been doing lots of reserch & reading of forums and reviews, and I keep getting drawn back to the AC H1! You can't beat the 3 year warranty, custom wheel package, and the brush gard package for the price! I've looked at the Sportsman 500 & 700's, the KQ, the new Bomb, and the Griz, and I've also seen all those bikes in the papers used for sale, but have never seen an AC fore sale used. In the forums, there are alot of negatives about all those bikes but few about the AC's. I know there is a lot of nice machines out there, and they all have thier pro's & con's, it seems that everyone that has an AC, loves e'm! And you can't beat that price for what you're getting (3 year, wheels, BG's, etc.).

So... here's my short question! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

While reading all the pro reviews, they all seem to down rate the AC 650 due to one dislike, even though the other bike would I feel, have bigger issues in thier eyes, they still seem to rate them higher! From my readings the only real issue with the AC 650 is that it dips hard when braking. One tester even stated that they increased the preload up front by two clicks and solved the issue but still rated it lower, even though the others had bigger issues. So... my question to you guys is, have any of you experienced this problem and what have you done/can you do to correct it?

Like I said.... I keep coming back and wanting to join the cat familly, it's just that it's a big purchase for me and I don't want a misfit!

Any input from you guys would be greatly helpful!

Old 09-15-2005, 05:34 PM
Pro Rider

I own a 05 650 V-2 which is the exact same chassis as the 650 H1 and I've never noticed a problem with the front end dropping so much that it would be a problem. I would suggest that you take a test ride on the H1,500, or a 650 V-2 to see if you think that is a problem. They all have the same chassis so you will get a good feel how a 650 H1 will handle. Arctic Cats have the longest suspension travel so I'm sure they are going to dip a little when you are braking hard at high speeds. But remember, most of the riders that test these ATV's do most of their riding on sport bikes so what they have to say about Utility Quads is high speed handling problems. I did not buy the best all around utility quad on the market for it's high speed handling, I bought it for the most ground clearence, longest suspension travel, largest fuel tank, highest rack rating, best rack accessories, it's plush ride and dependibility. I have owned 3 Cat quads now and I have been very happy with the dependability. My family has a total of 14 Arctic Cat quads and they are all happy with their Cats.

Old 09-15-2005, 06:33 PM
Trailblazer

That's the great news I keep hearing, that AC owners love them, they love them so much many don't get rid of them, at least around here! Thats one of the reasons I think I'd be happy with one!

One other question I have is in one of the reviews I have read stated that the V Twin 650 had a slightly different frame than the H1 650 due to the bigger engine and that the H1 didn't push in corners like the V twin did due to the different frame. Have you heared any thing about this?

And you are RIGHT! I may take it up to speed here and there, but I'm not going to ride it like I do my sport quads, thats death waiting to happen, at least the way I seem to push the limits! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Thanks for your reply!

Old 09-15-2005, 11:28 PM
Pro Rider

well i guess now that you mention the dipping it does a lil but i have never seen a problem with it. i am selling my 650 v-twin cause it has the kawi tranny and clutching in it which i don't like but that isn't arctic cats fault other then that i love the machine the only thing i can't decide now is if i am gonna buy the H1 or the prowler. and well with these testers to if you get used to one machine and jump on another it will feel weird at first. the first thing i notice when i jump on a grizz or sportsman or kawi is how low they sit compared to my 650 so you will appear to have the feel of top heavy issues. but once you get the feel for it you will love it. i let my buddy take mine for the weekend last weekend and he put about 80 miles on it and just absolutely fell in love with it i think there was 24 of them 2 honda's my arctic cat and the rest were polaris so he caught a lil flak but he didn't dissapoint me. and i haven't heard anything bout the framework being a lil different the only thing i think would be different would maybe be the motor mounts.

Old 09-16-2005, 12:02 AM
Pro Rider

According to the Arctic Cat website, the H1 LE weighs 20lbs less than the V-2 LE. The H1 also comes with better tires than the V-2 so the tires and extra weight could make the V-2 push a little more in the corners. I have not had the privlage to ride the H1 yet and I can't wait to try one. Also the stance, width and length are exactly the same so the only difference on the frames would be behind the air box where the V-2 would need more room for the rear facing cylinder. Good luck. Cat Specs.

Old 09-16-2005, 12:14 PM
Trailblazer

Well... yesterday I went down to one of the local dealers as well as called a couple others in the area so I could give one a spin to see for my self.... But no one has e'm yet. They told me that AC used up thier supply of motors in the release of the Prowler, and are unsure when they will get the H1 out to the Northwest! One dealer stated that there paper work indicated a production date of mid-Oct. Those FOLKERS! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
I did get to look (not ride) at a Brute force though, and I'll have to say, it does look pretty impressive! I don't know much about them, but they seem well built!

Old 09-16-2005, 01:19 PM
Trailblazer

I have a 500i 4x4 Auto (1,100 miles) and a '06 650 V2 (~200miles). ACs are more "utility" than many other machines and testers tend to favor "sport" over utility. If you want utility, don't be detracted by rankings.

I've noted the "dip" you indicate under braking, but it's only under hard braking. It's not noticed in normal day in, day out use. The outside front will also roll under during "spirited" cornering, but this is more a function of tires than the machine. OEM tires are a compromise and an easy fix. Additionally, and I can't speak to other brands, but ACs get better with more miles. My 500 runs better now (and faster) than it has any time previous. I hope the same for my V2, and assume the same for the H1 you are considering.

There are many good machines out there. One of your considerations should be the dealer, both proximity and his reputation. Talk to people that have bought a machine from the dealer you are interested in. Talk to the techs too. Judge your comfort level. For most people, a larger, new machine is a pretty good chunk of change. That said, be willing to spend more at purchase with a dealer you really feel good about. It's worth it when you have a problem.

I've driven a Polaris 800 EFI on the trail for about 50 miles. IMO it is a very, very comfortable machine. It also handles very well, without be "darty." More so than the AC - and the sound of those dual exhaust at idle almost made me wet myself. ...but, I bought an AC. Why? Because I like the utility (rack weight limit, towing, ground clearance, etc) of the AC and 4x4 system. I want a directly engaged 4x4, not an AWD like the Polaris and some others. It makes climbing over fallen logs and climbing out of shallow, narrow ditches almost a pleasure.

Range. A second friend has a 700 EFI Polaris, and both 800 and 700 owners complain loudly about the small gas tank, and when coupled with those big engines, really limits their range. I think the Polaris tank is about 5.3 gallons (under 6 for sure) and the rear mounted 6.5 of the AC is a BIG plus. It's those little things that swayed me. BYW, although I haven't tested it exactly, my 650 clearly gets better MPG than the 500 - go figure.

All the above said - I still wish AC had EFI. I view that as significant, particularly since AC had a prototype in 2001. It's coming I know - from all mfgrs - but it will be a few years and of course it will cost more. Whatever you decide, you are on the right track - finding out all you can before you buy. Enjoy your ride.

Old 09-16-2005, 07:55 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!

IF you are looking for a work ATV, you can't go wrong with the H1. It is great for things you would use it for on a hobby farm. The only thing I wish it had was EFI, but the auto choke works pretty good too. Only hard thing is trying to get a hold of one, they are not easy to find yet. Good luck!

Old 09-17-2005, 09:22 AM
Pro Rider

I've had mine for 2 years and wouldn't think of trading it. The suspension is the best part of the AC. Nobody has the ground clearance, and nobody can keep all 4 wheels planted on the ground in gnarly terrain like the AC. I keep my shocks on the softest setting all around, but if you didn't like the nose-dive, just tighten the preload all the way up. It makes a big difference.

The AC suspension is set up like a rock crawling Jeep. I like to crawl in the rocks, and that is where this suspension rises above all others. I know because I ride with them. I'm a completely stock machine, and I walk away from other makes, even with huge modifications, when we go through the rock gardens.

As for the other areas, I keep reading that the Polaris 800 has more power, but I have both and it is a dead heat up to 50 mph.

Hey, AC also now offers a sway bar for the rear suspension if you want to improve high speed handling, but what the he** do you buy a utility 4x4 for, anyway? If that were a primary concern, I'd be on a Rincon, Prairie, or a sport bike.

One other thing: If you like long rides, none of them has the range of that AC. It not only has more fuel capacity, it goes further on a gallon than the other big bores. I know that from experience, too. I always carry extra fuel, but I always wind up putting it in someone else's machine.

Just my 2 cents. I think it is still the best machine on the market. Love that Kawi V-2 sound, too.

Old 09-17-2005, 02:28 PM
Trailblazer

DanW---
Do you have any mods on your 650 V2? Specifically, CDI and/or clutch kit? And, has your 650 loosened up as you've accumulated miles, running better (and faster)? Both my AC 300 4x2 (sold) and my 500i got so much better they were like two different machines when comparing new to one with miles. I'm hoping the 650 does the same. Thanks.

Quick Reply: AC 650 Pro reviews