Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Moose Hunt Pics Now Work!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2000, 12:12 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry Guys I did have it under private. Forgive me this is my first time using this. They are under for everyone now hope you enjoy them.
http://photos.yahoo.com/alaskanmoose2000

Old 10-24-2000, 01:19 PM
Pro Rider

Irichard,

Looks like you had a great hunt! I love the idea of hauling an entire hunting camp into the mountains on ATVs (even a trailerable toilet!!). That hunt reminds me of the stories my Dad tells of hauling in and setting up Elk camp way up in the rockies out of Bowden, Alberta (near Calgary). Only difference is they used horses instead of ATVs. Personally, I prefer ATVs, horses are too moody & require too many provisions. All ATVs usually need is a little gas. Anyways, thanks for sharing the pics, Enjoy the Moose steaks.

Lance

Old 10-24-2000, 03:17 PM
Pro Rider

Irichard:
Hey, now were talking, great pics man! Looks like you guys did pretty well up there. That trailerable toilet is great! Man, that's some beautiful country up there, you guys are lucky to have it. Man, I would love to ride up in that area, looks just awesome. So what is your choice of rifle/caliber for those big boys? Also, what type of range are you shooting at? Those are some pretty large animals, probably pretty tough as well, I would imagine they require something with some serious knock down power.

Anyway, great pics, glad to see them!

Mike

Old 10-24-2000, 03:34 PM
Pro Rider

I shoot a 338 Winchester mag., that seems to be a pretty popular rifle up here. Both of those Bulls where shot at about 90 yards. I have seen a lot longer shots having to be made though. Both Bulls where the same body size and we weighed one of them quartered 800lbs of meat. Really good eating also, makes the best chiily I have ever eaten.
Also nossler partitions seem to work better with these big boned animals. Factory Hollow points break up to much when you hit these big bones.
Later

Old 10-26-2000, 05:43 PM
Trailblazer

IRichard:
Great picts! You said that the .338 is a very popular load for the moose, run into anyone shooting a .300 Weatherby or the relatively new .30-378? Any idea how good these shells would be with such a large animal. I know that they work extremely well on elk.

Old 10-26-2000, 06:01 PM
Pro Rider

Well the 300 Weatherby is a really good rifle, but it is the minimum that you would probably want to shoot at an animal that size. Not saying that anything else wouldn't be able to drop one. I've killed one with a 7 mag before, but the chances of the animal getting away from you is more likely.
Another reason for wanting the bigger caliper rifle up here is the constant threat of Brown bear or Grizzly, thats where you want the extra insurance just in case of an encounter that you cannot get out of. I havn't heard anything about the newer rifle you've mentioned, it must be fairly new? If I where living in the lower 48 and had to pick one rifle for all my hunting it would probably be the 300 Weatherby. Excellent rifle!!

Old 10-28-2000, 08:16 AM
Weekend Warrior

Great pictures. I got to go Caribou hunting on three wheelers about 15 years ago, and these pictures brought back fond memories. Thanks for the flashback.

Tb

Old 11-02-2000, 01:03 AM
Pro Rider
Old 11-06-2000, 04:50 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for posting the pics, Irichard.
Here in the Yukon we do the same type of hunts. With a tub trailer behind every ATV you can pack a very comfortable camp in through some really nasty terrain. Its nice to have the wall tent with the wood stove and a few luxuries when the temperatury is below freezing. Its also nice to be able to pack the meat out in a trailer instead of on your back!
I shoot a 30-06 for everything here, moose, sheep or caribou. I reload with good quality bullets and it does fine. Some of my buddies shoot moose with a 270, but in my opinion that is too light. Still I've seen some big moose killed very effectively with these with good shot placement. There's just less margin for error, and losing a wounded animal is just not an option in my books.