Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

worst stuck

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2000, 10:28 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how bad have you been boged down I have been boged down before up to my fenders and my friends on 2 honda 300 could not budge me a 95 ford f150 4/4 had to hook to me that was about the worst stuck I ever had though the worst stucks are when you are by your self aon playing in a mud hole and you tell your self you are not going to get muddy in new clothes and sure enough you get stuck that sucks I know from alot of experience
so how bad have you atv riders been boged down also 2/4 300 will not go good when a drive axle brakes

Old 10-24-2000, 10:39 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not use a punctuation mark or two?

Even a capital letter once in a while, like at the beginning of a sentence?

Honestly, writing without capitalization or punctuation is hard to read.

You'll show some consideration to your readers if you at least try to write clearly and plainly. Don't worry about making mistakes; we all do!

Best wishes,

Tree Farmer

Old 10-25-2000, 12:29 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Well that was a hell of a "worst stuck" response. And the first reply of the topic too.

As for me, my worst was framed out in the middle of a channel of a half dried up lake. 50 degrees in water up to my waist at the front. Darkness closing in on me too. I won't go into detail, but it was a crap experience that I don't want to re-live. It seems that the crap response that I got on that one was that I needed a ****** block. Thats great, but not when there is nothing to attach it to.

Old 10-25-2000, 01:38 AM
Pro Rider

Oh, Andy, please DO go into detail!

As I recall, you were crossing something like a drained stream or pool bed, with a bottomless leaf-mold surface, and you got stuck, and there wasn't any place to tie off your winch cable, but by ingenuity, determination, skill and perseverance, you extricated yourself by snagging some rocks or something with your winch cable hook.

As to response, I recall someone offered you advice on something to use as a "deadman," an anchor for the muck, if you found yourself again in a situation when you had no convenient pull point available. A ****** block may have been suggested, since you may have mentioned a difficult pull (a ****** block doubles extraction force).

I further recall you were highly offended at the suggestions, stating you had little regard for a winch anyway, only accepting a winch because it was part of a promotion when you bought your quad.

Is my memory faulty? Might be, because in more recent posts I've noticed you commenting more authoritatively and positively on the subject of winches (if I'm not mistaken).

Again, don't spare us the details of your worst stuck experience.

Tree Farmer

Old 10-25-2000, 03:09 AM
Pro Rider

Hey Tree Farmer, funny you mention that "dead man". I just borrowed Andy's idea, and suggested it be used under Boners "Who Wants What" topic. Do you know if they already make a "dead man", or some form of "land anchor"? I've seen something called a Pull Pal, for full sized pickups and such, that works quite well in sand, though I've never seen one for atv use. Do they make such a thing? Just curious, since you mentioned it here. I've been in a few sticky situations, where there wasn't a tree, stump, rock, log or anything within a couple hundred yards, so even my ****** block wouldn't have done any good. A type of dead man, or land anchor would be a great advantage to have, and usefull tool to carry on a quad as well.

Thanks for any info,

Mike

Old 10-25-2000, 08:00 AM
Pro Rider

Cowboy, the most formidable portable deadman I've seen was carried by a Foreman 450 rider in his hard case, a steel auger. The screw-like bit seemed about 4" in diameter, maybe larger, on a steel shaft at least 3' long with a tee handle. We didn't have to use the device on our trip; however, I was glad he was along; looked like this anchor would to the job. I never asked what the "real" purpose of the auger might be; perhaps as a temporary anchor point for guy wires, or some kind of a hole digger.

I'm told "Pull Pall" makes a small model, small relative to the 4X4 truck number, that is. One of these ought to work well with a quad, if you can afford the space and carry the weight involved.

There are the desperation solutions, bury a tire and rim; bury a log; bury a stone. I've carried LONG (about 18") galvanized steel tent pegs, set up in a line about a foot apart and lashed to each other. I believe this technique can be improved with a length of chain, with links big enough to fit around the tent pegs, to have a setup with an even pull on each peg, effectively adding each peg's resistance to the rig. Gonna try that out. Plastic tent pegs may work o.k. in this application, also.

I hope these possible solutions to the problem of finding yourself stuck without a cooperative tree or post nearby do not offend you, cowboy! Please keep us informed if you find something that works!

Tree Farmer

Old 10-25-2000, 03:34 PM
Pro Rider

Tree Farmer:
I really like the idea of the stakes in the gound, linked by cable or chain. That could possibly be much lighter than a large auger, and possibly more usefull as well. Some of the terrain I ride in would not permit an auger to work. The ground is just too hard, or rocky, and nothing short of a tractor would be able to put that in the ground. It is a good idea though, and if I lived in a different area, might very well be of use.

I think your idea about the pegs would work out great. They would also take up less room in my box, and could be a quick install type unit, of which could be broken down if I needed the chain for something by itself, such as dragging logs. Then, put back together to be used in a sticky situation. Also, by running the winch cable out far enough, and attaching to the length of chain, with various pegs stuck in the ground, should prove more than enough to extract the 'Cat from most situations. I'll have to look into that a little closer. Let me know how it works if you've done it already, or if not, get on it! Head out there and get stuck so you can let us know how it works!!! Heh heh heh.

Thanks for the thoughts!

Mike

Old 10-25-2000, 05:10 PM
Pro Rider

I have a few times I got stuck so I'll share them with you all....

I have been stuck in a creek up over my seat in water, my dad had to pull me out with his '98 Chev. 1500 4x4 wich by the way didn't take much power to pull out.
Another time was when my friend had his little honda 125, we were in my field after it had rained for about 3 days straight, we went in it and we found out it was really thick and had about a foot of mud under our tires...it took us almost 2 hours to get out.
And one time I was in a mud trail and the same friend had just got a '99 Big Bear 2wd, I went first and got mine stuck up to the fenders with mud, so he tried to pull me out with the winch he had but it ended up pulling him towards me, so he went around to the front and pulled from there and finally got me out with the help from the winch and my muscles. haha!

Old 10-25-2000, 08:14 PM
Trailblazer

Hey Tree Farmer, I dont try to make it hard to read. It is just I really suck at typing. So you just have to bare with me for a littie while untill I get better.

Old 10-25-2000, 11:00 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Yes, I recall the entire topic. The dead man thing was a good point of advice, but the topic soon deteriorated into ****** block jibberish.

Much like this may, so this will be my last in this particular topic.

Tell me this. Why start deteriorating a new topic by making a crack about punctuation first thing off the bat? That is my point. I really don't see why you did that. At least let a few people post on the original topic before you go and change the subject.

Opinions are like, well you know, everyone has one. Of course its better if the opinion is topic oriented.

Quick Reply: worst stuck