Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Synthetic or non-Synthetic from the factory?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 03:28 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Synthetic or non-Synthetic from the factory?

This '06 H1 rocks!!!

Does anyone know if Artic Cat sends their bikes to the dealers with Synthetic or non-Synthetic oil?

I know this is a very controversial topic, but I've been doing the break-in period the RIDE IT HARD! way, and I have to say, this bike is coming alive!!!! I never thought I would be able to pull the front-end up into a wheelie from a dead stop on a 700+ lb quad... til now!

15 hard miles so far, and went to change the oil and noticed that the oil change kit I got with the bike was synthetic, which got me wondering if it was sent from the factory with synthetic oil in it! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] So I called around to a few dealers and asked the Artic Cat techs, with every one of them giving me a different answer! I was told; "they send them to us with Synthetic oil because all new 4 strokes out there are made to run on only synthetic oils now!", or "They send them with miniral oil for the break-in", or "They use regular 4 stroke oil becuase regular oil picks up all the metal shavings left in the motor during fabraction/assembly!" or I'm not sure! Your the first customer that has ever asked!"

So does anyone know for sure?

Thanks in advance!

Old 09-30-2005, 03:47 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

No manufacture puts synthetic oil in their engines from the factory. Synthetic is so slick that the engine may never break in properly. First off you are not suppose to do the first oil change until 100 miles and if you do, you can't use synthetic. AC has both oils available. The kits have synthetic only. BTW, miles driven really has nothing to do with break in, it's engine hours that count and the 100 miles makes sure there are enough hours to at least start the break in process. Marine engines use 20 hourse for the first engine service and with hourmeters on the new machines I don't understand why they haven't go to and engine hour service frame work. The owners manual tells you with standard oil to change at 10 miles and every 300 after that. With the synthetic you get to double the 300 to 600 miles. Oh yeah, I would find another dealer if I were you, as this one is an out and out liar. You should have gone to Industrial Supply in Chehalis as the mechanic there, Brian, would never tell you any BS like that. He's the one that advised me to switch to synthetic and told me when I picked up the machine.

Old 09-30-2005, 04:35 PM
Trailblazer

Bear... Thats the problem! it wasn't just one dealer it was several! ( I don't take just one persons advise and go with it! thats why I write) I did call and talked to Brian and he hit the nail dead on the head! becuase I just got off the phone with AC Corp. and they stated they ship all their machines with regular oils in them and don't recomend using synthetics until it's been well broken-in! So hats off to Brian, I just wish I lived closer!

Also.... what are your thoughts on how many hours to when to consider it broken-in?

Old 09-30-2005, 06:35 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I changed the oil for regular oil at 100 mile and again at 400 miles, when I went to synthetic. Brain told me that I could switch at 100, but I had been told that the 400s needed at least 300 miles to get broken in. I have over a 1100 mile on mine and changed the synthetic at 1000 miles. I also have switched to synthetic in our 2001 250 and I think it starts easier and has more power now. As to hours for your break in, since the 650 H1 is a new engine design, nobody really knows what to do. I would follow AC's recommendations. They have more hours on these engines than anyone else.