Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

55 watt Pilot driving lights

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2000, 12:23 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wanted to let you guys know, that I installed a set of these lights yesterday and man are these little suckers bright. They are only 2" in diameter, so I was suprised at thier performance.

I mounted them on the grill between the stock headlights using the holes already there. I did have to open up one hole because it didn't line up with the holes in the grill.

With these lights on, you can't tell wether the stock lights are on or not.
I paid $25 for them at CT Farm & Country and I also purchased an all weather switch ($4) since the one that comes with them does not like to get wet. I mounted the switch on the left side panel below the fuel tank. Exactly where the 12v plug is on the right side, except on the left side.
The mounting part of the switch is round, so all I had to do was drill a 7/16" hole. They come wired with an inline 15amp fuse just like the Cats' use.

Anyway, for $30. and an hour of my time, I am very happy with these little lights.
If anybody else rides at night, I highly recommend getting a set of these.

Ron

Old 10-26-2000, 01:43 PM
Pro Rider

They have a website? Do you have pictures? I'd like to see these lights. I'm thinking of wiring a couple of cheap lights into my "low power" lights then wiring High Lifter Dual Daylight kit into the the "high power" lights.

Old 10-26-2000, 07:03 PM
Range Rover

Boner; This is all I could find for you so you could see them. Go to http://www.accessconnect.com/pilot.htm
on the second page at the top. The PL-9000 are the lights but I didn't pay that much for them. Try WalMart or somehing like that.

Secondly, I strongly advise that you do not use the hi/low switch on the AC to run additional lights. I think the amperage draw from extra lights would cause the switch/wiring to melt, not to mention you would be blowing fuses.

Hope this helps...

Ron

Old 10-26-2000, 08:02 PM
Trailblazer

Cabela's has a light kit with wiring and handlebar mounts fo about $60. You can see it at

http://www.cabelas.com/texis/scripts...8AhAFAM/XA944S

If the link doesn't copy correctly goto Cabelas.com then Auto/ATV then ATV Accesories and ATV Accesories again to find the lights.

They are 55 watt too. I want to mount lights on the handlebars so they turn as I do. I'll bet I can find some mounts near the bicycles at Walmart, the lights in the automotive dept. and stop by Radio Shack for the switch and put it together for half of what Caberla's is asking.

Thanks for the idea.

Old 10-26-2000, 09:24 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I had the 35 watt Pilot driving lights mounted on mine. The ones that are about as big as your fist. I thought they sucked personally. Not as bright as the stock headlights. They did look good though. I found out that they are not even close to being waterproof though. Filled them full of mud, and after taking them apart and cleaning them, I took them off, and used one for a backup light. The other I mounted on my cousin's 454 as a backup light. The problem that I had with them, was that they just weren't bright enough. I did burn out a bulb on the one that I gave to my cousin, and replaced it with a 55watt bulb. Brighter by a mile, but still not as bright as the stock headlights. It also go real hot real quick.

Old 10-27-2000, 12:38 AM
Weekend Warrior

Badcat:

You can buy a 30 amp automotive relay from
Radioshack for $5.99. Wire it into your factory
lights without fear of burning up any wires. Two
55 watt lights will draw 9 to 10 amps, but the
coil of the relay will draw less than 1/2 amp.

Old 10-27-2000, 01:22 AM
Pro Rider

So I realy can wire 55 watt lights into my factory wiring harness???

Old 10-27-2000, 07:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

No, you can not add more lights onto the existing wire that is already there. The wire running to your factory lights is only big enough to support those lights and current draw. If you add more lights to the existing wire, you will blow fuses and possibly cause a fire! I will email you with a schematic on how to wire more lights on your AC and still use the existing switches (hi/lo)

Old 10-27-2000, 09:43 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks A BUNCH.

Old 10-27-2000, 09:48 PM
Range Rover

Gee Andy, you really know how to bust a guys bubble! Just kidding! Your stock lights are really that bright? My stock headlights aren't bright at all. I wonder if yours are different than mine?

Hey Arctic, good idea with the relay.

Ron

Quick Reply: 55 watt Pilot driving lights