Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Differential Locker: Availability?????

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2000, 09:32 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Once again, I'm looking for a new bike... I love the Sp 500 H.O. BUT, even as a proud Polaris owner, I have some reservations about their fit and finish quality.
I've kecked the tires on every bike under the sun, and the A/C 500 5 speed is the only other bike that comes close.... STILL NO IRS, but its close.
The ONE thing that still holds me back is the idea of 3x4... I dont care if its hard to steer, I don't care if I can take it in or out of 4x4... but, I WANT TRUE 4X4... I do NOT want to have to "pump" the front brake to fool the diff into powering all 4... I WANT ALL 4..
So, does anybody make a locker for the 2001 A/C 500 5 speed?????
Thanks for all CONSTRUCTIVE input..

Old 10-28-2000, 11:36 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Assuming no commercial locker is available, over-the-counter:

A shade-tree mechanic with an arc-welder can weld your spider gears, creating your own custom "Lincoln Locker" (named for the welding machine).

Lest you dismiss this suggestion as other than "constructive," the trick's been used by off-roaders, dirt-trackers, and drag racers for a long time.

Tree Farmer

P.S. Unavoidable, but maybe acceptable, additional stress visits your drivetrain with ANY locker--the attendant ground slip exacts some price, even if only in marginally increased tire wear.

T.F.

Old 10-28-2000, 02:00 PM
Pro Rider

I wanted a locker for mine also. What I found is that the only maker of lockers for ATV's was Highlifter. You can go to their web site (highlifter.com) and look to see if they make one for an AC. I was thinking of welding my spider gears also, but changed my mind. I was not concerned with hard steering either, I just wanted both front wheels to work. I have since changed my mind, due to breaking cv's. That AC 500 is a torquey machine, and if you lock it up, either by welding the dif, or putting a locker in it, you may start to have problems with breaking cv's. I have talked to an ATV mechanic, and I think I'm going to take a hydrolic clutch unit fron a street bike and mount it on my Griz. Since I have a brake lever on the left side of my handle bar already for the rear brake(that I never use). I'm going to remove that, replace it with the hydrolic clutch unit from a street bike, separate the front brake lines, and hook the left lever to the left front brake, and the right lever to the right front brake. Then I can leave the limited slip dif in there for better steering, and cv life. If I need the one front wheel to stop spinning I will just pull on that brake lever, and presto, I have traction to the other side! Having driven a few tractors as well as having gone out riding with guys in baja bugs, I know this will work!
The last review I read on the AC 500 stated that it has a progressive locking front differential. Check out the ATV Connection review of the AC 500. Plus one of the quad Mags did a shoot out between the Traxter and the AC 500, I don't remember which one I read that in. But they also stated that it had a locking front dif. So you may not even need to mess with all this crap! Later

Rick

Old 10-28-2000, 05:42 PM
Pro Rider

High Lifter doesn't make lockers, they buy them from one of the 2 (only 2 makers that I know about) ATV locker companies and sell them as a dealer for this company.

Thats a good idea about the brakes. I've thought of doing it also, but I don't think I could get used of it at high speeds cause I would end up using only my left front brake and crashing at a high speed.

The reviews and shoot outs you mentioned were both doen my ATVConection.com.

Old 10-28-2000, 05:46 PM
Pro Rider

If you go to ATVMasters.com and talk to Niteowl either threw e-mails of threw the forums I'm sure he will describe how to do the locker on the Arctic Cat 500 front differentials. There was a company working on making a locker for Arctic Cat/suzuki 500 front ends but I have BEEN e-mailing and asking them how the project has been coming along but they have NEVER e-mailed me back.

Old 10-28-2000, 07:42 PM
Range Rover

Unless I'm mistaken, the 2001 Arctic Cats feature "True" 4WD. If you've read the shootout article between the 2001 AC and the Traxter XT on this page, it talks about how the Cats differential will spin one tire for a second or two and then it will "Lock" and both front tires will pull. Also in the brochure for the 2001 AC's, on page 11 it talks briefly about "True 4WD".

Old 10-28-2000, 11:02 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

True that there are some people that believe in this myth, but I am not one of them. I don't think they've changed a thing personally.

Old 10-28-2000, 11:46 PM
Pro Rider

I'm convinced that the 2001 has a better front differential than the 99 model which I have, but untill I personally ride a 2001 model I will just say that "ATVing.com said the 2001 has true 4wd" if I ever test/buy the 2001 I will PROMISS to give a true statement about the front differential.

Old 10-29-2000, 04:07 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I would have to ride it to believe it. I think if there were any improvement, then you would be hearing a lot more about it. No major magazines ever said anything about an improved differential. Arctic Cat itself never really said anything about a new type differential. They have always made that claim about true 4wd. Most manufacturers do, though their definition of that can be manipulated. I can spin out with Claws if I want to bad enough. Just find the right spot, and watch the 3 wheels spin.

Still so many people say that they never have this happen. I think its basically because they don't want to admit that their brand of quad has a lesser 4wd system than some other brand. I don't care brand for brand. I'd rather speak the truth. People can get a lot more out of that, than just horse crap. Mine spins out. I have a feeling that the 2001 models do as well.

Old 10-29-2000, 04:17 AM
Range Rover

Andy
You're right the 2001 500 auto does 3x4 wheel spin but only for a very short time and then the 4th wheel kicks in. Althought some time (very few) I have even had the 4th wheel take a long time (several seconds) before it does kick in.
Just my 2cents worth.

shmoky

Quick Reply: Differential Locker: Availability?????