Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

brake mod

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2005, 12:19 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake mod

this is on a 2004 A/C 500 auto...has anyone ever tried to make a brake onto the drive shaftto the rear diff. my thought is to use the aux. brake caliper from the rear wheel to stop a rotor mounted to the drive shaft like a military/monster truck axle. anyone ever try this????

Old 11-11-2005, 03:20 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default brake mod

Why? The disc on the rear axle has a seperate caliper for the foot brake and does the same thing already.

Old 11-12-2005, 11:55 PM
Trailblazer
Default brake mod

using the rear brake alone is not enough to stop the bike on a down hill slope. the hand brake uses calipers on both front and rear not the best on down hill, the rear wheel has two calipers-hand/foot brakes. if you want to maintain best possible steering, rear brake needs more holding power to stop the rear tires all together. the ring and pinion gear ratio gives more leverage to the drive shaft. so stoping the driveshaft is easier than stoping the axel. i want to use the caliper from the rear foot brake to stop the drive shaft.

Old 11-13-2005, 04:09 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default brake mod

Originally posted by: trailcrawler
using the rear brake alone is not enough to stop the bike on a down hill slope. the hand brake uses calipers on both front and rear not the best on down hill, the rear wheel has two calipers-hand/foot brakes. if you want to maintain best possible steering, rear brake needs more holding power to stop the rear tires all together. the ring and pinion gear ratio gives more leverage to the drive shaft. so stoping the driveshaft is easier than stoping the axel. i want to use the caliper from the rear foot brake to stop the drive shaft.

My foot brake will lock up the rear axles. If that isn't enough braking for you I don't know what is. Of course I brunished in the foot brake just like I did the hand brake and that foot brake works very well. The drive shaft is connected thru gears to the axle, stop one, stop both. An easier wau to go is get a big hand master cylinder set up for the right handle bare and tie that in the the foot brake caliper. Be cheaper on top of been easier. You won't be using the throttle when you use that brake so that's not an issue. Have you tried burnishing your foot brake? Worked for me.

Old 11-13-2005, 10:09 PM
Trailblazer
Default brake mod

have tried that ,...even cleaned the pads with 150 grit sand paper on a level surface to get new material out to the disc. the back brake did not work when i got the machine, master cylinder was bad and i replaced it new, removed the caliper-disassembled it and cleaned it with aluminium cleaner i have for air cond. coils so the pistons would move freely. the brake still is not enough to stop the machine it only slows it down. i have run at 35-40 mph and stomp the brake several times and held it down. still same result,, not that good of brake....and a wondering mind thought of an idea to keep busy hands out of trouble[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-13-2005, 10:12 PM
Trailblazer
Default brake mod

change subject..... have you lightened the weights or put heavyer springs on your centrifigul clutch???? did this on yam wolvy and was pleased with results, wondering if it was worth it on a auto(my first)???

Old 11-14-2005, 03:24 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default brake mod

Don't own and auto and haven't ever done so. Can't comment other than so people claim good results.

Old 11-14-2005, 10:39 AM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!
Default brake mod

bombardier does that with there bikes. the disc brake is monted to the drive shaft instead of the out side of the axles by the wheel.

Old 11-14-2005, 02:18 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default brake mod

The brake on the drive shaft is not new. There were brakes on driveshaft very early on in the vehicle idnustry as the way they stayed cleaner and drier, a real problem back then. The military used then with a drum set up on the deuce and a half during WWII. As to you foot brake I checked and the '04s and '05s have a completely different system, the master cylinder and caliper are different. Maybe an upgrade is in order.

Old 11-15-2005, 12:59 AM
Trailblazer
Default brake mod

looked at microfich of brakes on 04-05 models, 05 looks like the same master cylinder as my yam. wolverine has. wonder if a person could retro one off a different brand machine as long as bolt holes line up, push rod same length, brake hose banjo fitting same size, find place to mount resivoir, (hey look it fits)[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] wonder if new style master cylinder has more pressure to caliper???? wish i had known this problem before spending $160.00 (i think)on replacement master?!?!?!?!