Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

2-riders

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 09:08 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2-riders

hey guys can anyone help me out with a question..my buddy is looking at a TRV, or he is also looking at a regular 500 auto that he wants to add one of the new molded plastic storage compartments with a padded seat that bolts directly onto the back rack. Does each state have their own laws reguarding 2 riders?

Old 11-16-2005, 09:41 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default 2-riders

Originally posted by: coonpelt
hey guys can anyone help me out with a question..my buddy is looking at a TRV, or he is also looking at a regular 500 auto that he wants to add one of the new molded plastic storage compartments with a padded seat that bolts directly onto the back rack. Does each state have their own laws reguarding 2 riders?

Allot of state have laws against it. Then again even if they don't and the manufacture puts a sign on it saying "No Passengers" probably means there would be something they could write you for. But most cops don't really care unless you do something extra stupid and get your passenger hurt. BTW, the wife and I rode 2 up for about a year without a problem. We had the seat and fender protector bars with foot rests. Made things better for everyone. Then again I don't really need to to fast anymore so we never even came close to having trouble.

Old 11-16-2005, 10:07 PM
Pro Rider
Default 2-riders

i have a seat for the back of my grizz. the dealers call them "resting seats". they say that it is used wen the quad is off and the rider wants a rest then they sit on that seat...... but every1 knows that u use it so u can have a passenger. they just call it a resting seat because ur not allowed to have 2 people on the quad thats all. and ussually u wont get in trouble for it unless u hurt the passenger. ive had np's with it.

Old 11-16-2005, 11:18 PM
Pro Rider
Default 2-riders

Minnesota just changed the ATV regulations to allow a passenger on a single rider quad. Youth are not allowed to carry passengers though (under 18). If you and the PAX are over 18 or the PAX is your child with a helmet on - then its legal. I don't know about safe.

I don't agree with 2-up riding on a single rider quad. The biggest issues are driver freedom of movement to balance the quad and also the rearward CG that increases the risk to going over backwards. This can be a result of a high or rearward CG and to steep of incline or to much power - or both. Some machines have a large seat and the passenger can sit ahead (barely) of the rear axle - which helps but does not solve most of the other problems of 2up riding .

I have strong reservations about a single rider quad used for 2up riding when friends ask my opinion. I received near fatal injuries when the wife and I went over backwards on our Polaris 500 - with my wife breaking her arm. So I know to which I am speaking.

Several issues here-

One - with two people on a single rider quad (SRQ) egress from the machine if it tips over or goes over backward is much more difficult. One person almost has to wait for the other to move out of the way. Its worse with those add-on storage box/rear seats. The PAX is trapped. With machines 4 times heavier than the operator there is little time to exit so someone is likely to get the machine on top of them. You will be on the horns of dilemma between installing a back rest or box vs. keeping a rear exit clear for quick egress.

Two - if the pax is not moving forward on a steep incline - but is instead resting comfortably against the back rest (common) - there is little the driver can do to counteract that short wheel base without sitting on the front rack. Rearward weight distribution is critical with short wheel based SRQ's. The additional wheel base of the factory designed two rider quads makes a HUGE difference and are much safer.

Three - the pax has to have strong and secure hand grips and foot rests that let them have a good 3 inches of clearance from the seat to the inseam when standing on the foot rests. The pax can either add to the balance effort or substantially take away from it. It isn’t much help if the pax is limited only to the hand grips. You cant hang on and lean all that much without good leg support. Also - those contoured rear boxes do nothing but trap the pax in place and almost entirely prevents the pax from doing any leaning.

Four - Stability. You may have to upgrade the springs to stop the machine from rolling to the outside of turns. The stock springs on a SRQ are not designed for two riders with a high CG. Rolling to the side and/or being thrown from the machine represent 40% of ATV accidents. And a pax has a much higher CG then cargo strapped to the rack. Most of our body weight is above the seat - way above. So being under max weight doesn’t always solve the problem.

Most State laws will not recognize a non-factory designed two rider ATV. You can modify it all you want - but it doesn't state "carry no more than ONE passenger" you may be in trouble. And trouble can come in the form of a ticket that gets reported to auto insurance in some states. It could be a very costly error in judgment.

There were some comments about being stuck with a 2 rider quad if the girlfriend gives it up or the wife decides to not play in the mud any longer. (happens) . In my garage sits 4 quads. On any given day I will choose the 2 rider quad over the others unless there is a more aggressive high speed ride. I like the longer wheel base, the smoother ride and low effort steering of the TRV. And the 500 TRV has about enough power to climb a tree. See my pics herein. This year I was able to take both the SRQ Polaris 500 HO hunting 3 times and the last time I took the TRV. I will never take the Polaris back there. The difference in stability, steering effort and power/gearing is significant and obvious. The TRV rocks. When transporting other men from stands or recovering deer etc the TRV was soooo much better then being cramped up on a SRQ. I was riding with a guy on his older 500 cat – It was a circus with he holding the front rack while I steered from behind him so we could make it up a hill and keep all front tires on the ground. Absolutely ridiculous. (9 point buck eh..) I've made several mods to the rear TRV rackage to carry custom MRP equipment - The latest is my crossbow carrier. It's sweet.

My official opinion is to use a quad designed for two riders. Your wife, girlfriend or other pax deserve the safety considerations and other design enhancements built into a factory 2up quad. You can compromise using a SRQ - but it is a compromise to safety for both driver and passenger.

We bought a 2nd TRV for friends and family to ride. Its the right way to carry a PAX and lesser experienced people don't have to struggle with a machine being used outside of its designed function.

Good luck in making the best choice.

Old 11-16-2005, 11:52 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default 2-riders

Originally posted by: WhoDatInDaMud
Minnesota just changed the ATV regulations to allow a passenger on a single rider quad. Youth are not allowed to carry passengers though (under 18). If you and the PAX are over 18 or the PAX is your child with a helmet on - then its legal. I don't know about safe.

I don't agree with 2-up riding on a single rider quad. The biggest issues are driver freedom of movement to balance the quad and also the rearward CG that increases the risk to going over backwards. This can be a result of a high or rearward CG and to steep of incline or to much power - or both. Some machines have a large seat and the passenger can sit ahead (barely) of the rear axle - which helps but does not solve most of the other problems of 2up riding .

I have strong reservations about a single rider quad used for 2up riding when friends ask my opinion. I received near fatal injuries when the wife and I went over backwards on our Polaris 500 - with my wife breaking her arm. So I know to which I am speaking.

Several issues here-

One - with two people on a single rider quad (SRQ) egress from the machine if it tips over or goes over backward is much more difficult. One person almost has to wait for the other to move out of the way. Its worse with those add-on storage box/rear seats. The PAX is trapped. With machines 4 times heavier than the operator there is little time to exit so someone is likely to get the machine on top of them. You will be on the horns of dilemma between installing a back rest or box vs. keeping a rear exit clear for quick egress.

Two - if the pax is not moving forward on a steep incline - but is instead resting comfortably against the back rest (common) - there is little the driver can do to counteract that short wheel base without sitting on the front rack. Rearward weight distribution is critical with short wheel based SRQ's. The additional wheel base of the factory designed two rider quads makes a HUGE difference and are much safer.

Three - the pax has to have strong and secure hand grips and foot rests that let them have a good 3 inches of clearance from the seat to the inseam when standing on the foot rests. The pax can either add to the balance effort or substantially take away from it. It isn’t much help if the pax is limited only to the hand grips. You cant hang on and lean all that much without good leg support. Also - those contoured rear boxes do nothing but trap the pax in place and almost entirely prevents the pax from doing any leaning.

Four - Stability. You may have to upgrade the springs to stop the machine from rolling to the outside of turns. The stock springs on a SRQ are not designed for two riders with a high CG. Rolling to the side and/or being thrown from the machine represent 40% of ATV accidents. And a pax has a much higher CG then cargo strapped to the rack. Most of our body weight is above the seat - way above. So being under max weight doesn’t always solve the problem.

Most State laws will not recognize a non-factory designed two rider ATV. You can modify it all you want - but it doesn't state "carry no more than ONE passenger" you may be in trouble. And trouble can come in the form of a ticket that gets reported to auto insurance in some states. It could be a very costly error in judgment.

There were some comments about being stuck with a 2 rider quad if the girlfriend gives it up or the wife decides to not play in the mud any longer. (happens) . In my garage sits 4 quads. On any given day I will choose the 2 rider quad over the others unless there is a more aggressive high speed ride. I like the longer wheel base, the smoother ride and low effort steering of the TRV. And the 500 TRV has about enough power to climb a tree. See my pics herein. This year I was able to take both the SRQ Polaris 500 HO hunting 3 times and the last time I took the TRV. I will never take the Polaris back there. The difference in stability, steering effort and power/gearing is significant and obvious. The TRV rocks. When transporting other men from stands or recovering deer etc the TRV was soooo much better then being cramped up on a SRQ. I was riding with a guy on his older 500 cat – It was a circus with he holding the front rack while I steered from behind him so we could make it up a hill and keep all front tires on the ground. Absolutely ridiculous. (9 point buck eh..) I've made several mods to the rear TRV rackage to carry custom MRP equipment - The latest is my crossbow carrier. It's sweet.

My official opinion is to use a quad designed for two riders. Your wife, girlfriend or other pax deserve the safety considerations and other design enhancements built into a factory 2up quad. You can compromise using a SRQ - but it is a compromise to safety for both driver and passenger.

We bought a 2nd TRV for friends and family to ride. Its the right way to carry a PAX and lesser experienced people don't have to struggle with a machine being used outside of its designed function.

To respond to these concerns;

1. Don't go fast or do side hills or steep inclines with the passenger on board.

2. See #1

3. Fender protectors with foot pegs, adjusted properly to the passenger's leg length and hand grips are a no brainer.

4. See #1

The biggest problem is to realize that you have to take it easy with with 2 up. We did a trip in central Oregon 2 years ago over 5 dys covering several hundred miles of gound, from 3000 to 7000 feet and never once had a problem, why? Because we used our heads and always errored on the side of caution, took no chances. Oh yeah and this was on an already heavily rear weight baised 2001 AC 250. Most accidents on quads happen from riding over the drivers head: too fast, too steep, too sharp a corner, too fast around the corner, too steep a side hill, etc. Two up riding requires slowing down and protecting your passenger from your own stupid errors.

Old 11-17-2005, 12:01 AM
Pro Rider
Default 2-riders

Originally posted by: Bear4570
Originally posted by: WhoDatInDaMud

Several issues here-

To respond to these concerns;

1. Don't go fast or do side hills or steep inclines with the passenger on board.

2. See #1

3. Fender protectors with foot pegs, adjusted properly to the passenger's leg length and hand grips are a no brainer.

4. See #1

The biggest problem is to realize that you have to take it easy with with 2 up. We did a trip in central Oregon 2 years ago over 5 dys covering several hundred miles of gound, from 3000 to 7000 feet and never once had a problem, why? Because we used our heads and always errored on the side of caution, took no chances. Oh yeah and this was on an already heavily rear weight baised 2001 AC 250. Most accidents on quads happen from riding over the drivers head: too fast, too steep, too sharp a corner, too fast around the corner, too steep a side hill, etc. Two up riding requires slowing down and protecting your passenger from your own stupid errors.
exactly.... i think its safe as long as u dont go too fast and do crazy things suck as deciding to climb a steep hill. thats just plain stupid. wen u have a passenger... everything is differant.... ur steering, balance, weight... everything. thats y u gotta play it safe wen it comes to passengers.

Old 11-17-2005, 12:57 AM
Trailblazer
Default 2-riders

Just an opinion/personal preference, but to me, 2-up riding should be done on a quad designed for 2-up riding....a 2-up. Axles are placed differently and therefore balances differently. Riding 2 on a one rider quad is essentially parking someones butt on the rack and at a point on the axles where bad mistakes can happen from easy riding. I believe one tempts folly when equating "rack capacity" with "human capacity". A load of gear is static - a load of passenger is not...

Old 11-17-2005, 01:53 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default 2-riders

Originally posted by: MassMark
Just an opinion/personal preference, but to me, 2-up riding should be done on a quad designed for 2-up riding....a 2-up. Axles are placed differently and therefore balances differently. Riding 2 on a one rider quad is essentially parking someones butt on the rack and at a point on the axles where bad mistakes can happen from easy riding. I believe one tempts folly when equating "rack capacity" with "human capacity". A load of gear is static - a load of passenger is not...

I have to disagree with this your statement. First off the only reason the 2 ups are longer is to make more room for the second seat and not totally lose the rear rack, but you don't have any rack capacity on the rear as the passenger uses the weight carrying capacity. They sure aren't any wider. But weight is weight and my rear rack capacity is 200 lbs and with a seat, foot pegs and hand holds for the second person, they are not moving around but staying put, so the weight only shifts if they want to. Besides once again, if you aren't driving at break neck speed, or up so steep an incline, etc., you will not have problems. You have to ride smarter when you have someone else you are responsibile for with you.

Old 11-17-2005, 10:06 AM
Pro Rider
Default 2-riders

I imagine some of us recall this hot topic last spring. Bear is right on use your head and you will be safe. Exceed the envelope of the machine and it will bite you in the a$$ before you know it.

Shonk

Old 11-17-2005, 11:24 AM
Pro Rider
Default 2-riders

I have a hard time beleiving carrying around someone who is small on the back (under 130lbs) with a seat desinged for it such as back rest hand rails and foot pegs would change the driveabiity of the machine more than any other cargo. The key is to drive slow and safe. no fast turns, steep declines or inclines and you will be fine. the two up are much better at it though because the longer wheel base gives you and passenger more room for comfort. Either machine you can drive fast with two up.