Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

True 4WD Explained

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2000, 11:17 PM
JKB
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I picked this up from the Tech Connection [Greg Hall]. This explains it in simple terms, it is almost twice as good as a clutched limited slip diff, buts falls short of a locked front end.
Cheers Jim

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name: David Roccaforte
Email: dave_roccaforte@asl-tk.com

I'm going to use a front limited-slip differential for the rear drive of a 70-hp, 30-lb./ft. rear-wheel-drive car, approximately 500 lbs. What ATV diff offers the largest amount of torque transfer? Most I've seen are around 30%. Would you recommend a cone or friction setup?

Yes, this is another one of those design competition questions. I would really appreciate your input. Just so you know that I read previous questions, I am going to try and locate the April '98 copy of DIRT WHEELS.

ATV: Arctic Cat Bearcat 454 4x4
Category: Conversion/Project Quads
Date: 30-Aug-99
Ref#: 7035

David,

The all-metal "ratcheting cone" as used in the Suzuki 500 and the Arctic Cats is superior to the wet multi-plate setup, 50% vs. 30% "torque bias."

Name: Rob Alford
Email: rlalford@hotmail.com

According to Arctic Cat's literature, the 454 4x4 has a ratchet-type front differential that is supposed to be better than the other systems on the market. Do you know anything about this system and how well it works?

ATV: Arctic Cat Bearcat 454 4x4
Category: Clutch/Transmission/DriveTrain
Date: 08-Feb-98
Ref#: 2391

Rob,

It just so happens that I recently completed a story on 4x4 front differential types for DIRT WHEELS for the (scheduled) April '98 issue. Below is a sample of what pertains to your machine.

"The other type of limited-slip differential used in ATVs is the all metal 'ratcheting cone' type. Instead of multi-plate clutch packs, there are right and left 'face' cams that receive the torque from movable cam followers that ride in slots and pick up torque from the drive shaft. When a slippage is sensed and a wheel rotates faster than its counterpart, the face cam for that wheel will change speed (usually increase). This forces the cam follower to move in its slot causing that face cam-to-cam follower-to-pinion gear (driveshaft) to have a lower effective gear ratio and that wheel rotates slower than the other side which gets a 'higher' gear ratio and that face cam and wheel rotates faster. The cam followers will 'ratchet' in their slots until approximately 50% of the torque is distributed to each wheel. So the 'torque bias' for this system is set at 50%. "

Old 11-04-2000, 12:16 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Yep, I have that Dirtwheels. Looks pretty good on paper, but its still nothing when you spin three in the real world.

Old 11-04-2000, 07:34 PM
JKB
Pro Rider

Hey Andy, I no its not perfect but it will pull better than most. But it does spin a tire in the air at times. It seems as though some people were confused by the statement torque sensing.
Cheers Jim