Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Need some honest opinions

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 09:46 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some honest opinions

Hey guys! Well ive been in the market for a new4x4 and came across the Arctic Cat line. Looking at the 400 and 500. Ive read up on some reviews from multiple magazines and online sources, but didnt seem like that like them too much. With the Suzuki's bulletproof engines, the suspension and ground clearence, i would think it would turn out with some better scores. But what im asking from you people, that have ridden both the arctic cats (400 or 500), how does it truly compare to the competition? Kodiak, Eiger, Sportsmans etc etc...Seems to bee a solid machine from the looks of it! Just wondering what you guys thought. Thanks for any info

Old 12-27-2005, 10:24 PM
Trailblazer

When I bought my Arctic Cat 400, I had the resources to buy nearly any ATV in it's class. I had experience riding everything from Arctic Cat to Yamaha. I chose Arctic Cat for many of the reasons you describe, the engine, the suspension, ride, durability and it's superior low range - hell, the rack options/accessories alone distance it from the competition. Many of my friends have ATV's that look more fancy, but that usually wears thin when I'm hauling them out of the mud. When I'm riding my A/C I just have this pride - this sense that I'm riding the best machine in the woods. You won't win any races, but you'll win where it counts....

Old 12-27-2005, 10:26 PM
Trailblazer

well I've been on the both the 400 and 500, they are heavy and rock solid, built tough to boot. They are slower than most but you really don't need speed anything over 40 on trails is crazy. I think alot of the marketing hype is just that, I hardly see anything about AC and just started seeing TV ads. I like the 500 beause of the power but the 400 does everything I ask and more. Polaris's would be my second option but here lately it looks like they have had a bunch of bad apples released, Suzk are just cats with different and fewer options and when I bought mine they still had straight axles with drum breaks so it didn't have the bang for the buck. Yamaha is a good light machine, I have a 400 kodiak it's faster and fun on the rails but build quality isn't what I would say great and then there is the 6 month warranty compared to AC 2 year and now 3 year, plus it's too light for me I didn't feel that secure on it. I can keep up with the yamaha but she has a tighter turning radius, but with a set of 6ply tires it helped out alot. I havn't been on the 06 except for the cats and I not to happy with the rack on the 400's but still the same old cat with a new dress. I also have the autos without a single issue on the tranny.

my suggestion is to ride them all in your price range then look at the build down to the nuts and bolts. Then look at features for price, then what do you want it for. I went with cat because of hunting, farming and good ol fun in the mud.

Old 12-28-2005, 04:32 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

The problem with all the magazine testers is they are all sport quad riders and haven't a clue of what a real trail and off road machine is about. They never like IRS suspension and of course AC is mainly a trail/off road machine manufacturer. I have never seen a favorable report on an Arctic Cat, even on the DVX which is identical mechanically to the Z400. Every time I've been out the only guys that go where my stock 2005 400 (that's machine and tires) can't go have after market tires. The bigger engines never even come into it. I regularly ride with a pair of 660 Grizz and a couple of 500s (a Honda and a Cat) and the only place they out do me is on top speed on logging road straights. Rider skill seems to kill them in the corners and allows me to stay with them.

Old 12-28-2005, 12:35 PM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

in my opinion there is no other bike for what it is. as long as you dont care for speed, the arctic cat is the way to go. 300 total weight capacity on front and rear racks. best ground clearence, f.i.s. which makes for the most comfy ride, select 2 wheel/4 wheel with diff lock,geared low to haul anything you want, the auto. if that is your choice is the only aluminum belt housing that manufactures has to offer that i know of. the others are plastic. i know my friend has had his polaris in the shop 7 times b/c that housing warps and water leaks in. on top of all this ist standard now with the multi purpose racks. ive owned 2 so far one being the 300, the other now a 500, and coming this year another 500( i want the diff lock). you just cant go wrong. the arctic cat is like a sore peter,you just cant beat it! lol

Old 12-28-2005, 12:59 PM
Trailblazer

I found the Cat best overall for my style of riding but any name brand will have have plus's and minus's...I would look at every possible machine in your price range then make a choice.

Old 12-28-2005, 02:28 PM
Pro Rider

Coming from sportquads and race bikes it took a little to get use to but I fall in love with it more and more everyday! Its built like a tank and goes through anything you put in front of it. The comfort is second to none on it with its independent suspension especially after you get some good aftermarket tires for it (26in mudlight xtr's). THe XTR's also make it steer much better. the 6.5 gallon gas tank on it is awesome and gets me over 100 miles on the tank. The racks are real strong on them. I stand on top of them all the time when mudding with no effect and I way about 220 with gear. The 2 inch hitch in the back is nice four pulling my trailer around. The Hi and low gears and it being a manual allows me to crawl with immiadete power up and down hills at my choice of speed without tires locking up from engine breaking or any skidding. Complete control of the power rules. The front differnential lock is awesome for the real sticky deep mud but makes it harder to steer. I have 13 1/2 in of ground clearance with my XTR tires on it that allows me to crawl over huge bolders and tree stumps that my freinds get hung up on. It has full skidd plates that work great so far. The only negative i have on it is that it is wide and hard to fit down real tight trails. Also tons of accesories for it are available. THe suzuki 500cc engine and trans are bullet proof with real good power. Top speed is about 55 mph on it. They make it in an auto if you dont like to shift also. Its also one of the more affordable 500's and by far the best 500 utilitly in its class. Its not very sporty at all so if thats what you looking for in a utility i would go look somewhere else like the vinson or something. hope this helps.

Old 12-28-2005, 05:21 PM
Trailblazer

I bought my first 1st ATV in feb of this year. I looked at everything and bought a A/C 2005 500 auto. I was very pleased with the machine after 700 miles. I say WAS because it was stolen in November. The Insurance company did me very well basically only knocked off a couple hundred dollars for the depreceation, that should tell you something about their resale value. I took the check and walked into my local dealer and walked right passed the Polaris and bought another cat. 2006 500 auto. I have a couple friends that have polaris's and we have been on a couple long rides, I ended up hauling some of their gear because there was no room on the polaris the front box is basically worthless? and another big advantage of the cat is we have our own top notch service guy in this forum..BEAR! I dont think ive seen a question posted on here that BEAR coudn't help with. Buy a cat you wont be sorry

Old 12-28-2005, 05:40 PM
Trailblazer

Pro's of the Artic Cats:
- Speed racks
- Rear suspension
- upfront fuel tanks and largers sizes on many models.
- 2 inch receiver in rear on some models

Con's:
- Stock tires are not stiff enough.
- poor turning radius.
- very heavy. The majority of AC's are heavier than the majority of the other bikes (at least the published weights are).

If I were to buy another quad, it probably wouldn't be an AC. I would more likely lean towards the Suzuki. I previously owned a 2001 Suzuki 500 QuadMaster. I got rid of it because of the price on replacement parts. I wish I would have kept it now. What it lacked in clearance and top end speed, it made up for in turning radius and weight. Both of which are two of the most important things in the bush.

Just my two cents.

Old 12-28-2005, 10:24 PM
Pro Rider

Many good posts here in favor of the AC machines. I can add that after having owned Honda and Polaris I've bought 2 Arctic Cat TRV's (two rider) and have no regrets and would do it again in a heart beat. - wait... I think I did...

The Polaris machines were to high maintenance.
The Honda was a pain in the butt - would not idle right - either too low when cold or to high when hot.

Other features -

Cant say enough about the MRP rack options. I repurpose my machines for hunting to ice fishing in a matter of minutes.
Numerous Dealers and parts availability. I've only needed a tie rod and oil filters in the last two years (cant say that about the Polaris....)

When I'm riding in the mountains, grizzly bear territory or going way way way out from the truck - I choose the Arctic Cat machines over the others. (one reason I sold the others) I have enough pains, injuries and repairs and I absolutely hate walking back to camp and have no plans to be some bears dinner.

The TRV's now come with a removble seat (allways did really) but now have a alternate TBX style box. That can be very handy. I'm looking at adabtability to my 2003 and 2004 models for that one.

Like everyone has said - you wont get there first on the cats - but you will get there.

Good luck

Quick Reply: Need some honest opinions