Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

H1 or 500 Manual or Brute Force 750??

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 08:47 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H1 or 500 Manual or Brute Force 750??

I am in the market for another quad and I like the following:

AC 500 manual- Any problems, How does the power compare to the H1 and Brute? I like the manual trans and would like to know your likes and dislikes about the 500 Manual! Does the 500 motor in the new chassy work good?

AC H1- I know it has more grunt than the 500 but its an Auto and I havn't read anything about it yet!
How is it holding up and how much better is it then 500m Take off, speed, Power? Is it worth the extra cash over the 500 $1100.00?

The Brute Force looks like an awsome quad and Ive heard of limp mode and bad tie rod ends! Anything else?
Hav these problems been fixed on the 06 models? I Know the AC tranny is the best or close to the best you can get and that worries me about the Brute Force!

I have owned 2003 400 Auto and 2003 500 Auto and now I own a 2005 400 Auto. I luv my Cats but want something with more power and speed but mainly power!! The 500 Manual I believe will turn big tires no matter what and I wonder how the H1 and Brute would compare to gears? I rode with hondas, yamahas, and Polaris and when the mud got deep or the tires (OVERSIZED TIRES) got thick with mud, The belts would slip on the biggest quad as well as the smaller ones! That's why I am looking at the 500 manual!

This is the last quad that I plan on buying for along time! I mainly trail ride and also worrie that the new cats are to wide for the trails? Lastly, should I just keep my AC 400auto and put 26" tire, mod the stock pipe, jet carb and install a clutch kit? I like my 400 alot I wonder if the mods would make it a 400! Thanks for taking the time to read and respond!!

Old 01-03-2006, 09:45 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

This is another one of those "Let's compare and apple, an orange and a banana" deals. They are all in different classes and shouldn't be and can't really be compared.

Old 01-03-2006, 11:06 PM
Trailblazer

Rcat400 welcome to the forum, as bear said they are all in a league of there own 493cc-749cc, but I can help a bit. I have a 500 auto, it has one of the best auto trannys out there and it is bullet proof the H-1 has the same tranny setup as the 500 I have a H-1 also, power output is very close to the v-2 and the torq is down low it would churn them super swampers stock with no problems with the trans it has it is very reliable because it is based on the 500. The 500 it good but it may lack the power when in heavy mud with them swampers unless you always drive in low, the trans is great also. My 650 V-2 is a Kawi 633cc out of the prairie and that is just like the brute, and it is one of the worst trans setups out there it is not a wet cluch setup, so if you go with the brute and you want them swampers you better have a clutch kit on order with a hight engagement rate with aftermarket weights and ajust the belt really tight with the shrevs, and a Cdi module I had to do all this with my cat v-2 and I have stock tires. It feels like it is a touch faster than my H-1 take in mind the cat v-2 has mods and the H-1 is stock, So in all opinion The Black Cat H-1 is my bet for your application [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img] Doug ps dont mess with your 400 once you mess with it it will never be the same. My cats I have never had a issue with narrow trails with cats or polaris

Old 01-04-2006, 12:31 AM
Pro Rider

Heres my right up on my 05 500 manual. I cant tell you about the others.

Coming from sportquads and race bikes it took a little to get use to but I fall in love with it more and more everyday! Its built like a tank and goes through anything you put in front of it. The comfort is second to none on it with its independent suspension especially after you get some good aftermarket tires for it (26in mudlight xtr's). THe XTR's also make it steer much better. the 6.5 gallon gas tank on it is awesome and gets me over 100 miles on the tank. The racks are real strong on them. I stand on top of them all the time when mudding with no effect and I way about 220 with gear. The 2 inch hitch in the back is nice four pulling my trailer around. The Hi and low gears and it being a manual allows me to crawl with immiadete power up and down hills at my choice of speed without tires locking up from engine breaking or any skidding. Complete control of the power rules. The front differnential lock is awesome for the real sticky deep mud (rack level) but makes it harder to steer. I have 13 1/2 in of ground clearance with my XTR tires on it that allows me to crawl over huge bolders and tree stumps that my freinds get hung up on. It has full skidd plates that work great so far. The only negative i have on it is that it is wide and hard to fit down real tight trails. Also tons of accesories for it are available. THe suzuki 500cc engine and trans are bullet proof with real good power. Top speed is about 55 mph on it. They make it in an auto if you dont like to shift also. Its also one of the more affordable 500's and by far the best 500 utilitly in its class. I think the fact that its a manual is what really separtes this quad from other quads in its class. I have rode many other auto's and they all sliped in the mud and wate when soaked. Its not very sporty at all so if thats what you looking for in a utility i would go look somewhere else like the vinson or something. hope this helps.

Old 01-05-2006, 11:51 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!

H1, I love to ride wheelies!!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-06-2006, 01:44 AM
Pro Rider

FWIW- this past year the Cats with Manual trannys won big at the HighLifter Mud Nationals. The belts slipping on the autos hurt the competition. Plus the IRS of the Cat is awesome.

As for wide, my AC 650 is wide and I haven't had any problems I couldn't work out. If you check the width between most 400 and up ATVs, I bet there isn't more than an inch or two of width difference.

Old 01-12-2006, 03:33 AM
Range Rover

H1 all the way. The extra power will be greatly appreciated over the long run, it has one of the best autos, should be very little probs with it. Thee Kawis are the worst trannies in the biz, limp mode can strand you in the bush with no way out, tie rods probs, recalls, the list goes on and on. I had a Kawi, i will nver buy another one. My bro has ACs (400s and 500 autos) they are great machines, and the H1 is on the higher end of current big-bores. Go ahead and get it!

Old 01-17-2006, 07:34 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Must have changed something from 2005 to 2006 because my 2006 650V2 rock and rolls with no tranny problems, or belt problems.

Old 01-17-2006, 09:13 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!

Originally posted by: v2rider
Must have changed something from 2005 to 2006 because my 2006 650V2 rock and rolls with no tranny problems, or belt problems.
You are right they did. The 2006 V2's have the 4.00 to 1 gear ratio, no more belt issues.

Old 01-17-2006, 09:15 PM
Trailblazer

if i was going to buy a 2006 atv tomorrow with all the research i've done and all the models and manufactors thier are out there, it would be a A/C H-1

Quick Reply: H1 or 500 Manual or Brute Force 750??