Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Tire "Slime"

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 03:32 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire "Slime"

I have run the stuf (different brands) for over 15 year and in every thing I own. ATV, ATV trailer and boat trailer, car and truck with 10 ply tires. Got a 3/8 bolt in the truck tire and ran 40 miles till I got home and still had the same tire pressure as started. Pulled the bolt and put in some plugs and never had a problem. the sealent help seal the plugs. had nails in the ATV on the trail and would not remove the nails on the trail. Ended up running the ATV for 3 trips (about 400 miles) before removing the nail since I keep forgeting about the nail. In fact ware the nail off before removing it. Sealent will balance the tire after you state running. It will settal to the bottom when setting over a period of time. The places that have replaced the tires all told me no problem with changing the tires and I always told them it was in the tires, since the early stuf was supost to be flamable. Had it in a bicycle that had 2 flat tires when I bought it and the front tire kept going flat after about a week of no riding. removed the tire and found about 2 dozen thorns in the tire that kept going back through the tube. Took a scraper and went over the inside of the tire, replaced the wheel and never had a flat after that.

Will SLiME freeze?

SLiME can be used even in the most extreme conditions. SLiME's boiling point is 220ºF (104.4ºC) and its freeze point is -35ºF (-37.2ºC). SLiME will not freeze solid in extreme cold, but the viscosity may increase. As soon as the tire is in rotation, friction will create heat and that heat will bring the sealant back to its normal viscosity.

Old 01-25-2006, 07:41 AM
Pro Rider
Default Tire "Slime"

I guess it depends on your luck (with the brand of tire). We've got the original Badlands on our 04 Cats and have got over 1500 miles on each now. Once the goop was put in, that was the end of the lost air problems. Had a couple flats early on, but I plugged them, and still, after the goop, no more flats or lost air. And, the Badlands are working fine.

Old 01-25-2006, 08:10 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Tire "Slime"

Just my opinion, I slimed all my tires when I first bought me and the wifes ATV's. Last year, she had a little stick puncture her right rear tire. The tire went flat I saw no slime coming out of the hole. The slime did nothing. I used the tire repair kit that you push the plugs in. No problems, I will never waste money again on slime.

Old 01-25-2006, 02:03 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Tire "Slime"

Originally posted by: mountaincat900
Just my opinion, I slimed all my tires when I first bought me and the wifes ATV's. Last year, she had a little stick puncture her right rear tire. The tire went flat I saw no slime coming out of the hole. The slime did nothing. I used the tire repair kit that you push the plugs in. No problems, I will never waste money again on slime.

Sounds like 1 of 2 things; either the hole was over 1/4" in diameter or more likely you didn't put enough Slime in each tire. It takes about a quart per tire and running the machine after install to coat the inside of the tire and if you skimp on volume or don't run to coat things, it will not work

Old 01-25-2006, 06:38 PM
Trailblazer
Default Tire "Slime"

I do put a gallon in the total of 4 tires. about 26 oz in the front and the other 6 oz plus quart (32 oz) in the rear because of the difference in width of tires. My running is mostly in CO and UT so I do get into a lot of catus. I don't go hunting for problems but then I don't try to dodge the catus either. In most cases one set of tires will last them the life of the ATV in my case the last (Rubicon) had 3 sets of tires 9986 miles when I sold it. But still cheap insurance.

Old 01-26-2006, 07:35 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Tire "Slime"

Bear4570 Yea I did put in the right amount in each tire, rode it after putting it in to coat the inside but the puncture was larger than 1/4 ". You still would think the slime would be visible, oh well I guess it only works on small holes . I don't know!

Old 01-26-2006, 05:17 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Tire "Slime"

Originally posted by: mountaincat900
Bear4570 Yea I did put in the right amount in each tire, rode it after putting it in to coat the inside but the puncture was larger than 1/4 ". You still would think the slime would be visible, oh well I guess it only works on small holes . I don't know!

A found my gallon jug of Slime and they say bigger than a 1/4 inch and it just won't work. I would suspect that the air escapes to fast for the Slime to flow into the hole.

Old 01-26-2006, 08:09 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Tire "Slime"

Tire slime. I feel I wasted the money on the stuff. The wife's 400A had a small 1/4" cut in the sidewall. It went flat in 2-3 days with slime in it from this summer, as instructed on the bottle. Also after I took the tire off and wiped all the residue out, I couldn't get a patch to stick on the inside, and then tried plugs. Still leaks. Time for me to buy a new tire, Best of luck, tho.

Old 01-26-2006, 10:05 PM
Pro Rider
Default Tire "Slime"

Ya know what? Sounds to me like this tire was too far gone to be fixed by anything, so buying the new one was inevitable. I still think 'goop' of any kind is just good insurance against the 'normal' road hazard. Sidewall damage is a different problem that a lot of times can't be fixed by plugs, patches, or anything. You're lucky your wife got home with it at all and still had enough air to run. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-27-2006, 12:35 PM
Trailblazer
Default Tire "Slime"

Originally posted by: LIL57JON
Tire slime. I feel I wasted the money on the stuff. The wife's 400A had a small 1/4" cut in the sidewall. It went flat in 2-3 days with slime in it from this summer, as instructed on the bottle. Also after I took the tire off and wiped all the residue out, I couldn't get a patch to stick on the inside, and then tried plugs. Still leaks. Time for me to buy a new tire, Best of luck, tho.
MrTommy has the right idea there. The slime is a small insurance policy. If your wife can get here quad home. Its paid for itself. Expecting it to last for days is a bit over the top.

As for the temperature info people were discussing earlier, I've run it in the -40's before without feeling like the tires were out of balance. I think the slime just gels a bit, but doesn't freeze, throwing you out of balance. And hey, if you want to do anything other than plow snow at 5 miles an hour in -40 weather, your probably nuts anyways.

Quick Reply: Tire "Slime"