Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Tire "Slime"

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 07:11 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire "Slime"

Just about to treat my tires with "slime" its pretty cold here in michigan(unheated garage) anyone know if it should be applied in a warm enviroment?

Old 01-23-2006, 07:46 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Tire "Slime"

I have never used the stuff below 40 degrees so can't tell you. try checking on their web site:

http://www.slime.com/

Old 01-23-2006, 08:37 PM
Pro Rider
Default Tire "Slime"

After doing some web research we decided to NOT use the slime becuase of the cold weather.
It does get thick in the cold and will pool and lay in the bottom of the tires making them terribly out of balance.
Also, as it gets older it will crystalize and become an abrasive that will work its way into th beads and create slow leaks.

We gathered that Slime was best used post failure as it does nothing good for undamaged tires.

When we started our research we were pretty novice riders and thought it would be a great idea.
Many thousands of ATV miles later I've found that I can fix more with several strands of plug string
then I can with anything else. The last was a 10 inch railroad spike into the top of the sidewall. It took 12 strands of
plug string to hold air but it held for over 10 miles in rough terrain and got us back home.

I've never seen a single successful fix with Slime and I havn't met anyone who has used it and would do it again.

I think that says something.

Old 01-23-2006, 08:44 PM
Pro Rider
Default Tire "Slime"

I have had it in my tires and used the ATV in temps around -20F and lower . I can't tell you if it works at that temp but I have never had a flat. I have ahd a tire loose some air but never go flat.

My guess is that is doesn't dry to well in the cold but could still be applied into your tires. I have never thought about it I guess. You can alway put a small dab on a chunk of wood in your garage and see if it hardens. It will definitely not want to flow very easily in the colder temps.

Put your machine in the living room! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

SJ

Old 01-23-2006, 08:50 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Tire "Slime"

I have seen a product on ATV Television that is supposed to work very well but I dont remember what it was. Anybody else know what im referring to?

Old 01-24-2006, 12:55 AM
Pro Rider
Default Tire "Slime"

There are several products out there, all claiming to be the best, of course. We've got Slime in our tires and use the machines year round. No problems - and most importantly, no flats. It even cured the constant air leaks we had, requiring that we re-inflate every day before riding. My quess would be that all the products work just fine. I know Hi-Lifter has some stuff that they claim is unbeatable. Your choice.

Old 01-24-2006, 02:15 AM
Range Rover
Default Tire "Slime"

Perhaps someone can answer a question I have about Slime and other similar products. It is my understanding that once this product is used, a tire cannot be repaired in a normal, vulcanized patch way. The patch will not stick. Nor can the tire ever have a tube installed. I understand this may never be an issue for most folks, but I'd like to know if that information is correct.

Old 01-24-2006, 03:09 AM
Pro Rider
Default Tire "Slime"

Originally posted by: JimJa
Perhaps someone can answer a question I have about Slime and other similar products. It is my understanding that once this product is used, a tire cannot be repaired in a normal, vulcanized patch way. The patch will not stick. Nor can the tire ever have a tube installed. I understand this may never be an issue for most folks, but I'd like to know if that information is correct.

If no one alse answers, drop a PM to nightw50, as he has a tire shop.

Old 01-24-2006, 07:45 AM
Pro Rider
Default Tire "Slime"

I've heard this too, but it didn't stop me from putting the stuff in. In my opinion, the benefits far outweigh the downsides (if there, in fact, are any). I also didn't know anybody still put tubes in tubeless tires that were SO bad they wouldn't hold air on thier own. I would replace the tire at that point.

Old 01-24-2006, 12:29 PM
Pro Rider
Default Tire "Slime"

I was out riding on a sunday with my stock badlands and i got a big rip in the sidewall and there was no atv dealers open but one atv repair shop and he put a tube in it for me so I could still go riding. I never had any airleaks out of it. the first weak i got my atv i got a flat on the other rear tire and had a tube put in it and it works fine also. i was on vacation so the tube saved me from going home and waisting a vacation. Since then i got new mudlight xtrs because of how bad the badlands are.

Quick Reply: Tire "Slime"