Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

ride quality sportsman vs artic cat!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2006, 03:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ride quality sportsman vs artic cat!!

anybody know which is better, 400-500 class........

Old 02-05-2006, 03:48 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Mine is

Old 02-05-2006, 03:51 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: v2rider
Mine is
maybe i should have said in the 400-500 class,thanks........

Old 02-05-2006, 04:45 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Just kidding. I wont dissagree that polaris has a more comfortable ride.

Old 02-05-2006, 04:53 PM
Pro Rider

riding slower i gotta admit it seems that the sportsman has a lil plusher ride but if you pound down a rough trail at a higher speed i would say the cat does. and if you are in an area with alot of really deep holes the cat all the way no sway bar so it articulates better. but it seems the downfall for polaris's plusher ride is that they lose alot of ground clearance by just sitting on it.

Old 02-05-2006, 05:02 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Well put weez

Old 02-05-2006, 06:32 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: weez440
riding slower i gotta admit it seems that the sportsman has a lil plusher ride but if you pound down a rough trail at a higher speed i would say the cat does. and if you are in an area with alot of really deep holes the cat all the way no sway bar so it articulates better. but it seems the downfall for polaris's plusher ride is that they lose alot of ground clearance by just sitting on it.
i disagree with the point you made about losing ground clearance, i don't on mine.. lol wayout, out.......

Old 02-05-2006, 11:51 PM
Pro Rider

I rode my friends AC '05 500 the other day, and i would have to say Polaris, my 500 rode better, and my 700 rides better, idk about the ground clearance thing..
----------------------------
2004 Polaris Sportsman 700 (Green)
'27 ITP 589 M/S Tires
3000 lb. Warn Winch
3-Way Headlight Mod
High Lifter Lift Kit

2004 Polaris Sportsman 500 Mossy Oak - STOLEN
2001 Honda Rancher ES 350
Winch
Sold

Old 02-06-2006, 12:50 PM
Pro Rider

I'm over 200 pounds and my machine barely moves when I sit on it and I have it on the middle setting out of 5. had it at the firmest setting but was way too stiff even with close to 200 pounds of tongue weight from a heavy trailer. can't see the Sportsman being too soft, crank the springs up.

been looking at the Cats myself wayout, and don't think the 400 would be enough, 500 is the way to go and the shifter has low range reverse whereas the 400 does not. the auto belt system is different than the Polaris in that it has a wet clutch so the belt is always engaged, doesn't sit there loose until rpms build up like the Polaris snowmobile type. so as long as you use the proper gear range there is no belt slip with the Cat/Suzi trans. I'm not knockin' the Polaris system, I never even smell the belt and I haul hundreds of pounds all the time. just saying they are different. as far as ride and suspension, the Cat is probably the better rock crawler having more articulation without the sway bar and more suspension travel. this means the Cat probably feels more tippy than the Sportsman however, would really have to ride them both to know for sure.

Old 02-06-2006, 09:18 PM
Pro Rider

I own both.
Interesting question - ride quality. How is that defined - Riding on snow, sand, rocks, ice, mud, wet leaves, hills, swamps, gravel, fast, slow, 2up, technical, flat-out, through streams? Its a pretty wide brush of different conditions and likely different answers are each correct.

OTD I disliked both as both tend to be to soft in the springs. I added heavy duty springs and enjoy the handeling improvement for cornering with either machine. The HD springs do take away from the softer ride some - but its worth it. AC gets extra points for its extra ground clearence but both sit up smartly with the HD springs. Larger tires are correct for some conditions but wrong for others.

The 500 Polaris is faster then a 500 cat. It does handle at higher speeds slightly better also. The cats are heavier and if your looking for high speed performance heaver is not better. Is that why your buying the atv for? Competition? Faster bumper rubbing trail riding makes me pick the Polaris. But for hunting or more technical riding I choose the Cat EVERY time.

If your going to carry a PAX the 2 rider cat TRV versions are WAY better ride then a Single Rider Quad. I use a 2-rider TRV for hunting and will NEVER bring the Polaris as the Cat is more stable and requires less arm wrestling traversing a lengthly hill side. I also strap a large backpack to the rear TRV PAX backrest leaving adequate room for myself - which improves the ride comfort also. Thr MRP features of the Cat for rackage options is the best of any manufacturer if your looking at a utility machine. I own and use most of the MRP accessories as I switch between trail, camping, ice fishing and hunting modes.

Ride quality should also incompass the ability to - ride it home. I give the Cat a much higher score in dependability and durability. Based on my 1000 miles + on each machine.

I dont notice much of a difference in the seat. After riding the two machines on the same hills and same conditions I choose the Cat unless I'm going to be rubbing fenders on some testorone challenge ride.