Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Hopping Cat 04 500

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 04:11 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hopping Cat 04 500

I recently purchased a new 2004 AC 500 manual. It was a holdover. The problem I am experiencing occurs when I get it out in some snow and work it through 8-10 inches of fluff and/or try to run up some hills. The front tires start to slip and the resulting "limited slip" causes the rear tires to hesitate. It's the oddest thing to watch. I have owned a 95 Polaris Magnum, 94 Kawasaki Bayou, 99 Honda Foreman, and a 98 Arctic Cat 500. None of them did this. My friends own Yamahas and Hondas and have not had this happen to theirs. The resulting hesitation causes the machine to hop as if it was in a tug of war.

I have had the thing into a dealer near my home twice and hauled it back to the original dealer once. They claim they have investigated it thoroughly and consulted with the factory experts and can not fix this. I am so disappointed at this juncture. I wish I had kept my old 98 AC. It would run through twice the snow this thing will.

Old 02-23-2006, 11:18 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never heard of this, and I ride with some guys that manuals. My 04 auto doesn't do it, and I can't think of any reason a manual would.

Old 02-23-2006, 11:57 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the reply. The dealer techs tell me that it is caused by the backlash from the front differential when it oscillates back and forth. He claimed that I didn't notice it on my 98 cat because there were two less CV joints with the straight axle and they each add a little play in the driveline.

Judging by the lack of replies I'm guessing that this has not been a big problem. Maybe I need to get a third opinion. I'm 0 for 2 in dealer selection, does anyone have a recommendation for a dealer with a good service department?

Old 02-23-2006, 12:15 PM
Pro Rider

Hey, you're from Alexandria, me too [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

I use Glenwood Equipment (in Glenwood obviously), I assume you use Heartland in Alex? Same owners, and perhaps that's the second dealership you have tried. I know the service manager in Glenwood, so I guess that probably helps when I say I have had great service there. If the problem can be isolated here on the net, I could probably call him and have him look into it.

Do you ride much local? Head up north often?

Old 02-23-2006, 05:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

No, I went to Sauk Centre because they have been in the business much longer. Didn't help though. The dealer where I bought this POC is in Delano, Delano Motor Sports/Donahue Harley. I've been quite patient with these jokers, but I just got off the phone with the service manager and he acknowledges the quad has an issue, but since Arctic Cat (the factory) won't help he "doesn't know what else to do"......."sorry". How about giving my money back.

Sorry about the venting folks, but I've been going around and around with these pinheads for six weeks and I'm getting nowhere fast. The last time I picked the quad up at Delano they had it for a week. I had asked them to check the idle/carb/choke because it would not continue running at a cold start-up. They started it and then it died and they couldn't get it to run, so they loaded it onto my trailer with a forklift all the time reassurring me there is nothing wrong with the unit. A FORKLIFT !!!!! I couldn't help but laugh. It was 10 degrees out at the time. I've owned this wheeler for 4 1/2 months and it's either been in the shop or I'm arranging for it to be in a shop.

Anybody interested in a low mileage (94 miles) 2004 500 manuals with 2500 lb Warn winch?

Old 02-23-2006, 06:09 PM
Trailblazer

If the back lash is incorrect on your frt diff.. Then you should have the dealer shim it correctly... I'm in the process of doing my frt diff now.. And i have the 650 Manual (even though mine is a 500) Since i'm doing the 650 diff i want to make sure i have it shimmed correctly.

Mark

Old 02-23-2006, 06:28 PM
Pro Rider

I'll give a call to the service manager in Glenwood, maybe I'll get lucky and he will know the fix.

Old 02-23-2006, 08:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks............I'll give Glenwood a call and see if they would like to take a stab at it. If I tell em Chumley told me to call will they know who that is?

Old 02-23-2006, 08:02 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry for the late/lengthy response, I think I had some similar problems with my 400 when it was new and I was towing heavy loads. It seemed to happen when I was starting from a standstill towing large/heavy loads. The rear tires would spin and one of the front tires would spin. When the tire that was spinning on the front hooked up the rear tires would almost stop moving and then the whole machine would slowly begin moving. I could hear and feel the machine shimmy (only way I could describe it).

I think my problem was caused by the clutch slipping or slipping in the front diff. my problem went away when I put some more miles on.

From what you have written I wonder if there could be something up with your clutch? It is my understanding (someone please correct me if I am wrong) that the drive to the front tires should not effect the rear tires unless there is a problem in the tranfer case gearing. The front Diff is limited slip which causes the 3-wheel drive problem that the diff-lock corrects.

I am assuming the "experts" have checked your clutch adjustment? Is it still under warranty?Hope this hel

I don't know the contact numbers and email for AC customer service but they are posted here on a thread someplace. As I have seen them before.

Not to rub salt in an open wound but I did get a pretty good laugh out of the bit about them loading your machine back onto your trailer for you with a fork lift!

Hope this helps.
SJ

Old 02-23-2006, 08:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

Are you retrofitting a 650 front diff to get the locking differential on your 500 quad?

Quick Reply: Hopping Cat 04 500