Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Cat 500 vs. honda Rubicon

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2000, 01:28 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Boner,

Don?t let SITnSPIN get to you. Anybody who owns a AC300 or a King Quad knows they can pull a 450. I can pull my Honda 300 around like it?s a toy.

Old 11-20-2000, 04:14 PM
Pro Rider

Hey SITnSPIN:
Your name-calling just degraded this post to a bash session. It only servers to lower my opinion of YOU. Lets get back to posting useful info only, PLEASE.

Old 11-20-2000, 05:48 PM
Pro Rider

Thats one of my fears for the Arctic Cat forum, this has always been a very informative, well mannered forum I would hate to see it ruined by people like SitnSpin. Thanks YukonRon.

Old 11-20-2000, 07:51 PM
Trailblazer

If I have bothered you in any way, I would like to appoligize. I didn't mean to hurt your AC forum. I just dissagree with you guys from my own experiance, but maybe I am wrong. You say that your AC 300 can outpull a Honda 300? I will get back on that, but what i was wondering, how much more does a King Quad weigh that a Quad Runner? I would also like the weights of the AC500, and the person who runs them. Were the weights of the two operators equal? probably. About a AC300 outpulling a Honda 450, I dont see that possible. Could you tell me the weights of these quads. Did they have an equal amount of gas in them, and were the riders the equal weight? If you would for me, could you pull them on dirt instead of asfault? I recall reading on this topic that that a AC... well here it is:

PS. I had a pull off with a 450es that had 27" Vampires. Even with his traction advantage he could not move me(till some 350 lb tub of lard started pushing his 450). Now that I have my tires I want to have that pull off again to see what will pull what with factory tires.

complements of boner.

He didn't state on what surface this was done on, but seeing that most of his tests are done on asfault, lets asume that this test was the same. If you put 27 inch tires on an ATV (or anything) wouldn't that suck a lot of power? And it is my belief that Vampires are mud tires, therefor they don't work very well on hard pack. I would like to see this test done in the mud, I think the outcome will be different. Do the tests fairy, please. Again, were the weights of the riders the same, along with the gas? What, gas!! Yes. If one ATV is empty and the other one is full, that is about 30-40 lbs. right?

Im ending this discussion right here, Im sure you are all tired of this. The AC will probably outpull Hondas because of there weight differentences.

This topic started off when StichZR2 asked what would win in a pulling contest between a AC500 and Rubicon. I dont belive I started it, I stated what I saw to give you guys some more information to add to your knowledge on ATVs.

I hope i didn't "get to you"

Old 11-21-2000, 01:03 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Didn't get to me. The King quad weighs a bit over 600 lbs. where the 450 weighs about 20lbs. less. The 450 has more power, but it really doesn't help against the super low range utilizing all of the 300's torque, and the advantage of differential lock. If the 450 is going to pull it, it is going to have to drag it with the wheels sliding, not rolling. A 450 has some power, but not that much. Imagine dragging a 600 lb. rock. Then imagine that the rock is pulling back too. That makes it a little easier to believe.

On the 450 vs. AC 500, I say no way. There is no traction advantage for the Honda here. It also weighs like 65lbs. less than the AC. The power difference is in the AC's favor once again. In reality, we are talking 433cc's against 493cc's. Also, the high reving honda can't compete with the more torque oriented AC. It revs lower and gets more torque down there, thus, more pulling power. You have to wind the honda up more to get the most out of it. Gearing? put the extra low 1st gear up against low range 1st on the AC, and you still don't get down low enough.

Now the Rubicon, that may be different. I wouldn't call this one. Have to see it. Honda gets the nod on paper with the surtrac. They still are outweighed by 50lbs, and we dont really know if the torque is up to par with the AC or not. Gearing here? Who knows how low the Hondamatic tranny is compared to the low range of the AC. This one would be interesting.

Old 11-21-2000, 07:42 PM
Trailblazer

I have had the honor to ride the Rubicon, and it is a torque monster. I don't know if it will match the AC500 because I don't know how much touqe it has. I think it will be a toss-up.

Old 11-21-2000, 11:22 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I agree there. I will say that the 500 honda is above and beyond the 450.

Old 11-22-2000, 04:30 AM
Pro Rider

The rubicon has 22.5 horsepower. 450 has 24 horsepower.

Old 11-22-2000, 04:49 AM
Pro Rider

The ac 300 rider was A SMALL WOMAN and the 450 was a rider nick named Bean(as in bean pole). He is about 7 foot tall and pretty skinny, maybe 220 lbs at the most. I have a picture of him jumping a 2000 SILVERADO about 25 ft out on my site.

When I had the pull off with the 450 it was at first his front yard(wife didn't like the 8 holes in her yard). Then it was on a dirt road. The vamps had more than enough traction cause he could not spin them in 2nd gear, in first he could spin them no problem.

HE was about 78-80 lbs heavier than me too so theres your weight advantage. Not sure about gas.

Old 11-22-2000, 07:09 PM
Trailblazer

How can a smaller enginge have less horsepower?

That answers my question. The 450 didn't have enough power to spin in 2nd gear because of the bigger tires.

Quick Reply: Cat 500 vs. honda Rubicon