Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Cat 500 vs. honda Rubicon

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2000, 12:48 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GOOD POINT ANDY!!

Old 11-27-2000, 10:42 AM
Pro Rider

Oh My God!!!!! Someone from Arkansas is bashing the great lands of Kansas (ha ha ha).

I think this Election Indecision is starting to get to everyone.

No offense Andy, we in Missouri bash the flatlanders from Kansas all the time. I'll refrain from getting started on the DNA issues on the people in Arkansas though (ha ha ha).

All in good fun, nobody get upset, just trying to lighten everything up a little.

Lance

Old 11-27-2000, 04:21 PM
Pro Rider

The AC all the way, at our local atv pulls the Honda 450's could not pull very far, the AC 500 easily out pulled it. Honda does not have a good 4x4 system simple as that, I got stuck more with my Honda 300 4x4 than I did with my Yamaha Warrior! The Ruby is supposed to be better but i sincerely doubt it will compete with real ATV's like the SP, the Grizz and the AC 500. Honda may make the most reliable but they also make the most uncomfortable and underpowered and very bad 4x4 systemed machines out there.

Old 11-27-2000, 04:33 PM
Pro Rider

I believe Boner Honda's do not pull well at all. I would put my money on the 300 AC for sure. I have seen allot of machines pull and the Honda's are always last, why is pulling as issue? well it shows how much work you can do. How much of a load you can tow. As for the Honda 300 and were it can or can't go. as I said earlier my Warrior would go more places than my Honda 300 that is why i traded the Warrior wanted a better machine for rougher terrain, was I dissapointed! Besides the Polaris for mudding I would get a AC for sure.
The 500 AC is a sweet and powerful machine. would the Honda be a bad machine nope, dull, yes, would it get the job done most of the time probably. But for hard work and harder play get the AC.

Old 12-02-2000, 02:46 AM
Pro Rider

BONER,
After a few cold ones, I once challenged a 99 Sportsman to a pull off, hitch to hitch. I won! I can say that on this forum with out fear of 1000 angry Polaris riders crying foul! Its the truth, I didn't win by much, but a win is a win!

Rick

Old 12-03-2000, 01:39 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

You must remember that those same Ozark mountains, famous for inbred backwoods hicks are also shared by Missouri. Hard to grenade a guy in the same room without killing yourself too.

Old 12-05-2000, 01:39 AM
Pro Rider

My rancher easly outclimbs the 500 cat"auto or non auto"in the sand pits and the ruby will kill the ac 500 in any terrain except for maybe pulling a transfer sled but that is not very important in the real world anyhow?

Old 12-05-2000, 02:42 AM
Pro Rider

Had a pull off yesterday with a Ruby, Sp500, Suzuki 500 quadrunner. The AC and the polaris both had full pulls in 4wd, The Suzuki didn't and the Ruby wouldn't. It was a straight sled with no weight transfer. The AC out pulled the SP by 25 yards in 2WD. The only machine with aftermarket tires was the Zuki (blackwaters) The pull was done in packed granite sand that was damp.The Ruby was fastest overall and the AC was the slowest.(100 yds) I lost by 65 feet.

Old 12-05-2000, 12:50 PM
Pro Rider

Minehunter:
Thanks! Nice to see some actual honest "real world" testing beind done by actual real world riders, not some magazine editors. I suspect the AC winning the 2wd pull over the Sportsman was almost purely due to the high torque of the 'Cat. However, it was interesting that only the 'Cat and the SP finished with a "full pull". Kind of blows that 3 vs. 4wd theory now doesn't it. Nothing against the SP, I seriously considered buying one. Besides price, I think the IRS was the main reason I didn't. For the pure work I do with my 'Cat, I prefer a solid rear axle, and after owning and working my 'Cat for quite a while now, I wouldn't trade it for anything. I am surprised the Ruby wouldn't pull however. I haven't seen the hp or torque numbers on that machine, but with the tranny improvements, or developments I should say, I would think it could pull a little better than the 450's would?. Out of curiousity, what did the sled fully loaded weigh? Also, in your speed tests, I assume these are just from a dead stop, with no weight for 100 yards? I can see the 'Cat coming in last here-they're not the fastest by any means. How close were the Ruby and SP?

Anyway, thanks for the results, good test!

Mike

Old 12-05-2000, 08:24 PM
Pro Rider

The Ruby beat the SP by about 7 feet as far as I can tell. The sled weighed approx 1100 pounds. I was made up of creosoted 12X12 timbers 15 feet long (2) with 12"X12"X8' cross timbers.(6) The runners weren't shaped or anything, just squared ends. the pull wasn't timed, but if it was i'm sure I would have done it quicker than the SP. At least it seemed like I did it faster than he did. I tried to get the Suzuki to do a hitch to hitch pull, but he was afraid he'd brake something in his rear end. The Ruby just didn't even want to try. Oh well such is life..

Quick Reply: Cat 500 vs. honda Rubicon