Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Too Much Oil

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 10:46 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Too Much Oil

I had my oil changed at the beginning of the winter and I don't remember if I checked the level at that time. The other day I looked at the sight glass and all I could see was oil. When I opened the fill cap I could see oil down there and the dealer said that if I could see it there was too much oil. (yes, the dealer that did the oil change)

When I mentioned that he did the oil change he said it could be gas in the oil that leaked in there.

I siphoned the oil until the level was correct in the sight glass and got about a pint out, but I don't know what to do next. Should I just keep my eye on it? The oil does have a slight gasoline odor but so does everything else on the quad including me.

How does gas get into the oil except from the cylinder? Could the rings be bad? I have 236 miles on it.

Thanks,

Harry in PA

Old 05-20-2006, 01:01 AM
Pro Rider
Default Too Much Oil

HarryInPA,

If you machine sat for a any length of time and the fuel shutoff valve (if there is one) was not turned OFF or if you trailer your machine without turning the fuel valve to the OFF position, fuel can get into the cylinder due to the float sticking or bouncing around on a trailer.

Once fuel is in the cylinder it can slowly go around your rings and into the oil. In fact in the winter if it is cold enough it is easier for this to happen if your machine is kept outside.

This does not mean there is anything wrong with your rings, but possibly the carb.

Change your oil and filter again. A pint or more of fuel in your oil is enough to damage your bearings in your engine if its ran too muchlike that.

Plus if you change the oil (I would do it yourself) and make sure the correct amount of oil is in it when you are done you can watch it more closely for a little while to see if the dealer overfilled it. Or if you have a float sticking in the carb.

Use the fuel shutoff when not using the machine for a while OR when trailering. IF you do not have one install one onthe fuel line between the carb and the tank along with an inline fuel filter.

Your oil should be changed every 6 months either way so it probably needs to be done.

Might also mean you need to find another dealer if the dealer over filled the fluids. If they can't do something as simple as an oil change...

Hope this helps.

SJ

Old 05-21-2006, 11:44 PM
Trailblazer
Default Too Much Oil

Swampy,
I will change the oil. The reason I don't usually change my own oil is the hassle of getting rid of the old oil around here. Everyone says that repair places will take the oil but in reality I have not found that to be the case.
Same problem with car batteries. I still have an old one here.

If by fuel shut-off you mean the switch on the side of the gas tank that chooses between on/off/reserve then yes I have one and I use it. I do keep the quad in the shed during the winter though and its cold in there.

I will get the repair manual and try to change it myself.

Thanks for the help.

Harry

Old 05-22-2006, 02:47 AM
Pro Rider
Default Too Much Oil

The switch onthe side of the tank is the one I was refering to.

Sounds like your problem is one of two things then if the machine runs fine.

1) Dealer put too much oil in during the last oil change.

2) A chunk of gunk from our high priced high quality gasoline we get these days stuck your needle open in flooded the cylinder which bled into your crankcase and into the oil. In line fuel filter helps to prevent this.

For disposing of used oil check your phone book for an oil recycle place. If you cannot find one call one of your local fast food joints or quick lube businesses and ask what company picks up their used oil. Given the price of oil these days used oil should be like gold. Your car battery is different. Sometimes if you buy a new one they will take the old one in as a core exchange.

Good Luck

SJ

Old 05-22-2006, 08:31 AM
Range Rover
Default Too Much Oil

Just make sure and you probably did that you are level when checking the oil. I know on my 300 if it is the slight bit unlevel it reads too full.

Old 05-22-2006, 03:03 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!
Default Too Much Oil

DOn't know if you have a Fleet Farm in your area, but they pay you like $1.25 for each old battery you bring in. Not too bad! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 05-23-2006, 11:03 PM
Trailblazer
Default Too Much Oil

Never heard of FleetFarm catterman but I'll check around for a similar deal and Homer my shed floor is pretty level.

Thanks to all.

Harry in PA

Old 05-28-2006, 12:35 PM
Trailblazer
Default Too Much Oil

Changed the oil, I'll keep tabs on the level. The old oil looked like chocolate milk, the new ac oil looks like salad oil, almost transparent.

Harry in PA

Old 05-28-2006, 12:58 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Too Much Oil

Originally posted by: HarryinPA
Changed the oil, I'll keep tabs on the level. The old oil looked like chocolate milk, the new ac oil looks like salad oil, almost transparent.

Harry in PA
If oil looks milky in color (off white or real light tan) it usually means the is water in it. Are you using synthetic or regular oil?

Old 05-28-2006, 06:44 PM
Trailblazer
Default Too Much Oil

Sorry Bear I didn't mean to mislead you. When I said chocolate milk I was thinking of the way I make it,
twenty - one parts chocolate syrup and 2 parts milk.

The old oil isn't milky at all.

Harry