Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

No oil in the rear drive

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 01:36 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No oil in the rear drive

I just bought a new 2006 500 Auto two weeks ago. I have now put 100 miles on it. As I have been riding it I have noticed a humming noise comming from the rear final drive between 20 and 25 miles an hour. I didnt think much of it because I thought it just needed to break in and then the noise would go away.

But while I was giving it the first 100 mile oil change I decided to check the oil level in the final drive. I could stick my pinky finger as down as it would go and still not find the oil level. There was some residue on the sides of the case mabee from some little bit of oil that might be on the bottom from when AC assembled it but it is for sure not up to the bottom of the fill hole like I would asume it sould be.

Does anyone know if filling the rear final drive is something the dealer is supposed to do during final assembly and set up? Or are they supposed to be shipped from the factory full? If the dealler is suposed to top them off is there enough oil in it from the factory that the 100 miles I drove it didnt ruin anything? The dealer charged $180 for setup and final assembly.

Old 09-12-2006, 01:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

I also forgot to say the rear drive was getting hotter than my cousins new king quad after we had both rode over the same distance. Mine was to hot to hold on to while his was not near as hot.

Old 09-12-2006, 03:25 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would definitely take it in, if nothing else to document the problem for later reference.

Old 09-12-2006, 03:29 PM
Trailblazer

I will have to check mine. I just picked the machine up 2 weeks ago and have only 35 mile on it. I will have to check when I get home. I will keep you posted.

Old 09-12-2006, 04:15 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!

I suggest you put in there some Amsoil synthetic. I use the Marine lube as it can handle a 10% mixture of water and be 100% effective. But yes, document it to the dealer. Should be okay still, but better safe then sorry.

Old 09-12-2006, 05:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

I just spoke to the dealer and they said it could be that there is just a predetrmined amount of oil that goes into the final drive and it may not fill it up high enough to tell what level it is at from feeling inside the fill hole.

I looked at the owners manual and it said that it is suposed to be filled up with the specified amount of oil which is only 8.3 ounces, this is not very much and it could be that it is not enough to be able to feel it with your finger from the fill hole. The dealer siad that the final drive is filled at the factory during assembly.

I could be just worried about nothing but I am still going to research it out to see.

Old 09-12-2006, 10:53 PM
Pro Rider

Check with your dealer first but I believe the fluid level in the front and rear differential should be 1 inch below the threads. Not to the bottom of the threads like you would think. This may have changed since 2003.

I am not sure if filling the fluids is part of the "dealer prep fees" or not. The dealer I originally purchased my machines from did not charge for that.

Take it to the dealer and have them look at it. That way if it IS a screw up it will be documented.

However, I believe it says to check all the fluid levels prior to riding the machine in the owners manual. So even if it is their screw up they could turn it back onto you.

SJ

Old 09-12-2006, 10:56 PM
Trailblazer

They will run hot when breaking in the gears/bearings in the rear, but I think AC isn't filling them up enough. As you stated, the rear holds about 8 ozs and front about 9. I put over 8 ozs in each and the fill level still wasn't up to where I could touch it through the fill port. I haven't drained them and refilled with the specified quantity, but I am quite sure they were way low from the dealer.

Old 09-13-2006, 12:26 AM
Weekend Warrior

I looked into the rear drive with a flashlight and could see the oil level, I think it is fine, it is just a lot lower than I expected it would be, I am sure that it has close to the specified amount. As far as the heat and any noises it think they must be normal for break-in like was said; because they both seem to be going away.

I think I will add a little more oil though just for peace of mind. Thanks for all the input these fourms are great for information.

Old 09-13-2006, 07:43 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The manual for the 2006 model's also say fill to one inch below the fill hole.....................williebee

Quick Reply: No oil in the rear drive