Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Drift to the right

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 01:13 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drift to the right

I have a new TRV and am wondering about a possible (mis)alignment issue in the front end. The machine has started to steer (drift) to the right. Other than tire pressure, what should I look for? Thanks, kevin

Old 10-02-2006, 04:40 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Sounds like an alignment issue. Check it yourself. All you need is a string or a tape measure. Measure the distance between the front of the front wheel rims (as high up as you can) and the rear of the front wheel rims. Should be about a 1/4" closer in front. If not adjust it. I prefer 1/8" toe in for easier steering than the 1/4", but the 1/8" is with in spec. This is assuming your rims are not bent from hitting something.

Old 10-02-2006, 05:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok, sounds good... can you or anyone tell me the method used to adjust them? Thanks for the info.

Old 10-02-2006, 07:18 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

There are jam nuts on the ends of the tie rods from the steering stem to the steering knuckles on the wheel mount assemblies. Loosen the nuts and turn the tie rod to change the length. Adjust both tie rods the same amount or the handle bars will end up crooked. Make sure the bars are straight before you measure. I use bungee cords to hold the bars.

Old 10-02-2006, 09:25 PM
Trailblazer

The manual suggests that you tie the handlebars back to the rear rack so that you have equal measurements from the end of each of the handlebar to a common point on each side of the back of the frame. This will keep the handlebars straight when you are done. Then adjust the tie rods so that you have equal measurements from the inside edge of the rim to a common point on each side of the front of the frame and have the correct toe in measurement. I measured my toe in by putting a screw in one of the lugs (just barely screwed in but not enough to go clear into the tire) on the tire on each side as close to center of each tire as possible. Roll the machine to where the two screws are about mid height on the front of the tires (approximately at the belly pan level). I measure across the two screws and then push the machine backwards rolling the screws up over the top of the tire and down until I can just barely measure across the screws under the belly pan in back of the front tires. The measurement at the back should be 1/8" to 1/4" more than the measurement at the front. Make your adjustment, measure again and then roll the machine forward until the screws roll up over the top and down about halfway on the front where you began. Just repeat the process until you get the correct measurements for straight alignment and toe in.

I hope this makes sense.

Old 10-02-2006, 10:32 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

It's not a good idea to measure from tire to tire as they can be very out of round (these are very low pressure tires and the air won't change their shape that much). AC says to measure to the rims and not the tires.

Old 10-03-2006, 08:38 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the help, I think this is do-able. Kevin