Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Time for new tires !!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 03:35 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time for new tires !!!

I have a 03 500i automatic and it's time for some new tires. I mostly ride trails with the ocasional mud run. I was looking at the 25" Mud Lites, but I'm wondering how they will do on a hard pack trail.

Also I'm wondering if I need to re clutch it after I change tires? I do not want to go bigger.

Thanks

Old 10-31-2006, 09:21 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I will take crap for always reccomending these, but i would look at Swamplites, they are great in mud, snow, rough terrain, and hardpack, and rated the number one selling all terrain tire! Look at my pics

Old 11-01-2006, 12:51 PM
Trailblazer

Where did you by the Swamplites?
What size did you go with?
Are they really lite like the mud lites?

Old 11-01-2006, 01:16 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mudlites are a great tire, but when you ride hard surfaces will notice they are rougher and generate a lot more noise than a non-mud tire. If you only occasionally hit the mud I would recommend you look at something other than a mud specific tire, like the Maxxis Bighorn or even v2's precious Swamplite. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 11-01-2006, 11:25 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Ha Ha. I have 26" swamplites, and ordered them from trax motor sports. www.traxmotorsports.com

Old 11-03-2006, 03:58 AM
Trailblazer

Swamplites are nowhere near as lite as the mudlites. If you check highlifter.com the weight of a swamplite tire ( NO MATTER WHAT SIZE) is the same weight as an outlaw, which is pretty heavy. The weight of the mudlite is around 10 to 12 lbs lighter than the swamplite. I was really leaning toward the swamplite because of the deep lug and, well the word "lite". I didnt want to run a really aggressive tire like the "law or the 'zilla because of issues with the bevel gear and the axles on my cat. After checking teh weight of the two tires, I found that the 28" mudlite was around 24lbs while the swamplite was closer to 36lbs. If I was running the 650 or the 700 then maybe I would consider it, but with the limited amount of hopups available for the 06 500m, I'm trying to keep as much weight off the fat girl as possible.

Old 11-07-2006, 01:39 PM
Pro Rider

I would recommend the mudlite XTR's over the regular lites much smoother. They cost more but really make the difference on hard pack. I have also heard that the GBC dirt devils are a nice alternative that seems to cost less and perform very well.

Old 11-08-2006, 12:37 AM
Weekend Warrior

I just mounted some Kenda Bearclaws. 25x10x11 weighed in at 20lbs per tire according to UPS. I think the 25x8x12 weighed in at 18lbs per tire.

Very smooth on the cement drive tonight. I went with them based on the feedback they last a long time, don't wear like mudlites on hard pack, are great 6 ply trail tires, will do little mud, and are cheap (through rockymountainatv).

Good luck choosing!

Old 11-10-2006, 01:09 PM
Trailblazer

I went with the swamplites this time, and as for tire performance I have no complaints, although they're on a brand new bike and I have'nt got very many miles on them. I looked at several tires and weighed the pros and cons. The two major complaints on the swamplites were that they weren't light and that they would clog. Well, they're not light, but they DO NOT clog. I had no problems with this whatsoever and we ride thick Louisiana gumbo mud, as well as, hard-pack. They are a good self-cleaning tire. As for the mud-lites, I have a good friend with a set, and his only complaint is tire life. His tread has worn tremendously with only about a thousand miles on them, although he does ride alot of hard-pack. I don't know anybody with a set of these, but I looked at another tire called a Swamp Fox. These are really good looking tires and I almost went with a set, but they were on backorder. I don't know much about them, but you might check into em'. Good luck with whatever you decide.