Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

2005 500 auto crank case vent in air box problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 11:15 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 500 auto crank case vent in air box problem

Igot water in my airbox and it went trough my crankcase vent tube and filled my motor up. I cleaned the mess up and change oil 10 times. Went for a ride seemed fine next ride she blew up. Dealer said crank and bearings went out they found mud in the crank case and dont want to cover it. 500 miles on bike and tey wont cover it. It happened because of vent tube in air box. "Most vent tubes are located up top under gas tank". Iam trying to find other people this happened to so i can prove it is a factory problem and should be changed, maybe they will fix it if i can find other people with the same problemand feel like it should be a recall and fix it.

Old 11-04-2006, 02:54 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

There is a reason the crankcase vent goes into the airbox. The air inlet to the airbox is as high as they can get it without a snorkle. They figure that you won't go into mud or water deep enough to suck the bad stuff into the airbox into the engine. If you do that, that is operator error and that's pretty much how it works. If you do suck water and mud into the airbox you clean it and the engine out, ASAP. You didn't and now you get to pay for it.

Old 11-04-2006, 05:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

baer i stop runing the moytor in about 2minn and got toed back cleaned everthing out wright away and changed oil alot and it still went to hell itstill seems like adumb place to put it i dont know any other machine that puts it in the air box they know that it could get water in ther becase they put train plug on the bottom of air box sowhy add another one in there that runs into motor seems dumbthem polaires never had any problem there air vents go up to top of gas tank dont it seem dumb or is it just me the way the cat is

Old 11-04-2006, 07:32 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I've had water in my air box, but I never filled it up enough to get water in the carb or crankcase. If I did I would be drumping the oil and flushing the crankcase (you have to know what you are doing or you won't get it all out). You are not suppose to get water in the air box, ever; as you take the chance of ingesting water into the motor. It is never good to have any water in your crankcase. I was a marine mechanic for years and repaired hundreds if not thousands of sinkers.. Some get saved if you get them NOW, not tomorrow and not next week, etc. and work on them now. If there is any residue water in the crankcase it will ruin your motor. Actually water is a great engine lube as long as you have a large enough supply (they use water to lube the dynamos in hydroelectric power plants at dams) to always keep it below the boiling point (if the water turns to steam you have no lube there) and never shut the motor off (corrosion and rust). I was under the impression that the crankcase vent went to the air intake system on most motors. All my cars and trucks are that way, and I never saw a marine engine any other way either.

Old 11-05-2006, 12:41 AM
Weekend Warrior

i know most vents are going into the itakes but there is no posa bility of water geting intothe cranks on cars no comparesin if you ask me im just bumbed out my third ride and its mest up and i was not in that deep of waterithink the damage came from waves i was making while try to gwt threw the spot what suck isevery one els made it threw with no problem but my new cat

Old 11-05-2006, 01:43 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: dumming
i know most vents are going into the itakes but there is no posa bility of water geting intothe cranks on cars no comparesin if you ask me im just bumbed out my third ride and its mest up and i was not in that deep of waterithink the damage came from waves i was making while try to gwt threw the spot what suck isevery one els made it threw with no problem but my new cat
Too deep in the water or waves, as long as you watered up your airbox thru the air intake, that's gonna be your fault. There ain't no two ways about it. Sorry, but we learn fastest by our biggest or most costly mistakes.