Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

2001 Arctic Cat 300 question about upgrades ???

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 03:45 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Arctic Cat 300 question about upgrades ???

I want to put 25 inch tires on the front 26 inch on the back. Install a High-lifter 2 inch lift,Thats the easy part now this part I am a bit confused on what to do. Is it worth the effort to upgrade to a Dyno-jet kit and a K&N high flow air filter.The local Dealer is dumbfounded on what I am about to do.There answer was buy a new quad.This one has 1500 miles and runs great.It does backfire sometimes on a rapid decompression.But always dependable, I dont trust the dealer to even change the oil,And its out of the question to go find another one.Just to far away.So that leads me to do the upgrades which I truley love to do,but for some reason when I touch a carb all hell breaks loose .The Dyno-jet kit looks simply but is it really worth the effort and the possablity of me messing somthing up. And will the 2inch lift make my drivetrain weaker or other problems I am not aware of?

Old 01-15-2007, 04:56 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

First the bad news, the bigger tires (diameter) will hurt performance a lot, both acceleration and top speed. It's a little motor and has limited horsepower and torque. The bigger tires changes the effective differential gear ratio and that kills torque multiplication which hurts acceleration. A higher gear ratio requires more horsepower to maintain, much less increase top speed. I installed the Moose lift kit two years ago on our 2001 AC 250 and have had no problems caused by it. A jet kit and the K&N will help top speed a bit. FYI the backfire or pop on deceleration is called a lean pop and hurts nothing. If it bothers you turn your pilot jet out a 1/4 to 1/2 turn, or easier yet, ignore it. I will be adding the Dial-a-jet kits to both the 250 and the 400 because we ride from sea level to 7000 feet and it makes the jet changes quick and easy without going inside the carb. Have not gone to K&N air filters because my 400 is fast enough as is and the wifes says if I screw around with her 250 anymore I could shorten my life span. Both quads have cleanable airfilters with socks on them.

Old 01-15-2007, 09:30 PM
Pro Rider

JungleRat,

I am a big fan of "if it ain't broke...don't fix it" that said, with 1500miles you are probably in need of some new tires. My thinking is if the old size tires worked for you? why change size? Obviously if they did not perform they way you wanted to get new ones. But going to a larger size tire can open a whole new can of worms on your machine. Some of which Bear mentioned. You can do a search on almost any forum and see people post things about added torque and wear and tear on drive trains from larger tires in additionto speed vs power.

I also understand the jet kit to make it easier to do jet adjustments if you ride at different altitudes and such but by doing a jet kit and possibly increasing jet size (slightly better performace), and putting a K & N filter on I would also suggest a mod of the muffler/ Becasue I see a flow problem on your machine. Same stock muffler, increase air flow, increase fuel but still limited by stock muffler flow. I have not personally done this but from my experience with small engines and from what I have read here posted by others it would make sense to me if you are changing the flow in to change the flow out as well for more of a performance increase.

I then begin thinking about costs? New muffler $200-$250, Jet kit, K&N filter, lift kit, New tires. IF you are getting new rims with the tires it could easily be $1000. All this would definitely add new life to the 2001 but how much life would be taken away? But on the other hand, the mods do sound fun to do, and would definitely make it one bad machine.

SJ

Old 01-16-2007, 09:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the feedback Guys,I ordered the lift kit.And I'll ponder the rest as the winter goes on.The lift kit will be fun to install. And give me somthing to do. I still think the tires would not be a problem. If I was going 2 sizes up then, yes. But, With 1 tire size your proablay are only losing 2 to 3 mph on the high end. The quad only goes 50 mph with a tailwind and I run it at a comfortable 40 on the highway.(ATV's can be used on public streets and highways with the proper lisence plate here)I had a King Quad 300 2004 and put 25's on the front and 25's on the rears. Could not tell at all of any power loss. how would putting a 26 on the rear change it that much.Well I most likley will be putting 25's on front and 26's on the rear, when i'm at the tire store and put a high flow air filter on. But I dont think I will mess with the jets.Maybe???

Old 01-17-2007, 07:53 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: junglerat
Thanks for the feedback Guys,I ordered the lift kit.And I'll ponder the rest as the winter goes on.The lift kit will be fun to install. And give me somthing to do. I still think the tires would not be a problem. If I was going 2 sizes up then, yes. But, With 1 tire size your proablay are only losing 2 to 3 mph on the high end. The quad only goes 50 mph with a tailwind and I run it at a comfortable 40 on the highway.(ATV's can be used on public streets and highways with the proper lisence plate here)I had a King Quad 300 2004 and put 25's on the front and 25's on the rears. Could not tell at all of any power loss. how would putting a 26 on the rear change it that much.Well I most likley will be putting 25's on front and 26's on the rear, when i'm at the tire store and put a high flow air filter on. But I dont think I will mess with the jets.Maybe???
Do the math. 1" diameter increase, adds better than 3 inches to the circumference and that's where it bites you in the butt. That's diameter X Pi = Circumference. 25 X 3.141592" = 78.5398 , 26 X 3.141592 = 81.681392" and it does make a big difference.

Old 01-19-2007, 06:39 AM
Trailblazer

Well,I have thought of putting those size tires on my '01 300 4x4,but my Titan 489's aint no where near wore out.Thought of puttin rear up front and buying 26' to put on back.I dont think it would make alot of difference the way I ride.Very seldom do I put in Hi,mostly low and very little in super low.

I will say that if you like muddin stay smaller cuz mine wants to bog down in deep mudand a bigger size would be worst.I'll probly stay the original size on my next set.It would make it what,only a 1/2" higher,might not be worth power loss.

Lift kit,I made mine,looked at some at the Arctic Cat place,took measurements and made 'em.It sits right at 10' off ground at lowest point.Worth it to me.
Is yous a 4x4?

If it is you can make it positive traction.Mine has 2wd,4wd,and 4wd lock on it.And it REALLY helps out.

Old 01-19-2007, 11:23 AM
Weekend Warrior

Yes I made mine diff-lock also.I have had 3 -300 kingquads 4x4.So I was familaer with the front end when I bought the Cat.You also had the same idea as I to switch the rear to front and put 26x12x12 on the rear. I dont do much mudding here in North Idaho.But a lot of rock and alot of mountain riding.I seem to stay in mid range uphill.And I have a habit of no engine on the decend and just brakes.I like the quite and sometimes you can seek up on game.Probaly stems from mountain biking and riding with dirtbikers. I was messing around with the quad this week.I was experminting with a snorkle.I used 2inch abs black pipe and several differnt designs and The cat seemed like it had a hairball in it after it was installed.I read that you have to learn to roll the throttle or it chokes it self out because when you hammer it .It does choke.So I had an idea that maybe it was the air filter resricting it.So I removed the filter and it acted the same way just not enough air.Thats when I decided to put the orignal snorkle back on for now and rethink this a bit more.Any ideas of why it wouldnt work. I had 2- 12 inch pipes 2- 90 degree and 1- 60 degree???

Old 01-19-2007, 12:12 PM
Trailblazer

I dont know much about snorkles,but sounds like you need a bigger pipe for more air flow.
For the tires,if you know someone with a Cat that has 26'ers,try em out on yours.
As for my type of ridin,I like just trail ridin now,but I will jump into a mudhole.I really like obstacles,like rocks,logs ditches,but I'll have to get use to it again since its been so long since I went ridin.Got my son a RedCat 110 for Christmas so I have to start goin now.

I also have a Ramsey 2500lbs winch w\ a remote,I love it.