Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Need some advice before buying...

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 04:23 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some advice before buying...

Hello all, I'll start by introducing myself since I'm new to the forums and fairly to the world of ATV's. My name's Tim, I'm 19, and I'm from Charleston, West Virgina. I currently work for Appalachian Log Structures designing log homes. (www.applog.com if you'd like to check it out). My apologies if this isn't in the right section. Keep in mind, I'm not into speed, just trail riding/mudding. I really need two machines or one that is able(leagaly) to carry two passengers. Every reply will be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Okay, onto the questions...

1.) How reliable are the newer Arctic Cat ATV's?

2.) Does anyone have any expierence with the 400cc 2-up AC ATV? If so, please list some pros/cons/problems you've expierenced.

3.) How well are these machines in the mud? I've heard rumors of the 4wd breaking...

4.) Exactly how much safer is the 2-up ATV when riding with 2 passengers?

5.) Is the after market fairly good as far as accessories go?

6.) Please list any other known pros/cons/problems with the newer AC ATV's.

Old 02-13-2007, 05:20 PM
Range Rover

1= very
2=nope never had a two up, but arctic cat has more models than the other two companies that make a two-up, Polaris and Can-Am
3= only breaks Ive read about are the guys who stick giant oversized tires on and abuse the heck out of the atv.
4= two ups are a little longer wheelbase but riding two up is dangerous IMO.
5= not as good as japan brands but mostly anything you want is out there. wheels/tires/winches and such
6= Ac's come with front diff lock giving true 4x4 some others do some dont. Better built more ground clearance than most japan brands. Made in America! 3 year warranty

Old 02-13-2007, 06:04 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

The 2-ups are 8" longer so as to move the front/rear weight bias with two up forward. This does 2 things; It reduces the tendency for the quad to go over backwards on steep hills and keeps more weight on the front tires for better steering.

The 2 ups have the same motors and drivetrains as the standard models.

If you break and axle on a 400 you've done something as the 400 runs the same axles as the 500, 650 and 700.

Several states have outlawed riding 2 up unless the machine was designed for it by the manufacture.

Safety wise, I don't think 2 up riding is anymore dangerous than one up, IF and it is a big if, you use your head and slow down and be cautious. There is a lot of weight top side and you need to act like it. My wife and I rode 2 up on and 2001 AC 250 (which has a crappy weight bias to start with) for 2 years. No accidents or problems, why? Because we didn't hot rod and if we came to a place that looked real difficult, she dismounted and walked thru it and I took the quad thru.

Old 02-13-2007, 07:00 PM
Pro Rider

i have had excellent luck with my cats i have had. you have another option to and that is the arctic cat prowler. pending on the trails in your area allows for this unit to be driven on them, you would have to check that out. in the mud i can idle through alot of stuff where people on other brands get hung up and i gotta go back and pull them out. i have never heard of anyone breaking the 4wd on their arctic cats and i have been coming in this sight for the last 3 years. as for accessories oledad must be smoking something cause arctic cat has the largest lineup of accessories u can choose from. you got the mrp rack which keeps the accessories coming. the only negative i have is the steering is a lil on the harder side and well you can't go 60mph down the trail but if you are looking at a 2up i am guessing you won't anyways.

Old 02-14-2007, 11:02 PM
Pro Rider

The 2 up models are a lot safer, if the trail gets rough. I put a 130 pound kid on the back of my 500i, which is a fairly large and heavy quad. Hardly noticed him back there, until I headed up a hill, and found that my steering was pretty much gone. That could have been unpleasant. The 2 up models put both riders ahead of the rear wheels, so heading up hill doesn't leverage the weight off of the front wheels.

I'm looking into a 650 TRV myself. They aren't cheap, but being able to swap the 2nd seat for a rack has pretty much sold me.