Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

big bear not goin anywhere anytime soon

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 08:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default big bear not goin anywhere anytime soon

i decided to store my 99 big bear400 outside i live in alaska winter was snowy and cold however reasent melt down turn everything to ice want to work on my big bear cause steerings off the throttle sticks and no breaks great combo dont ya think but thats what happen when you try to fix it with super glue and duct tape? Anyway the tires are frozen to the ground too much ice to lift too icey to force it out with a truck wont turn ant its -10 so a blow dyer wont even work outside now, but its goin to get warm soon though and good muddin trails want it ready, muds too deep for my raptor 700 tried it got stuck for spent quite some time getting it out anyway please help

Old 02-22-2007, 09:08 PM
Range Rover

ice pick? salt? stay away from duct tape and super glue?

Old 02-22-2007, 09:55 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much ice is over the tires....Here is a tip for you
Try letting all the air out of the tires too see if the ice formation around them might loosen!!!!!!
If you think there is too much ice for this to work ..than you may need to start choppin with something..........But watch you don't drive the item into the tires!!!!...Caper.........Good luck...

Old 02-22-2007, 10:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

ice pick would take a while theres alot of ice around the tires but if nothing else works

Old 02-22-2007, 11:07 PM
Pro Rider

throw a heavy tarp over it and well carefully place a nipco heater away from it but leave a lil bit open so the heat can get under then tarp. this will A unthaw the tires and B make the engine nice and warm so it should pop right off. i don't need to tell you how to be careful when doing this so you don't start something on fire or melt something. kinda create an igloo small hole blowing hot air right in there.

Old 02-23-2007, 02:57 AM
Pro Rider

Go spend about $10 on a bag of the ice melt stuff for your walkways. Sprinkle a bunch around each tire (or a whole bunch if you wish). Do this in the AM and check it around noon. You should be able to move it easily unless the ice is up the rim.

Be careful with an ice pick as this can hurt a tire if you are not careful.

SJ

Old 02-23-2007, 11:25 AM
Weekend Warrior

I recently took a trip to Alaska and knew quickly this was a harsh land. I went up for a job interview in Anchorage and while there I looked for a place to live. Criteria for a place to live consisted of a garage large enuff for two trucks and an ATV which needed to be heated. Not every home there has this comfort but my point is, you know the climate, prepare for it. Next time, cover it up, maybe build a small shed to put it in. Even if its nothing more than a few 4x4`s with some 2x4`s nailed together to hold a tarp. Put the bike inside. It wont keep it warm but it will keep it clear of snow and ice. Make sure you park the bike on a couple of 2x8 planks to keep the tires off the dirt. Other posts suggest keeping fuel stabilzer of your choosing to keep moisture out of the gas. To assist starting on those cold days, space heaters to warm the air around it is a great idea also Ive heard of people useing an electric blanket wrapped around the motor to warm it up BEFORE starting. Bottom line is preventive maintenance in the warm months will prevent alot of aggrevation and cold fingers during the cold months. Good luck and if nothing else, hang in there, spring is comming.

Old 02-23-2007, 01:36 PM
"If you haven't any charity in your heart, you have the worst kind of heart trouble." ~Bob Hope

Ever consider getting a couple of 5 gal pails and filling with hot water an dumping them slowly around the tires? break the fronts or rears loose first and put something under them and then work on the others. Melts the ice pretty fast unless it's really thick.

Old 02-23-2007, 10:11 PM
Pro Rider

fossil's idea would work to but put a jack under the front and keep pressure on it and it should pop up then do the same to the back. lots of good idea's which are alot better then trying to force it out with a truck