Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Yet another 250 problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 09:49 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yet another 250 problem

I have a 2005 AC 250 I bought new back in April and it's given me nothing but problems ever since. After it starts and runs for a while, it runs fine while your giving it gas, but when you stop in first gear without going to neutral, it dies, will not idle in gear. I need to take it to the dealer to have it looked at because it should still be under warranty. I went out to start it this morning and now the thing won't start. It turns over fine and you can hold the electric start all day long without running the battery down. It turns over constantly, but the motor never even sputters like its going to start. I checked the spark plug and it looks fine. Besides that, anybody have reccomendations for getting it started? It's been sitting for about two months, so I'm sure that's part of the problem.

Thanks

Old 02-12-2007, 11:27 PM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

check to see if its getting fuel. if its been sitting for a while then it may have vapor lock or water in the fuel tank. try draining the bowl for about 10 seconds. or spray a dab of starter fluid in the spark plug hole. if it starts and runs for a few seconds then you know its not getting fuel.

Old 02-12-2007, 11:35 PM
Pro Rider

don't spray starting fluid down the cylinder. just poor a lil dab of gas down there. it almost seems like your carb just needs to be cleaned and adjusted. if it has been sitting for two months it is possible that the gas dropped from the carb and sometimes it takes alot of cranking to get the fuel primed up. i guess my dad said it best a motor needs 3 things spark fuel and compression. a person pretty well much knows when it has compression. so that leaves you with spark and fuel. what is the temperatures there? if it got a lil colder the machine it could have a lil speck of ice in the carb to. try some isopropyl.

Old 02-12-2007, 11:40 PM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

dont forget air weez. lol, cant have fire without oxygen! hes right dont use atarter fluid though.

Old 02-13-2007, 07:01 PM
Pro Rider

lol you are correct mud if you get a mousenest in the air cleaner which i have had happen it won't run.

Old 02-13-2007, 11:56 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Remove the spark plug and report back on what it looks like.

Old 02-23-2007, 08:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well I went out today and turned the key on, choked it, hit the button, and it sputtered a little. So I hit the button again and it fired right up. I let it warm up, then rode it around the yard. Turned it off and pulled the plug it was BLACK. For some reason the dang thing keeps fouling spark plugs one right after the other. Also, if I turned the choke off, it would die every time. I could leave the choke on and it would run perfect. Also, every time I start it, it idles up real high and runs like that for about 2-3 minutes, then the rpm's go back down and it idles normal, still won't idle with the choke off though.

Anybody got an idea on this, this things have got to be related.

Old 02-23-2007, 10:07 PM
Pro Rider

sounds like you aren't getting enough fuel. you gotta set your caburator to specs. and it will rev up high while it is warming up for a few minutes until it gets warm and the idle will slow down. if you got a speck of dirt in your carb or something it will make it run like this. if you have any mechanic skills it should take you about 20 min to pull the carb off clean it and set the jets.

Old 02-23-2007, 10:43 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: DJH1
Well I went out today and turned the key on, choked it, hit the button, and it sputtered a little. So I hit the button again and it fired right up. I let it warm up, then rode it around the yard. Turned it off and pulled the plug it was BLACK. For some reason the dang thing keeps fouling spark plugs one right after the other. Also, if I turned the choke off, it would die every time. I could leave the choke on and it would run perfect. Also, every time I start it, it idles up real high and runs like that for about 2-3 minutes, then the rpm's go back down and it idles normal, still won't idle with the choke off though.

Anybody got an idea on this, this things have got to be related.
The plug is black because you have to keep the choke on to keep it running. The idle mixture needs adjusting. The pilot screw need to be check for proper adjustment (I will bet its to far in making the motor to lean), it should be set at 1 3/4 turns from lightly seated. after you do that, the idle speed needs to be set to 1250-1350 rpms, engine warm and in neutral. You may have a float level issue also, but set the pilot screw and idle speed first. If that doesn't cure it, then pull the carb and float bowl to check the float height.

Old 02-24-2007, 01:17 PM
Pro Rider

the easiest way to set the float level is to put a clean fuel line on the carb and hold the carb upside down. when blowing in the line the float should be level or close to it before you can't blow in there anymore. i've seen my daddy use this technique many of times with perfect results every time.